Pulled the trigger on a Holley Sniper today

-
I wish you all the luck in the world.....but @67 gt's quote is "it runs pretty good". For over a grand, I better have wet dreams goin down the road. S'all I'm sayin.

I wish you all the luck in the world.....but @67 gt's quote is "it runs pretty good". For over a grand, I better have wet dreams goin down the road. S'all I'm sayin.
Cmon Rusty I didn’t want to play it up. What I should have said is and it does it runs like a scaled cat . $1000 dollars or 2k it really doesn’t matter to me . If you can afford to go down that route that’s ok if not that’s ok aswell. I’m just sharing my experience. People are happy running carbs some others want to venture out and it does come at a cost like everything in this world.

Cmon Rusty I didn’t want to play it up. What I should have said is and it does it runs like a scaled cat . $1000 dollars or 2k it really doesn’t matter to me . If you can afford to go down that route that’s ok if not that’s ok aswell. I’m just sharing my experience. People are happy running carbs some others want to venture out and it does come at a cost like everything in this world.

I get it man. I'm just sayin if I spent that and it ran really good, I'd be jumpin in all these threads like this and lettin people know. You seem less than enthusiastic. I've seen some of these conversions first hand helping a local friend try to patch some up that he did......and not one of them ran acceptable. Not one. Plus, lots of people on here say similar things.

Here's where I'm at with it. Until someone can offer factory reliability and high performance with plug and play installation, I ain't buyin it. ....and I may not buy it then.

Haha yeah I understand I’m enthusiastic I just don’t like to play things up, that’s me . In all honesty a few mates have these systems on their rides and and the same thing they haven’t had any issues and they are pretty happy with them. I’ve replaced the 02 a few months back due to experiencing some wacky afr readings on warm up and would settle once I was driving but it didn’t cause any drivability issues, I went with the ATK sensor and it resolved the problem . I agree with the plug and play it ain’t that straight forward as they claim. One another thing a lot of people put these on engines which ain’t up to scratch oil burners , poor exhaust leaks , air leaks , poor earths and wiring connections where a carburettor would still work but with these systems are very touchy and everything needs to be right for them to work reliable. For the price of these units their wiring looms should have a covering to eliminate the RFI , EMI issues which a lot of people experience due to the ecu built in the front of the throttle body. They did this with the Terminator the ECU box now can be fitted inside the cabin eliminating the RFI issues .I feel sorry for the Ford guys as the distributor placed in front causes RFI problems and they need to run a shield in front of the throttle body just so it will function or when they close their bonnet the unit will play up , open bonnet unit runs fine.

Though not a Mopar I have the Pro Flo 4 on my 427 Windsor in my Mach 1 and it is night and day compared to the dyno tuned Quick Fuel carb that the engine came with.

tCrr1JH.jpg

Haha yeah I understand I’m enthusiastic I just don’t like to play things up, that’s me . In all honesty a few mates have these systems on their rides and and the same thing they haven’t had any issues and they are pretty happy with them. I’ve replaced the 02 a few months back due to experiencing some wacky afr readings on warm up and would settle once I was driving but it didn’t cause any drivability issues, I went with the ATK sensor and it resolved the problem . I agree with the plug and play it ain’t that straight forward as they claim. One another thing a lot of people put these on engines which ain’t up to scratch oil burners , poor exhaust leaks , air leaks , poor earths and wiring connections where a carburettor would still work but with these systems are very touchy and everything needs to be right for them to work reliable. For the price of these units their wiring looms should have a covering to eliminate the RFI , EMI issues which a lot of people experience due to the ecu built in the front of the throttle body. They did this with the Terminator the ECU box now can be fitted inside the cabin eliminating the RFI issues .I feel sorry for the Ford guys as the distributor placed in front causes RFI problems and they need to run a shield in front of the throttle body just so it will function or when they close their bonnet the unit will play up , open bonnet unit runs fine.

Well......I'll not defend this guy any on that.....while he's a friend of mine and an EXCELLENT, I mean REALLY good paint and body guy, he has no business under a hood. LOL He thinks he knows way more than he does. SO I feel sure he was responsible for over 90% of the issues he's had.

If I thought for a minute, I could get one of those kits to run well for me, I might do it. But my luck doesn't run that way. I'd never get that sumbitch right. lol

i have a buddy that has installed a few sniper kits.. the one i saw is on a 502 chevy in a chevelle.. holy crap does that ***** run.. he just put one on his charger.. car isn't finished yet so we will see how that one runs..

to me these tanks are the way to go.. in tank pump. holley sells the exact same set up at a higher price..

Mopar Fuel Tanks

yuo can ge a nice kit from summit that includes: a 255 lph fuel pump and sending unit compatible with factory gauges and tank straps for under 500 bucks..

Tanks Inc. TCR11B-T-KIT Tanks Inc. Fuel Tank Kits | Summit Racing

here are the pics of the tank from when i bought one.. its still in the box waiting for me to get around to buying a sniper kit..lol EFI Tank for the dart...

Curious about installation too, please either keep this going, or do a nice install post that could be made into a sticky, that would be great.

That was what the guy at Holley said. Where did you find instructions on how to do that? So you are saying that I can forget about springs and program how fast the advance kicks in through the Sniper?

You got it! I don't know if the sniper has instructions on how to set it up, but here are a few helpful vids.

You'll need this rotor also MSD 84211 Rotor Phasing Kit for MSD Distributors

I’ll add that before you install to wrap the wires in shielding. A lot easier to do on the workbench than in the car. I also did not have the Sniper control the timing initially. Kind of a baby steps install as I had (still have) a lot to learn.

But once it’s running, it’s so easy to change the tune. Try something, don’t like it and it takes 10 seconds to go back.

i have a buddy that has installed a few sniper kits.. the one i saw is on a 502 chevy in a chevelle.. holy crap does that ***** run.. he just put one on his charger.. car isn't finished yet so we will see how that one runs..

I will say this.....all the systems I've seen and "very little" messed with have been fitech. I've not seen a Sniper yet and everything I read about them says they are WAY better than the fitech. If I thought for a second one would be total plug and play and end up right......AND fit the theme of my car, I'd consider it.

I will say this.....all the systems I've seen and "very little" messed with have been fitech. I've not seen a Sniper yet and everything I read about them says they are WAY better than the fitech. If I thought for a second one would be total plug and play and end up right......AND fit the theme of my car, I'd consider it.
Yea I hear ya get what ya pay for with fitech. It can work but it's towards the bottom of the barrel system from everything I see about it

I went with a terminator. Pretty bad ***, I’m pleased but setting the timing was confusing with the duel sync distributor. I still have to double check it. You’ll need a actual computer to fine tune it and use its full potential unfortunately.. very misleading with the “ self learning BS” it DOES but not like you think. Had to have a friend over who knows Holley stuff to get it to do what I actually wanted it to do. BUT money well spent I’d say

0B2968D8-D13A-426F-B1DA-AB2FCB169992.jpeg

Curious about installation too, please either keep this going, or do a nice install post that could be made into a sticky, that would be great.
The only real ***** about it is the mating the Chrysler wire harness with what the Holley wants.. key on and run it a discussion all on its own. Also get a higher amp alt. To support everything if you have a stock one. Fuel pump, fan, ecu etc. Good voltage regulator. My slant 6 one didn’t keep up, went with a 74 model. Holley sells a drop in factory tank 255 pump in the factory sending unit. No return line needed with that unit

Well, I've had some time to think about it, and I am going to cancel my order with Holley on Monday. After I got it started the other day, it has started fine and ran great since. I got a new battery also. My old one was 11 years old, and went down pretty fast while cranking. I drove my car to a car to a car show about 40 miles away yesterday. It is a GREAT show put on by a church in a small town. GREAT food and lots of fun. Anyway, the car ran great all day. I mean it ran SO well that I got to thinking, why am I spending $1400 on FI? So I am going to go with the suggestion @dogbreath made and get an electric fuel pump. I will need to do some research. And RRR is right. For $1400 it better be a really good dream.

An electric fuel pump would have taken care of your cold start issue.
You are right. Did you go down that path? If so, what did you use> Will I need a regulator?

Totally agree!

I get it man. I'm just sayin if I spent that and it ran really good, I'd be jumpin in all these threads like this and lettin people know. You seem less than enthusiastic. I've seen some of these conversions first hand helping a local friend try to patch some up that he did......and not one of them ran acceptable. Not one. Plus, lots of people on here say similar things.

Here's where I'm at with it. Until someone can offer factory reliability and high performance with plug and play installation, I ain't buyin it. ....and I may not buy it then.

guess u never read any of my posts about my fast 2.0 set up , love tuning from the drivers seat !!

guess u never read any of my posts about my fast 2.0 set up , love tuning from the drivers seat !!

No, because I don't seek out EFI posts, since I'm not going to run it. I'm glad yours runs good though.

Funny, I been screwing around with the idea of EFI and/or electric fuel pumps. Kinda for the same reason too. When she sits too long it takes forever to get the fuel up to the carb. What I done this time was just fill the float bowls with a small funnel. Before the float bowls go empty there should be fuel there from the tank.
Now I know there are other benefits to the electric pump like being able to run a return line and keep the fuel cooler etc, but sometimes simple and cheap is where it's at!
I been driving my project for a while now and though I love it, I realize now how many things I did to it because the internet said I needed to and I know now that I got alot of extra **** on my car that's kind of along for the ride.
Enjoy your car and your carb!

Cley

-
Back