Pullin the /6 out with tranny?

-

wheelz 63 dart gt

Reaction score
I WANT TO PULL MY /6 OUT WITH MY TRANSMISSION. CAN I PULL THEM OUT TOGETHER OR DO I HAVETO DISCONNECT THE PUSHBUTTON TRANSMISSION DROP IY, AND THEN PULL THE ENGINE? I WANT TO PULL THEM OUT TOGETHER AND GET MY BAY ALL CLEANED AND PAINTED. cAN SOME ONEONE TELL ME THE EASIEST , AND MOST LOGICAL METHOD. SO FAR IVE DISCONNECTED MY PLUMBING , AND ELECTRICAL, AND DRIVE SHAFT. WHAY SHOULD I DO NEXT? THANKS.

you will want to pull your radiator. i usually just unbolt the tranny from the engine and pull just the engine and leave the tranny in place. you will need to put a jack, or block of wood under the tranny to hole it up though. with the slant six, its just too long to do both at the same time. at least it is for me. but i dont have anyone to help. maybe it can be done with two people. good luck.

Why you gotta holler about it? lol

YEAH, IVE GOT MY RADIATOR AND GRILL OUT. THE BOOK SAID TO DISCONNECT MY SPEEDO CABLE AND THE TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER LINES. I WILL NOT HAVE ANY ONE HELPING ME. IT DOES LOOK EASIER TO JUST UNBOLT THE ENGINE FROM THE TRANS. I NEED TO REPAIR MY PARK CABLE AND I COULD JUST LEAVE THE TRANS IN AND PULL THE SIX. i CAN DO THAT ALONE, RIGHT? MY WIND SHIELD IS GONE, SO I WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BREAKING IT. HA!. WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO HOOK UP THE MOTOR WITH MY CHAIN?

YEAH, IVE GOT MY RADIATOR AND GRILL OUT. THE BOOK SAID TO DISCONNECT MY SPEEDO CABLE AND THE TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER LINES. I WILL NOT HAVE ANY ONE HELPING ME. IT DOES LOOK EASIER TO JUST UNBOLT THE ENGINE FROM THE TRANS. I NEED TO REPAIR MY PARK CABLE AND I COULD JUST LEAVE THE TRANS IN AND PULL THE SIX. i CAN DO THAT ALONE, RIGHT? MY WIND SHIELD IS GONE, SO I WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BREAKING IT. HA!. WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO HOOK UP THE MOTOR WITH MY CHAIN?

As far as where to hook up the chain,I hooked mine near the front right,next to the water neck,and to the left rear of the motor.I had to use a balancer like in the picture because the engine wanted to tilt to the left.
images

A lot will depend on how carried away you're getting with the engine compartment. If you're just cleaning and painting from the pinchweld up, you can leave the trans in place. If you're doing the tunnel too, then the trans needs to go also. If you want to pull them together, I like going out the bottom, k-member and all. Pulling them together out the top is just asking for damage to the radiator core support or firewall....especially on the reinstallation. On an engine-only pull, I use the hole in the front of the head as one anchor and I wrap a chain around the #6 intake runner and bolt it together as the other. Keeps it pretty straight. A lot depends where you attach the hook and on which accessories you have.... like P/S and A/C. I usually pull them loose first.

Oh yeah, and hit the caps lock button will you? All caps is considered shouting and drives people crazy! :)

I used a bit of 6mm x 50 mm angle bolted in the middle of the head.picked it up damn near perfect.Theirs two bolt holes on top of the head,you have to take your rocker cover off(one in the middle one at the back,use both for eng and tranny and the middle one for engine only)
liftinglug.jpg

Wow, thanks for the help fella's. I just bought a 2 ton cherry picker yesterday,and im itchen to pull this motor. I am only going to pull the motor. i will leave the trans in for now. sorry about yelling, i had my music turned up too loud. HA! Thanks again guyz.I will keep you posted on progress, and ill take pics today. so when i un bolt the motor from the trans, it should just slide right, out, right?

I've always found it easier to do it like it was designed. Just drop the entire K frame out with engine trans and all on it. Especially with the early cars cause the engine compartment is pretty tight. That's just my personal preference. Most of the time when people do these little cars, they are redoing the brakes and puttin new torsion bars in and more stuff that would be easier if the K frame were removed. If you have a cherry picker, you can get the front end high enough to get the engine out from the bottom.

Wow, thanks for the help fella's. I just bought a 2 ton cherry picker yesterday,and im itchen to pull this motor. I am only going to pull the motor. i will leave the trans in for now. sorry about yelling, i had my music turned up too loud. HA! Thanks again guyz.I will keep you posted on progress, and ill take pics today. so when i un bolt the motor from the trans, it should just slide right, out, right?
Remove the 4 torque converter bolts first or you'll have ATF all over the floor. Once you have the dust shield off, you'll have access to them. If the engine doesn't turn over all the way, you may have to rotate the crank back and forth and use the starter hole to get all 4 of them. Once they're out just push the converter to the rear a bit so it doesn't hang up in the crank when you break the engine loose.

Ok, i got the motor out today. Every thing went prerry smooth. It took me a while, but i was alone. I have it sitting in a spare tire in front my Dart now. I do have an engine stand, though i am having trouble as to where I should bolt my motor. Can some one tell me . Thanks. I am going to get her looking brand new! I cant wait!

Are you seperated from the trans? Use tranny mount bolts to put motor on a stand, if they are still together, just set them on a Harbor Freight furniture dolly and put a block under the pan to keep the leaner from leaning. Rolls around nice. I pulled mine (and installed it) together and that **** was long. Had the fan about 6 feet in the air so I could clear the taishaft over the radiator support. Leveler would be nice, but you do with what you got,

yea the trans is still in. I will try to bolt it upto the engine stand with those bolts. Do I need to take any thing off the motor so it ffits in the engine stand hole? im not sure how to bolt it up yo the engine stand. it is 525 pounds. i dont want any thing to bend or break. i do have one of those furniture dollies though. My Father in Law owns a caster and wheel shop, i can put wheels on any thing. S&S Dayton industrial supply.We are located in San Marcos CA. I

Its not going to mount on a stand with the trans attached. You need the bellhousing holes to mount the motor to the MOTOR stand. Just go with the dolly. Motor stand is usually used to R&R a motor, so you can turn it over to install a crank, etc. IF you flip over the passenger motor mount bracket, it can be a kickstand.

Ok, i got the motor out today. Every thing went prerry smooth. It took me a while, but i was alone. I have it sitting in a spare tire in front my Dart now. I do have an engine stand, though i am having trouble as to where I should bolt my motor. Can some one tell me . Thanks. I am going to get her looking brand new! I cant wait!
Yeah, those engines can be pretty top heavy. Adjust the engine stand adaptor so it's as high on the engine as possible. The idea is to get the adaptor mounted in the middle of the weight. Even then, take car when you rotate the engine so you don't get hurt if it flops over as the center of weight will change as you remove parts.

Glad you got the motor out. I used to take the slant motor and trans together but it's a tight fit and you usually end up scratching the paint on the engine bay. All in all it takes about 1/2 hr to get er out. Try doing that with a Toyota 6 banger!

I just did the same to mine but I pulled the whole shebang at once. It's a tight squeeze but it can be done. Just make sure you unbolt that fricken transmount crossmemberor that sucker won't make the turn!](*,)

-
Back