Push button 904 Park Shifter Cable

-

Aball

Reaction score
I have a 1963 Dodge Dart wagon with the 904 push button. The park cable was broken so I have a replacement and have it installed in the trans but to install the new one at the back of the push button mechanism I have to remove the old one from a 'clamp' or Park cable Collar as per the pic. Any advice as to how to pry this open without damaging or breaking it? Its sort of hard to reach under the dash but would prefer to do this without pulling the whole set up out. Thanks!
park-cable-lock-dash-buttons.jpg

Pull the bracket with the cable and swap them out on the bench. I usually just put the bracket in the vice and pry the cable out carefully. Then use the vice to squeeze the new cable into the prongs and squeeze the ends a hair to hold the cable housing tight.

Pull the bracket with the cable and swap them out on the bench. I usually just put the bracket in the vice and pry the cable out carefully. Then use the vice to squeeze the new cable into the prongs and squeeze the ends a hair to hold the cable housing tight.
Thanks I will give that a try! definitely hard to open the clamp under the dash. Cheers

-
Back