putting a vinyl top on the Oldschoolcuda

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have been mulling over for some time and have decided to put a vinyl top on my 65 cuda. Want different look while staying oldschool and not going pro street, pro touring or whatever is modern. Have prepped the top and have complete trim set from a 66. Still deciding on whether to buy bulk material & fab ( wife is an awesome upholsterer but has never done a top) , buy pre-cut top & install( good luck on vendor) or drop some dime and have excellent local upholstery shop install. Here are couple of pre pics of roof. Will keep posted on install and hopefully will look as good as last pic.

Thanks
Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts 002.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 504
  • parts 001.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 529
  • parts 005.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 536
  • parts 006.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 505
  • cuda vinyl top2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 524
There was one on a used car lot years ago in N. Charleston, SC. It was white with a black vinyl top. I always thought the vinyl tops looked sharp, as long as the car is garage kept and the top is taken care of.

When I picked up my old 66 back in 1980 (had to swap my engine in to start with) I had to peel the old vinyl top off so that I could drive home without it flapping in the breeze. It never went back on. I had the car painted black, but kept the top trim for a different look.

Attachments

• Donna Lil Cuda Sac 1983 01.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 496
I would suggest that you look into painted tops instead of a vinyl top.
Mabye a painted matte black top and figure a way to have the grain put into the paint or something

Not sure if you knew or not but the windshield gasket is different on the vinyl top cars, and it's not being reproduced. It has a different lip on the outer edge where it meets the vinyl, probably not a big deal though. I think the top looks great!

Not sure if you knew or not but the windshield gasket is different on the vinyl top cars, and it's not being reproduced. It has a different lip on the outer edge where it meets the vinyl, probably not a big deal though. I think the top looks great!
Yes & have that gasket but will not use, my cuda will never be in a concurs de what ever so not concerned. Had the fortune of stripping a wrecked 66 cuda with vinyl top & 273 commando back in 2003. Passenger side trim was toast but stripped drivers side trim, drivers side rear roof piece & windshield gasket but was short complete set. Commando engine from 66 doner car is is now in my valiant.

I would use the Mod Top material! Did you just get the trim off Ebay.
Yep. That was me.

When I picked up my old 66 back in 1980 (had to swap my engine in to start with) I had to peel the old vinyl top off so that I could drive home without it flapping in the breeze. It never went back on. I had the car painted black, but kept the top trim for a different look.
My friends 66 cuda with 20 yr. old vinyl top ( re-done in 93 ) still looks perfect especially going down the quarter in low 12's. Put 3.55 gears in my cuda thinking it would be driven more. Not the case as she maybe goes only 500 miles a year since I finished build & have not been to track since 2010 ,so time to change or sell. Car is in high 12's now but hopefully with a gear change back to 4.10's or better and a few other tweaks the Oldschooler will tickle the 11's with a vinyl top which would be awesome and keep me interested.

Oldschoolcuda

My 73 dart is in good shape , but on c- pillar behind back window , three is some separation at bottom chrome piece and up about 5 inches some bubbling under the vinyl , thinking a little surface rust , top is cheap like 150 from classic industries , it is a boar grain which is original grain . But a lot of trim around glass front and rear rain gutter trim and edge trim ! 700 . 00 in labor at my local shop !

And hey, even if you ever have to strip the top again, it's cheaper than BUYING paint and painting it yourself.

Honestly, if you are into old cars, dumping cash into it, it should be taken care of, regardless.

My friends 20 yr. old 66 cuda with vinyl top ( re-done in 93 ) still looks perfect ...
Oldschoolcuda

Yeah, mine had lived a harsh life before I got it. In 1975 (when the previous owner got it) it had guard rail damage down the right side and tired paint. When I got it five years later the motor was worn out with one burned piston and four or five broken compression rings. It's amazing how good the car still looks today, considering...

back in 1979 i bought a 66 273 auto with a vinyl top,,first one ide ever seen,, i tore it off,, kept all the trim and was going to reuse it for that look of all that stainless,,, i dont remember when or who,, some one offerd to buy the trim before i finished painting the car,,i alwysa wished ide of kept it,,, very hard to find,,,

back in 1979 i bought a 66 273 auto with a vinyl top,,first one ide ever seen,, i tore it off,, kept all the trim and was going to reuse it for that look of all that stainless,,, i dont remember when or who,, some one offerd to buy the trim before i finished painting the car,,i alwysa wished ide of kept it,,, very hard to find,,,

Yes,fstfish trim is almost impossible to find. Was actually wet sanding roof to get paint to pop a little more. Just can't quite get a minor blemish out that probably only I can see but got me thinking vinyl again and of all things complete trim set just happened to be on the bay so jumped on it.(did go to church yesterday,& if trim owned by a member,Thank You.) Have just personally always loved the look of the tops on the 66's and think the black top will really pop with my white paint and make her really stand out. SMS auto fabrics can make a top for me and is sending a sample to look at before deciding. From my research( always subjective to change with ma mopar) a few 65's did actually get vinyl tops. Goal is to have car ready for a show in May so will hopefully start install process in a couple of weeks & take some good pics.

Oldschoolcuda

The "999" paint code yellow 65 Formula S that was discussed at length recently on the sale pages has a vinyl top.

Also, while I do agree that the top looks great on these cars, I told myself back when I had my first car (67 Buick Skylark) that I would never own another car with a vinyl top that didn't fold down behind the back seat. Now, with that said, if the car is garaged it won't wind up looking like my old 66 did and the 67 was beginning to look like.

When I bought my 66 Barracuda last year, the factory vinyl top was toast from the NM sun. After considering many options, I finally decided to let my upholstery man do what he said he could do. Order a white vinyl top from his source that supplies most all cars that would closely match the original grain pattern and install it. Apparently the standard distance between the "seams" is like 40" or so which matched what was originally on my Barracuda.

Now, the windshield gasket is different on vinyl cars, but believe me, the non-vinyl top windshield gasket works just fine. No problem in appearance or function. The upholsterer removed the windshield and back glass (At the same time, he also installed a new headliner and that requires removing both front and rear glasses)

I not sure what SMS will charge for a vinyl top, but you might shop around before buying. The material is not that expensive if ordered from many suppliers.

Bottom line...I paid a total of $550 for: a new installed vinyl top, removing and reinstalling both front and rear glasses and installing new gaskets and installation of the headliner. (I supplied the headliner and front and rear gaskets, he supplied the vinyl top)

My car was originally ordered with a white vinyl top over white body paint which, while not a necessarily stunning combination in appearance was a good choice for the Roswell, NM owner.

I guess if I had it do over, I would have done the same thing...but I like to keep em original as possible.

A couple of picts. The car and a closeup of the extra lip on vinyl top windshield gasket...it has a 1/4" extra width around the side and top where overlaps the vinyl. But again the non-vinyl works fine.

Good luck on your decision.

Attachments

• 66 PB White F:S ext7.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 400
  • 66 Barr F:S NJ windshield seal 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 385
I have seen a lot of talk on vinyl tops lately. An idea that I thought would be interesting is using the trim, but panel and lace the section instead of vinyl on top.

I know someone who was thinking of using roll-on bed liner. I did not think it was a bad idea.

Jim, you're holding out on me. Never saw that picture of the car before. Still had green interior!

Bruce let me know when you do it, I would love to lend a hand. Never did one before.

Cool, thanks Rick will definitely give you a buzz. Probably looking at 2 weeks before we start process. Have fabric sample on the way & my upholsterer( MJ ) is ready.

Bottom line...I paid a total of $550 for: a new installed vinyl top, removing and reinstalling both front and rear glasses and installing new gaskets and installation of the headliner. (I supplied the headliner and front and rear gaskets, he supplied the vinyl top)

That is a great deal & your white top looks very cool. Really appreciate the info.

Oldschoolcuda

Jim, you're holding out on me. Never saw that picture of the car before. Still had green interior!

Yeah, there are a few more. I'll have to search them all out. Hard to believe that Donna is 21 in that pic...Where has the time gone?

-
Back