PUZZLER!!! My new motors a dog! what did I miss?

-
Using Lunatis recommended method of degrees at .050 lift

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 271
It comes out close to dead on....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 237
After all I have seen here.... If its not faulty timing components... Its going to be a leaking intake manifold underneath in the valley area.....

If I did the centerline method correctly I come out at 105.5 installed.....
My cam card says 108 installed makes the cam 4 degrees advanced....that means I am 2.5 over advanced.....

Interesting ! 2 different outcomes from 2 different methods...... I never touched the degree wheel , pointer or dial indicator.

I will redo it to confirm.

Recheck comes out to 104.75 installed....
Which is within the margin of error using my dinky little Mopar wheel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 224
My new wheel was too bid too fit....lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 238
Can you get a clear pic of the crank gear without the degree wheel on it? And one of both the cam and crank gears.

After all I have seen here.... If its not faulty timing components... Its going to be a leaking intake manifold underneath in the valley area.....

Maybe, but it should be using oil like a pig

as another check...you can check intake opening and intake closing against the cam card...

Crank gear..... Sharpe mark is where the key way was installed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 264
Well, looks like you're good there. Time to start looking elsewhere. What are you running for ignition?

Got her to 107 centerline now and calling it good !

I've got Trailbeasts HEI on the way . I'm running Mopar electronic with orange box and a Jacobs coil currently.

We will see if 2-3 degrees really makes a DOG !

I would have bet money that thing was off. Now, look.........I'm not trying to be insulting. Is there ANY chance you screwed these measurements up before you put this all back together?

EG how about some details on how you established TDC? How many degrees, "about", example, "each side" of TDC did the piston stop "at the stop?"

I ran into one guy who tried to do so by screwing the stop up and down at the top of piston travel.

Used a stop....took reading at before and after.... Split difference of two readings.

No offense taken .

I used my old small degree wheel so there is some error there possibly and my eyes aren't what they used to be.....
I redid each reading several times to verify accuracy.

And I rechecked the degrees @ .050 afterwards and it moved accordingly....
I don't understand why the 2 readings were different.

Sounds like you did 'er right. The centerline method can be "off" a bit if the cam lobe is not symmetrical. Make sure you always go CW, if you go "past," back up "a bunch" and approach going CW once again, or go "clear around"

I just put a regrind in, and I forget, I think I advanced it 6 just to get it to where the paperwork says for intake lobe center.

Make sure you always go CW, if you go "past," back up "a bunch" and approach going CW once again, or go "clear around"

I don't like to back up at all, if I miss it, I go all the way around again in the same direction. I try to minimize my operator error influence as much as possible. :eek:ops:

I have it all apart and ready to check timing...work and gf and hockey and dirtbiking and family keep getting in the way. Will get her buttoned up this evening.
I ordered the HEI conversion just in case it turns out to be a faulty control box.(I don't think so but...)

I also ordered a Moroso 18" degree wheel only to figure out that I have a Depth Perception problem...Its really big!!. "Apperhently I do not have 12 inches! ". Lol....

that last prob like this was last week... the guy found that he lined the timing chain up wrong..let me find that thread and picture...

the install was looked correct and when I checked the alignment using the method Lunati recomended it was spot on. But it was 2.5 off when I checked using the centerline method.
1st time I moved it I went wrong way....2nd time brought it to my 107 installed. It actually made me feel better to see that the math came out the same just + and - of true centerline both times.

I have built and degreed several engines over the years but when they are 10 yrs apart from each other you have to stop and think each time.

HA !!!! my degree wheel say direct connection !! Thats how long its been since I first got it! ( some members might not even recognize the name..lol

-
Back