QA1 Tubular K Member - Who runs one on a street car? Reviews?

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking of putting a QA1 tubular K-member and associated parts on my '69 Dart.
Who is currently running one on a street driven car?
Reviews?
Info?

Thanks in advance!

There are two schools of thought and depends what your plans are for the car.

My .02 think it is a waste of cash that could go towards other things.

However; if you need bragging items than it is one way to spend the money. Apparently corner carving with modern vehicles then tubular is the way to go.

As soon as I finish posting this the butt hurts will come out of woodwork.
Mopar action green brick formula

I have one and love it. My decision was based on ease of service. I can drop my pan in 10 minutes and it makes installing headers easier in my case. The weight difference is negligible. Very easy to install so long as you buy (or make) the centering bushings.

If you can search through my old posts, I uploaded photos and the bushing part number that I used. Those bushing tightened up the steering a lot.

Edit:

Last edited:
I put one on my 70 Duster. The installation of the K went great and it gave lots more room underneath. I replaced the LCA's with QA1's at the same time and got PST adjustable strut rods. Biggest gripe was the strut mount on the driver side was likely not welded correctly. When the strut bar was in the LCA, the swivel mount would not line up with the hole in the K member. QA1 thought it was a bad LCA, so they sent another. Same issue. They said their K member could not do that, but they would investigate and let me know. Never heard from them again. Ended up heating & bending the strut rod a little to make it fit. Very frustrating to spend that much money on those parts to have that happen.

I'm seriously thinking of putting a QA1 tubular K-member and associated parts on my '69 Dart.
Who is currently running one on a street driven car?
Reviews?
Info?

Thanks in advance!
You need to be more specific. QA1 makes a tubular K that retains the torsion bars, and they have one that is a coil over/rack and pinion conversion.

You need to be more specific. QA1 makes a tubular K that retains the torsion bars, and they have one that is a coil over/rack and pinion conversion.

I only see QA1 PN52313 listed for 67-72 A-bodies. The installation guide on the QA1 website specifically mentions torsion bars in the instructions.

no help for comparison here , but I`ve been running a magnum force early drag front end for about 12 ish yrs. , I did make some liteweight strut rods to help relieve the strain on the lower control arm "bolts" , its good on a good road and the dragstrip , but not so hot on Okla. pigtrails.
I got a deal on it when I was first building the car , and was adding up what it was going to take $ wise to rebuild it , and have never liked the center sump pans on mopars , I run a full 9 qt racing pan w/ single ext. pick up , just because I always wanted one on the old hemi car ....

QA1 bought Gerst tubular suspension which had a full k frame no torsion coil spring kit. They changed a few things to the Gerst and sell it as QA1.

I only see QA1 PN52313 listed for 67-72 A-bodies. The installation guide on the QA1 website specifically mentions torsion bars in the instructions.
I don't have any specific comments on this K besides it is looks nice...lol. I purchased one and never installed since I ended up switching to an HDK coil over K setup. I don't see any real performance gains besides extra space to work on the engine and it may be marginally lighter. I think it is a good option if you don't have a V8 K and need one. I also think their tubular LCAs will allow you to lower the car more.

Has there ever been a tubular k-member that has spool type engine mounts? I thought QA1 had them but can't find it.

I have the old Gerst, before QA1 took it, coil over front suspension on my '69 Dart. The triangulated 4-link rear too. They didn't change much, except raise the price about 2 k and a little here and there just to make it theirs. Some of the rumors about Gerst are BS. QA 1 won't do a manual rack and pinion either. I won't say anymore.
I like my manual set up and coil over. Yes, it has spool engine mounts.

-
Back