Quality masking tape recommendations needed

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
So I moved a couple years ago from having several autobody supply stores within easy driving distance to an autobody desert. I've been forced to either order supplies online or make due with home improvement crap. And everything I have tried from Autobody Supplies Online has been a failure.

I'm used to purchasing good masking tape that has a crepe or ability to take a curve. All the stuff I have tried online as well as my local NAPA is horrible. If I knew a good brand and part number or "name" for the good stuff I could at least get it right when I order online. Any suggestions for tape that will take a curve without lifting up? Even the 3-M stuff I have ordered has been a bust. Thanks, Jerry

If its an important curve, Ill use 1/8" tape (I have a feeling Im preaching to the choir, but Ill continue) first then to the 1" for masking. As far as quality, I've had some good luck getting stuff from eastwood. But having the panel clean and doing the skinny stuff first usually works pretty good. Sorry I dont have a specific brand in my post. I think eastwood sells a "hotcoat" but might be overkill as its for powdercoating or something like that.

Boy I have purchased a lot the above mentioned tapes and none come close to what I have been accustomed to. I used to get a 3M scotch brand tape that was the traditional tan color from my local NAPA in Minnesota and it was awesome. They were a Martin Senour paint mix store and this was sold for autobody work. I mean unless you were doing fine stripes you did not need the thin fine line tape at all. But I just can't seem to find it anymore, or it has been changed or something? It was like crepe paper in that it would make curves around windshield corners without lifting, and I'm talking 3/4" wide tape. Everything I use now will lift if you try that so it makes you use a bunch of short pieces to make a curve which is just wrong.

Call me spoiled but nothing compares to what was out there as late as maybe 15 years ago... Also, and I apologize for the rant, but a roll of tape would almost mask an entire car back in the 80's whereas now, it seems the stuff is thicker and does not go as far. Maybe they don't make the good stuff anymore??

The 3M green has some “Crinkle” in it to make slight curves.

I ALWAYS use 3M tape. Green will take curves OK, in 1/2" widths. Then you can Fill in with wider widths as coverage is required. If sharp curves are needed, use Fine Line tape.

Green or yellow 3m. No issues masking curves on my end. Good luck getting it... most jobbers are busting down cases to give shops a sleeve at a time.

Don't want to hijack but since we are talking tape, I'm going to be painting this soon and need to tape off the areas that aren't black. Any recommendations for tape or technique? Thanks!
E5NNmw_RgpNHs4-4a7KmM0nfMtzVxhFQ8aJE6Pdg2HnJJZN1ZqrtMLM7JgQAXOxiIiNOK8t=w1199-h899-no?authuser=0.jpg

Don't want to hijack but since we are talking tape, I'm going to be painting this soon and need to tape off the areas that aren't black. Any recommendations for tape or technique? Thanks!
View attachment 1715982844
You are good my friend. I think I got my answer (3M) so this thread is probably worn out anyways, LOL.

I don't normally use fine line tape but for something like this, I would use it for the fine edges, then use regular tape for the remaining areas. That said, some of the fine line tape is not good at making turns (smooth plastic type comes to mind). I would look for a good quality (probably 3M) narrow tape that is more of a traditional masking type (not the smooth plastic type) since it seems to turn better from my experience.
Good luck.

You are good my friend. I think I got my answer (3M) so this thread is probably worn out anyways, LOL.

I don't normally use fine line tape but for something like this, I would use it for the fine edges, then use regular tape for the remaining areas. That said, some of the fine line tape is not good at making turns (smooth plastic type comes to mind). I would look for a good quality (probably 3M) narrow tape that is more of a traditional masking type (not the smooth plastic type) since it seems to turn better from my experience.
Good luck.
One fine line tip I can give you. Most people do it backwards in my mind. They lay down the fine line and then the 3/4 tape on top of that and any masking paper over that. When it comes time to unmask you have to get all that material off the fine line first.... when in my mind if you do it backwards to that all you have to do is pull the fine line off and let it harden. I do this because in a bake cycle the heat tends curl the fine line and will ruin the edge or lay in the fresh paint. I pull it after I'm done spraying it and before the clear strings.

One fine line tip I can give you. Most people do it backwards in my mind. They lay down the fine line and then the 3/4 tape on top of that and any masking paper over that. When it comes time to unmask you have to get all that material off the fine line first.... when in my mind if you do it backwards to that all you have to do is pull the fine line off and let it harden. I do this because in a bake cycle the heat tends curl the fine line and will ruin the edge or lay in the fresh paint. I pull it after I'm done spraying it and before the clear strings.
And less likely to peel if it’s a hard material to get paint to stick to. Like a plastic bumper.

Thanks guys. Someone had suggested that I cover the whole piece in masking tape and then cut the areas that I want painted black with an Exacto knife. What do you think?

-
Back