Question about a trans I have.

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1978 727 that is for 400/440 . It is a HD, long tail shaft housing & rear timing hole.
I counted the teeth on the input shaft, there's 24 so it's not a lock up trans.
I also have a standard 440 trans from 1975.
So for ***** and giggles it's for my 70 dart, 470 stroker. I've been talked into going with a transbrake (cope) rvmb clean neutral after 3rd gear and turbo action shifter.
Is anyone familiar with the later hd transmission?
Is there anything in it that really justify it being an HD as in usable for my drag car ? Dyno time coming early October but a guess is 640.
Edit; not planning to use it stock

Last edited:
Confused about the rear timing hole? The majority of the RV 727s had a timing hole cut into the top of the bellhousing and timing marks on the original converter.

As for anything HD in either of the transmissions, probably the only thing in both, that would be considered "HD" would be a factory 4 pinion front planetary. You should be fine at that power level with that planetary, and a trans-brake, unless the car is going to be freakishly heavy for some reason.

Do you think a transmission you build using a Cope trans brake and obviously all the other goodies won't be more HD than the factory HD transmission? Think about that for a minute.

Confused about the rear timing hole? The majority of the RV 727s had a timing hole cut into the top of the bellhousing and timing marks on the original converter.

As for anything HD in either of the transmissions, probably the only thing in both, that would be considered "HD" would be a factory 4 pinion front planetary. You should be fine at that power level with that planetary, and a trans-brake, unless the car is going to be freakishly heavy for some reason.
The book I am reading noted it as rear timing, but yes, it does have the hole in the bell housing. I'm putting a 12 pt cage in the car, added weight with a Dana 60, I'm hoping to be 3300 or less. I'll know a weight in the fall at some point.
Do you think a transmission you build using a Cope trans brake and obviously all the other goodies won't be more HD than the factory HD transmission? Think about that for a minute.
Yes, I thought about that & yes it will be much more heavy duty. I was looking for more information as in possible built in strength in the case like wider bushing surfaces. I'm no trans guru but now is the time to start learning more, since I need to build one.

Rear timing, Okay, gotcha. They used that for timing the motor at the bellhousing from the doghouse on RV's--hence the hole in top.

As for additional case strength, etc., all the 727 cases are pretty much the same and no reinforcement was done over the years until they got into the 518/618 4 speed automatic. Extension housings were different, however, as the side snap ring access cover housings had additional strength over the extension housing with the bottom snap ring access.

Hope this helps ..

Extension housings were different, however, as the side snap ring access cover housings had additional strength over the extension housing with the bottom snap ring access.
Hope this helps ..

Was there ever a side snap ring tail housing on a car?
I thought that was on the Truck Transmissions also known as a loadflight(truck) instead of a torqueflight(car).
Didn't the loadflight also have an extra lining in the clutch setups?

With the number of trannies being swapped when rebuilt it’s not uncommon that a truck tranny was put into a car or vice versa. Some trannies has 3 clutches, some 4 or a 440-6 and a Hemi had 5 front clutches. Same with the pinions u could have 3 and 3 or 3 and 4 or 4 and 4. U just may never know till u get the tranny apart. Kim

I put five thin smooth .061 Red Eagles in every 727 now. Costs a little bit more but it's easy to do. With the drums that already have four, it goes right together with the stock thin steels. But there are some thicker steels out there that you usually can't use and get the clearance. If the drum has only three stock, then use a forward drum lower beveled pressure plate on top to fit five.

Yup five thin .061 smooth Red Eagles in every direct drum along with a Kevlar front band in every single trans. 904's same way, and C4's and C6's same; and 350 and 400 get five Red eagles in every direct drum as well; stock brake band in those cuz all it does is engine braking; give them dual fed third tho.

Guess you've never heard of clutch hydroplaning with a smooth friction in a shifting clutch? You should only use smooth frictions in the forward (non shifting clutch).

Guess you've also never heard of using a Kevlar band only as a holding band (low/reverse) and not as a shifting band (2nd gear).
:poke:

I've heard all kinds of opinions, but the only ones that matter are my customers'. Tell my why th400 and th350 have always used smooth frictions in all clutch packs. I have about a dozen TF's to put together right now. They'll all get Alto Red Eagle .061 smooth racing clutches for third gear and a Kevlar band for second. I even had one fool shifting at 8500...on the street. I have 15 smooth frictions being delivered today and 3 Kevlar bands to do 3 TF's. All for $650 for the rebuild.

I've heard all kinds of opinions, but the only ones that matter are my customers'. Tell my why th400 and th350 have always used smooth frictions in all clutch packs. I have about a dozen TF's to put together right now. They'll all get Alto Red Eagle .061 smooth racing clutches for third gear and a Kevlar band for second. I even had one fool shifting at 8500...on the street. I have 15 smooth frictions being delivered today and 3 Kevlar bands to do 3 TF's. All for $650 for the rebuild.
That's a great price for a rebuild.

Bench job labor included, but those Red Eagles just went from $7.50 to $10. 50...so..I dunno, only $15 more per tranny...Kevlar front bands are still only $15..so I'll wait.

-
Back