Question about seat bums

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I'm preparing to recovery the seats in my 65 Formula S. I have a friend who is doing a 66 mustang. The seat bums for his are $66 for both front seats. Mine are $ 240 or so for the front seats. Is there a better way for me to save a buck or two

IMG_1513968294905.jpg

I see a lot of similarity between this ('65 Barracuda) and this ('66 Mustang). Take a close eye and a measuring tape to those $66 foams your friend gets for his Mustang. If the quality's good and the dimensions are similar…I won't tell if you won't!

Is that the worst of your seat bun problems ? That can actually be repaired with a little effort and foam . Mopar seat foam is stupid expensive compared to Ford and Cheby and somewhat generic in fit . Nothing is better than new but repairing what you have is a lot cheaper

Is that the worst of your seat bun problems ? That can actually be repaired with a little effort and foam . Mopar seat foam is stupid expensive compared to Ford and Cheby and somewhat generic in fit . Nothing is better than new but repairing what you have is a lot cheaper

On the subject of repairing seat buns, The foam on the bottom of the front seats on my 65 Barracuda are constantly dropping down particles of foam. Can anyone recommend a spray sealer that would stop this? I'm thinking about about trying to find a spray shellac ?

Use some thin cloth or late model headliner material (available at local fabric stores) and spray glue the material to the bottom side of your buns . You will have disassemble the seat to do it properly .

Yep, once the foam is degraded to the point it's shedding yellow dust, chips and chunks, you need new foam. A fabric shield can catch the frass so it stops crapping up your carpets and making you sneeze for awhile, but you need new foam.

The seats pictured in my avatar were from a B body I owned (California car) and the buns were rebuilt using the methods described above . The repo foam for this car is oversized and you end cutting away nearly 30% of the foam to make the covers fit plus pay a lot of money

A good friend is into Mustangs and he was planning to do a '65 this winter so I asked him to let me borrow his seat foam to compare to early A-body buckets. He agreed but then his wife convinced him to rebuild their '68 first. So now it will probably be a couple of years before I can get measurements for free. They certainly look to be close enough to work by .I might have to order a set and take a gamble. I would love it if someone could get some measurements before I give in and order Pony Parts.

I always thought Mustang seats were lacking in foam, compared to Mopar.A. especially in the bolster area. When I recovered my 67 cuda seats I used that black fabric that they use for silt fencing on construction sites, for between springs and foam. I got mine at hodepo, cheap.

Make your own. Just make molds to cast in 2 part urethane foam, suitable for the purpose. There are a few YouTube videos on castings, from urethane manufacturers. The cost may be more than buying buns, but could use better quality foam.

A good friend is into Mustangs and he was planning to do a '65 this winter so I asked him to let me borrow his seat foam to compare to early A-body buckets. He agreed but then his wife convinced him to rebuild their '68 first. So now it will probably be a couple of years before I can get measurements for free. They certainly look to be close enough to work by .I might have to order a set and take a gamble. I would love it if someone could get some measurements before I give in and order Pony Parts.
I thought the mustang bums were smaller than the Barracuda. You would also have to make the slits for the seat cushion to fit properly

I thought the mustang bums were smaller than the Barracuda. You would also have to make the slits for the seat cushion to fit properly
YOU NEED TO HUNT AROUND, UR QUOTE IS WAY TOO HIGH, TRY WATCHING EBAY FOR A WHILE. I DIDN`T PAY NEARLY THAT FOR BOTH UIPPER/ LOWER FOAM. I STILL HAVE THE UPPER FOAM IF ANYONE NEEDS IT . disregard caps !

I read that a good alternative was to go to a salvage yard and purchase the second or third row seats from a nice van. The rear seats are normally not used very much. Using that foam cut to the shape you need.
Just a thought.

On the subject of repairing seat buns, The foam on the bottom of the front seats on my 65 Barracuda are constantly dropping down particles of foam. Can anyone recommend a spray sealer that would stop this? I'm thinking about about trying to find a spray shellac ?
It would continue to fall out with a topical sealer on it.
I remember when the upholstery shop would put a piece of heavy house type carpet between springs and deteriorating foam. I suppose they still do that when the customer doesn't want to pay the price for new foam.

Make your own. Just make molds to cast in 2 part urethane foam, suitable for the purpose. There are a few YouTube videos on castings, from urethane manufacturers. The cost may be more than buying buns, but could use better quality foam.
Kit, your mailbox is full

The seats pictured in my avatar were from a B body I owned (California car) and the buns were rebuilt using the methods described above . The repo foam for this car is oversized and you end cutting away nearly 30% of the foam to make the covers fit plus pay a lot of money

just about all the new repro buns are oversized to fit multiple seats. my challenger buns were about 1.5 inches too wide and about 1 inch to low. I ended up adding 2 contact cemented high density latex foam 1/2" layers in the middle and grinding .75 inches off the sides to get the skins to fit without looking like a lazyboy recliner that was overstuffed. Same for the 69 charger, 63 impala, 67 mustang , 68 pontiac firebird and all my darts. I sourced them from multiple suppliers to try and get a decent fit but they were all wrong. Heck try and get one for a 63 Lincoln 4 door convertible, those (Expensive = over 700.00 each seat if you can get them) replacements are so bad they hang over the frame 6 inches(3 per side) and they Don't squish. For disintegrating foam on the bottom we spray contact cement on the foam to keep the bun together and stick a sealed burlap or scraps of canvas from the convertible tops that we mak on it to stop air infiltration which rots latex foam. Almost all buns that have started to fall apart on the bottom really are not suitable for a firm seat repair, but can be used if there are no replacement if they are padded with good quality latex foam on top and sealed on the bottom but they will only last 5-6 years max even then since the foam still wants to fall apart and dry out from the air infiltration.

just about all the new repro buns are oversized to fit multiple seats. my challenger buns were about 1.5 inches too wide and about 1 inch to low. I ended up adding 2 contact cemented high density latex foam 1/2" layers in the middle and grinding .75 inches off the sides to get the skins to fit without looking like a lazyboy recliner that was overstuffed. Same for the 69 charger, 63 impala, 67 mustang , 68 pontiac firebird and all my darts. I sourced them from multiple suppliers to try and get a decent fit but they were all wrong. Heck try and get one for a 63 Lincoln 4 door convertible, those (Expensive = over 700.00 each seat if you can get them) replacements are so bad they hang over the frame 6 inches(3 per side) and they Don't squish. For disintegrating foam on the bottom we spray contact cement on the foam to keep the bun together and stick a sealed burlap or scraps of canvas from the convertible tops that we mak on it to stop air infiltration which rots latex foam. Almost all buns that have started to fall apart on the bottom really are not suitable for a firm seat repair, but can be used if there are no replacement if they are padded with good quality latex foam on top and sealed on the bottom but they will only last 5-6 years max even then since the foam still wants to fall apart and dry out from the air infiltration.
I didn`t have any of the problems I read here, mine were very tight, but were shaped right, and look stock, except for my custom made seat covers. They were a name brand and bought from Summit racing thru the internet. I bought a new toe sack at Attwoods to replace the old stuff.

0C7C1D22-616E-4F49-8481-6635C0CBD74C.jpeg
1573927D-57B5-4A03-B728-C8530AD0D0D9.jpeg

The seat foam was purchased from legendary and additional modifications had been taken adding additional foam and glueing and shaping for a better than new fit. Tried to reform the original foam to a not desirable finish it was to soft and did not hold the upholstery tight. New foam is not a ready fit.

-
Back