Question for you experienced FABO guys out there

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
I am looking at different two cars.

Both have no engine. One comes with the original 4 speed the other is set up for auto-column shift but no tranny.

I want a roller to fit my own powertrain so really the difference is the trans tunnel work for the auto car

One has almost all the body work done but no interior (and needs trans tunnel)
The other has the original interior which is mostly OK but needs 1/4's on both sides + full body strip/fix/sand/paint

QUESTION: Which is more expensive, body and paint or a full-on interior re-do with 4-speed trans tunnel install?

I know you guys have been through this, any feedback is appreciated.

pete

Yep, body and paint can kill the old checkbook, but you CAN find some reasonable guys if you do your homework.

If they're the same model, buy them both. Use the body of one and interior of the other. Use the leftovers for spare parts or sell the remains as a project car to somebody else.
Mark

cudamark If they're the same model, buy them both. Use the body of one and interior of the other. Use the leftovers for spare parts or sell the remains as a project car to somebody else.
Mark

Brilliant ! if you can afford it,and have the space go for it !
Myself I'd go for whichever car requires the least bodywork. Good luck and let's see some pics !

Paint and body work is costing me $8900.00 on my 'Cuda.

I could have bought a turn key for that.

Do all that you can yourself!

Any other opinions out there? What does an interior cost? New carpet, headliner, seat covers, trim panels, etc...????

A solid car is ALWAYS the best way to go.As long as it isnt full of bondo thats hiding rust etc buy the best body.A desireable drivetrain can always be found later.Cheap used interior parts can always be changed out for better stuff over time.Dont skimp out on a car that needs bodywork and think its a cheap fix...unless your a bodyman you will regret it.

QUESTION: Which is more expensive, body and paint or a full-on interior re-do with 4-speed trans tunnel install?

I know you guys have been through this, any feedback is appreciated.

pete

No brainer. You can redo the interior for about what it would cost to buy 2 quarters and a floor hump. Starting with the best body you can find will always save money in the long run. Used to work in a restoration shop and a strip and repaint started at 10 grand. The price only went up from there.

No brainer. You can redo the interior for about what it would cost to buy 2 quarters and a floor hump. Starting with the best body you can find will always save money in the long run. Used to work in a restoration shop and a strip and repaint started at 10 grand. The price only went up from there.

For a quality cosmetic restoration, grumps' right on the dollar mark. Throw in sheetmetal, etc, watch the bill climb. So unless you can do the quarters, body, and paint yourself, or you can find the deals, but... the interior will actually cost less and be easier to do. And you won't regret having a solid body to start with later on down the road. And for the most, when rust is visible, you'll find that once it's started, there's more to be found that isn't visible that will become exposed once you start cutting off parts, like the quarters.

I do like the idea of being able to get both and making one car, though, if the money and space allow. Whatever parts you don't need you can always put up for sale here and recoup some of your investment back.

body and paint is more expensive. give me a car that only needs an interior any day of the week.

-
Back