Question of the day why did you pick Mopar and why in a body

-

Hillside hemi

Reaction score
Just want to hear some Mopar lovers stories... I guess why I went Mopar my old man was a mopar guy my whole life when I was looking around for a car I didn't want what everybody else has... Mustangs, Camaros, Novas, Chevelles I guess for me the old Mopar A bodies Our Kind of unique. you just don't see them around.when I was looking to buy a car I was kind of looking at AMC Marlin you don't see any of them around.. glad I went with a 65 Valiant love this thing looks neat and i get looks every time I drive it.. :)

Last edited:
First year in community college and working minimum wage in a Chevron Station ($1.65 hour) the $125.00 I paid for the '65 Valiant four-door circa 1973 was all I could afford. Foto is after I spent all my salary on the darn thing. (My parents had a new '71 Road Runner but sold it to a friend in '73)

65 Valiant2.jpg

First year in community college and working minimum wage in a Chevron Station ($1.65 hour) the $125.00 I paid for the '65 Valiant four-door circa 1973 was all I could afford. Foto is after I spent all my salary on the darn thing. (My parents had a new '71 Road Runner but sold it to a friend in '73)

View attachment 1715195625
Every time I see an old photo like that, I just have to see if I can restore it...

FFE047D5-74E6-4B5B-BE60-155E3245622B.jpeg

First car was a 65 Dart, 270 post car with a Charger 273 and a 3 on the tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've told it before, but I became a Mopar guy because my dad was. He street and bracket raced a '63 Polara 500 with a 13.5:1 426 Ramcharger, drove many different Mopars for daily drivers in the 70's, then he bracket raced a 440 powered funny car in the 80's.

I picked an A-body because my Dart was the nicest muscle era Mopar I could afford at the time. I bought my Dart when I was 17, and I still own it.

My dad was a Mopar guy. He didn't work on them. He bought new and kept them in perfect condition. My brother is 5 years older and he had Mopars for his first couple cars. He didn't work on them either! I'm the only one that got into working on cars.

When it was my turn for a car, my dad took me with a dealer friend of ours to the original Manheim auction. I found a 72 Duster and my dad bid up until we got it at $440.

The reason I now have a 66 Barracuda is it was the first car I remember my parents having. I remember playing in the cargo area! Their car was Citron color!

Dad was a GM guy.
In 67 he bought me a 62 Bonneville Convert.389 3spd on floor.
Nice car, but a tank.
I traded it for a 63 sport fury convert. All my friends had mustangs, Camaros
Gto. I have always been a non conformist.
Only guy in the crowd with a Mopar.

My dad was a machinist with six kids so his loyalty was to whatever he could buy cheap and keep running as long as possible. That said we had a 68 fury wagon for a few years and then later a 75 Dart 225 that ran forever. My first car was a 65 Dart 270 with a 225 that I bought in 80 for $250. Unfortunately, I was a dumb *** kid and usually drunk and high. I crashed it a month later. Then I bought a gold 70 Satelite for $300 that was a doctors car with 60k miles 318 auto and was in mint condition. Another crash within a year. Then I bought a 70 Coronet with a 318 that was in pretty good shape and again crashed within a year. After that I had some chebby trucks and finally smartened up and stopped the dui ****. Started having kids and had three chrysler minivans that all still ran fine when sold to upgrade. Always loved the style of the mopar brands, especially the 60s and 70s. So when it came to getting a project car, I saw this 64 Dart convertible for sale and thought it was destiny. Who knows, someday I may even finish it

I had lotscof mopars,A B C and E and a few trucks and a ramcharger, but my favourite was my 70 swinger340. I still want to get a 70 RoadRunner. Kim

I needed a car....room mate had it for sale...good price...good looking car...had read a lot about 340s.....did not know anything about AARCudas....2000 buck and it was mine back in 1973...

Lightweight powerhouse. Went for a ride in a 69 340 bracket car and was hooked. Got me a 70 Swinger340/4-gear/3.55s and started terrorizing the neighborhood. I was 17, invincible, and suddenly had a lotta friends, most of whom I coulda done without.But hey, they coughed up gas money.

A '67 notch Cuda ...
In the 90's.. dirt cheap ( 125 ,with a clean pink slip ). SS springs /6 torsion bars ,a low compression 360 /727 /3:55 's / Road Runner converter...
Ran 13.60's @ 101-102 at Famoso ,didn't have 2500 in it.

‘68 coronet got me started.
76 dart a few caravans and my power wagon.
Now the barracuda and i recovered the dart( still had my insurance in the glove box)27 years later....

I bought a 72 340 Challenger for 900 buck in 1980 (was told a guy had a Cuda for sale). Car was auto with 355 gears. Only things not stock were headers, air shocks and all the 'cool' red lights underneath (and the Puerto Rico flag stickers in the windows). That thing ran like a raped ape! Coincidentally, on the center of the hood was a mural of King Kong holding a topless blonde chick with two wine glasses in one hand and a wine bottle in the other! Classy! I was hooked after that car. A buddy had a 69 fastback 318 car (complete with velour tuck interior) that I thought was the **** back then. Always wanted it. Now I have a 69 notch and a 340. I really need to get the two together..

As a kid I rode in a lot of cars, mopars always were memorable by the mid range torque and how smooth they reved up.
A 1968 fury 3 of all things with a built 383, built 727 and a tight 3400 turbo action converter & 3.91 was the most memorable.
It worked very well.

Had a 70 Challenger when I was stationed in Tustin CA in 1980 and I loved it. Had to sell it for a more " family friendly vehicle"

My brother made me too good an offer to refuse and now I am the owner of a 69 Dart. Collecting parts for a 512 now. Put an RMS front and rear suspension in too.

As soon as I heal a bit more the body work will continue!

Can't wait.

A gentleman i worked with had a 69 satellite if i recall correctly.
As a baker, had to wait for the dough to proof. Cruise time. Outskirt of city and we would blast through the weigh station lot at about 100 mph,about 3:00 am.
Was a big block 4 speed. Man that thing was quick.

I bought a 72 340 Challenger for 900 buck in 1980 (was told a guy had a Cuda for sale). Car was auto with 355 gears. Only things not stock were headers, air shocks and all the 'cool' red lights underneath (and the Puerto Rico flag stickers in the windows). That thing ran like a raped ape! Coincidentally, on the center of the hood was a mural of King Kong holding a topless blonde chick with two wine glasses in one hand and a wine bottle in the other! Classy! I was hooked after that car. A buddy had a 69 fastback 318 car (complete with velour tuck interior) that I thought was the **** back then. Always wanted it. Now I have a 69 notch and a 340. I really need to get the two together..

Here’s an old Duster I bought some time back, it had a giant Tweety Bird painted on the scoop! I just don’t get some people’s tastes sometimes!

78DABCD7-63FF-4C0C-817D-ADAB582378CB.jpeg

My brother, who is 14 years older than me, bought a 66 Barracuda brand new. It was a 273 4 bbl, 4 spd car. He came to my Grandmas for Sunday dinner 2 days after he bought it and took me for a ride. That was the first time in my 9 year old life that I was both terrified and laughing hysterically at the same time! 2 years later, he traded in the Barracuda on a new 68 Roadrunner. Same scenario, except this time we needed to make a run from my parents house, back to his house to get something my sister in law forgot. Not quite as scared, cause....hey, I was 11 now! My brother did a funny car burn out from his road, and ran it up to over a hundred before letting out of it! Needless to say, I was hooked! Funny thing is, now I own both an early Barracuda, and a 68 Roadrunner. Go figure?!?! :D Oh...and even though I'm 60 and he's 74, my brother is still 10 feet tall and bullet proof, and could whoop King Kong and Godzirra with one hand tied behind his back!

my first car.jpg
Bought a 1971 Swinger in the late 70's. Loved that car. Wasn't until.several years ago I was able to afford one. Only car I have now is a 70, and blue. One before was gold, with wood trim, and chrome edge of hood, and rocker trim. Tuff wheel rim blow wheel. Car was totaled out in 1989 parked on street. Ticked me off!!!!! Very close to what my first Dodge looked like, except for the dual exhaust, and mine had a hitch. Like that color.

Last edited:
-
Back