Question on port matching

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. But! Even though it was a really good video, I have one point of disagreement with the videographer. The floor doesn’t move or provide energy. Resistance, yes! Resistance! I see where that can be seen or likened to movement.

Should you find a video within the cylinder head showing your side, I’d be much more in minded to flip my position on which is better. Shy of a back to back dyno test with a listing of port mismatch amounts going both ways….. I still think the fuel & air charge crashing into the cylinder head is worse.

It also makes me wonder, not only what differences would show up on a .010, .100, 1/4”, but also at different power levels and engine sizes. On both points of view of course! Ow my mind is wondering a bit deeper and it just makes me want to experiment. Now if I only had a dyno!

I won’t be able to find any video of that happening in a port. But fluid dynamics is fluid dynamics. It doesn’t matter if it’s in a port or anything else.

Edit: I see what you are struggling with. The fuel and air do not crash into the port wall, they shear off of it. There isn’t any crashing there. I may be able to find some video of that. It may take me a bit. I’m back home and off the phone so it will be easier to look around YouTube.

I sometimes experience laminar flow and other times turbulent flow in the bathroom. :eek:

Thanks. But! Even though it was a really good video, I have one point of disagreement with the videographer. The floor doesn’t move or provide energy. Resistance, yes! Resistance! I see where that can be seen or likened to movement.

Should you find a video within the cylinder head showing your side, I’d be much more in minded to flip my position on which is better. Shy of a back to back dyno test with a listing of port mismatch amounts going both ways….. I still think the fuel & air charge crashing into the cylinder head is worse.

It also makes me wonder, not only what differences would show up on a .010, .100, 1/4”, but also at different power levels and engine sizes. On both points of view of course! Ow my mind is wondering a bit deeper and it just makes me want to experiment. Now if I only had a dyno!
Run a back to back dyno test on an oval port rat motor, with identical oval port and big port intakes. (I'm betting on the oval port......)

Run a back to back dyno test on an oval port rat motor, with identical oval port and big port intakes. (I'm betting on the oval port......)

That is one of the very few exceptions of when that works. When that came out in the mid 1990’s everyone and their mother tried it. And it was a loser.

Here is one video. It’s a PITA to do this on my phone so I hope it works.

I’ll post a couple more when I get home.

Pretty interesting. I would imagine that turbulent flow in a intake or head runner would benefit the fuel and air mixing. I though I heard or read that the intake side should be a bit rough and the exhaust side be smoother. (to aid in laminar flow)

Last edited:
Pretty interesting. I would imagine that turbulent flow in a intake or head port would benefit the fuel and air mixing. I though I heard or read that the intake side should be a bit rough and the exhaust side be smoother. (to aid in laminar flow)

Exactly.

Pretty interesting. I would imagine that turbulent flow in a intake or head port would benefit the fuel and air mixing. I though I heard or read that the intake side should be a bit rough and the exhaust side be smoother. (to aid in laminar flow)
It would help with a better burn and mileage. The manufacturer called this a “Swirl Port Head.”

It would help with a better burn and mileage. The manufacturer called this a “Swirl Port Head.”
I goofed, I was thinking more about the runner and not the port because we are talking about port matching.

Tonight’s project
E5B0E68B-8C8F-4D5C-8BA5-18E07F52CE61.jpeg
F72B76BA-939F-4570-8134-FFFBB6DC3A98.jpeg

Edit: I see what you are struggling with. The fuel and air do not crash into the port wall, they shear off of it. There isn’t any crashing there. I may be able to find some video of that. It may take me a bit. I’m back home and off the phone so it will be easier to look around YouTube.
I didn’t watch the videos yet…..

EDIT!! OMGosh! 30+ minutes a pop! O-G’s, I’m gonna have to skip that for now.

Wait! I’m getting confused in which is which in the discussion! LMAO!

Your now talking about a smaller intake port into a larger head port?

I will not dyno test anything but my MoPar!
:rofl:

Now if I hit megamillions…. Line up your requests!
:thumbsup:

It pays good dividends the higher up in power you go.
If you can find another ten percent on a 300hp 318 or 360 you will feel the increase ,that's why I always look for all ways to make or free up power...
On my big blocks I blend and port the oil pump cover even the area under the filter. That ones two a twofer free up parasitic power loss and increase reliability.
It all makes a difference..

No projects for me tonight, I know you’ve ported the Victor 340’s in the past, I think I’ve read where you are fond of them? I recently acquired this new one and getting ready to work it over. Not sure if I read they were 318 windows but regardless, Have they always been like this?? Luckily the gasket lines up and doesn’t protrude beyond the side walls of any runners badly that I can shift them slightly.

B59BE5E0-9AD1-47A4-8A9E-4DA04733AF08.jpeg

6D589850-27D8-4BBC-8B76-6CFFFD9DF053.jpeg

198752F3-B593-4220-99B8-1A564D15ADFE.jpeg

FF8734C3-8B03-4863-B48C-0D907FE04D42.jpeg

FBA5B565-E737-40FC-A451-337EB3434B5E.jpeg

Last edited:
No projects for me tonight, I know you’ve ported the Victor 340’s in the past, I think I’ve read where you are fond of them? I recently acquired this new one and getting ready to work it over. Not sure if I read they were 318 windows but regardless, Have they always been like this?? Luckily the gasket lines up and doesn’t protrude beyond the side walls of any runners badly that I can shift them slightly.

View attachment 1715849955

View attachment 1715849956

View attachment 1715849957

View attachment 1715849958

View attachment 1715849959

Port match it vs gasket matching .
Watch Eric Weingartners video on it .

Port match it vs gasket matching .
Watch Eric Weingartners video on it .
Yes yes, there’s no telling how this intake would line up on a set of heads if I just gasket matched. Definitely trial fitting, adjusting as needed and then scribing etc

View attachment 1715849955

View attachment 1715849956

View attachment 1715849957

View attachment 1715849958

View attachment 1715849959

I love Victor 340’s
71CBCCD4-E6F0-4F0E-A9E1-6F56DC30CDD5.jpeg
BA0BDA0B-CED2-4EA3-9645-3B88C2379C0D.jpeg

I’m doing this intake for the first (paying) customer I’ve had in over three years. 9pm and one side roughed in. I’ll start on the othe side and go till around 9:30-10:00. Then plenum time and match the two together.
F08529BA-6B4E-4277-A9D8-A87798098EDC.jpeg
2AA6CB5D-3F02-4C28-9289-B859BA054D82.jpeg
B6F06AE3-B3D0-4D30-BB7E-E618089E16E8.jpeg

Here we go ... I think this is a good brief vid on port matching .

Nothing there from MBE about making the port opening in the intake manifold larger....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back