Question ?

-

Buford19

Reaction score
Is there room enough, to use stock z bar linkages on a gen 3 hemi swap with a833 4 speed tranmission. Will be using hdk k member on this swap. Just Noticed that a lot of gen 3 hemi swaps are using hydraulic clutch set ups. Not sure if this is because of room issues, or personal perference. Should mention this is for a 67 barracuda.

Don’ want to cut up tunnel, underneath of the car is already paint in color of the car.

It's possible. I originally kept my 4 speed and stock mechanical linkage when I did my swap. I since changed to a 6 speed because I wanted overdrive and had to swap to a hydraulic clutch because it was the only way to use the transmission I wanted.

As a disclaimer, I would not guarantee by any means that what I had in my car for linkage was "stock". It fit is about all I can say. My car was so cobbled together when I got it that I have no idea what was really stock and what wasn't. I did have to shorter one of the legs of the Z bar to give more clearance to my headers, but it may not have been a stock A body piece to begin with.

It's possible. I originally kept my 4 speed and stock mechanical linkage when I did my swap. I since changed to a 6 speed because I wanted overdrive and had to swap to a hydraulic clutch because it was the only way to use the transmission I wanted.

As a disclaimer, I would not guarantee by any means that what I had in my car for linkage was "stock". It fit is about all I can say. My car was so cobbled together when I got it that I have no idea what was really stock and what wasn't. I did have to shorter one of the legs of the Z bar to give more clearance to my headers, but it may not have been a stock A body piece to begin with.
Ok thanks for this information, I currently don’t have a z bar or any of linkages. Think I will install motor and tranny first, then see what kind of room is left. Nice to know it will work will some alterations.Which 6 speed tranmission are you using, and was there a lot of modifications to make it fit?

Well,in theroy, if you have all the stock A body linkage, it should fit. If the engine mounts you use place the Hemi in the "stock" location, the bell housing will be from the "stock" small block, it "should" work. Most if not all the mounts do this. I have TTI mounts in a 74 A body, 727, stock trans mount, with no issues.

My concern is the size of the engine. The gen 3 hemi is a tight fit in these engine bays. Would be nice to stick with mechanical linkages.

Ok thanks for this information, I currently don’t have a z bar or any of linkages. Think I will install motor and tranny first, then see what kind of room is left. Nice to know it will work will some alterations.Which 6 speed tranmission are you using, and was there a lot of modifications to make it fit?
I went with a T56 out of a 2000 Viper. I basically just cut the whole tunnel out and put a new one in because they had butchered a 4 speed hump into my car before I got it and it was just pretty messy. It seemed easier to just make a new one vs modifying the stock one, though I'm not not a sheet metal person by any means. I had to remake the upper transmission crossmember too, so having the sheet metal out of the way made it easier to work with.

-
Back