questions on narrowing a C body 8-3/4 axle for an A body

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
hi y'all i have a 67 model C body rear axle complete drum to drum. this is junkyard fresh and has never been opened. i want to have it narrowed to a stock A body width including spring perches moved to stock A body location and welded in at correct pinion angle.

i dont want a "how to" primer on how to do this as i dont intend to do it myself. i plan on gutting and cleaning out the axle housing and taking it to or sending it to whoever can do it correctly depending on weather or not its close enough to drive there to drop it off or not.

anybody on this list know where i can take this part to get it narrowed, or can correctly narrow this part including mounting the spring perches in the correct location with the correct pinion angle.

also is there enough meat on the stock C body rear axles to shorten and respline them temporarily to help with finances on the project, or would it be better to just pony up the cash and buy a set of strange A body axles with a set of green bearings already pressed on and be done with it.

found nobody local in my area in Abilene Texas that can do this for me.

any help in this area would be appreciated
thanks
matt

c body have straight axles, "cutters" they are called to sell to narrowed rear guys. cut and spline 40 year old steel, or 150 for new ones...I think new ones are more cost effective but if you are on a budget and have a local place that you dont have to ship, it may be the way to go. I knew a guy that narrowed his own rear with a sawzall, and a weight set bar and collars to true up the ends in high school. I think its still under his car!

The pinion angle as mounted in car, with the perches level is 5* up for stock set up. I NEVER weld it in at that angle. But, that's the stock set up.

Ask local chassis shops, hot rod places where they get rears done. There should be someone in that city capable of resplining axles. If you had to ship them back and forth it may be more cost effective to buy fresh ones.

Housing 52 5/8" flange to flange, 43" perch centers, pumpkin centered (no offset either side)

I'd have the same place narrow the housing and supply (or cut and respline) the axle shafts. If something doesn't fit, it keeps the finger pointing to a minimum. Take some existing measurements on axle flange to housing flange and let the shop know the size brakes you plan on using. I'd get the good axle shafts, seen bad results of adding horsepower to resplines.

find a machine shop.

There has to be one in your neighbourhood. Check the yellow pages under "machine shop"

See where the best one is and go to them and talk to the machinist and challenge him. I am sure some of them will do it for something different to do and a challenge.

I sent mine to Moser Engineering, it can go UPS if the axles are shipped separate from the housing. I think mine was just a little over $300 to do including the shipping. They do good work and have quick turnaround. Had the axles re-splined and the housing narrowed with new perches installed.

Sorry didn't see the location, should be a shop in the southwest that could do it but Mosers prices are pretty good, it takes a bit of a set up to do the axles, would be pretty costly to set up to do just one pair be sure to get a firm up front price.

-
Back