Quick Steering box ID

-

No Bux Dart

Reaction score
Just picked up a '64 Dart 270 and want to improve the handling. I'll be doing a disc brake and steering work. Here are my questions.

How do you identify the optional quick (16:1 ratio) manual steering boxes as compared to the standard 24:1 unit?

What car models and years were these 16:1 boxes available. I have read that steering boxes from "B" bodies and possibly others are interchangable.

Thanks,
N B D

Since nobody has yet answered you, may I suggest you call Firm Feel - I am sure they would know.

I thought the 16:1 was reffering to power steering boxes. But I do know that the T/A steering box, a so called "quick ratio" just has internal stops that are closer together. the Quick was in the length of the pitman arm, a longer arm gave a larger sweep with the same degree of turn. So 3.5 turns would equal the left to right offset of the 4.75 box, but at a farther distance from the fulcrum, get it? I believe they sell a fast ratio pitman arm. So you could get a quick ratio steering feel out of a stock box with a fast ratio pitman, but you would probably end up overextending the ball joints. Open to corrections as always.

While there may have been a different color paint daub from the factory indicating the 16:1 boxes from the std manual 24:1's I've never personally seen it or any other identifier. The only way I can tell is to simply turn the box and count the revolutions. The only years I've ever seen it listed on the order form were 65 and 66, and only then as an upgrade to the Formula "S" package. In the seventies and eighties Mopar Performance offered a 20:1 worm and sector kit as a "quick ratio" upgrade but never the 16:1 ratio. The 20:1 ratio is what either Firm Feel and/or Flaming River now offer. Neither offers the 16:1 ratio. Prior respondant was correct about the T/A challengers and AAR cuda's using a different pitman arm to simulate a 20:1 ratio while using a 24:1 steering box. This "E" body pitman would likely fit late model "A" body manual steering boxes but would likely alter steering geometry so much as to make the car useless for anything other than idling to cruise spot and back (can't say for sure however since I've never done a geometry study on this swap). Also, the early 16:1 ratio sectors used the smaller diameter pitman used from 60-66 typically. So if you mounted one in your later "A" body you would still have pitman/steering issues to deal with. Best advice- accept that 20:1 is "quick" enough and buy the new aftermarket stuff at whatever the current price is. It's truly bolt in and go.

I checked their web-site and according to it, the 20:1 and 16:1 are N/A. Has anyone called them or ordered anything from them recently to know if that's a mistake or not?

Hey No Bux Dart,
You are right...they were available. I used to own an original '65 Valiant 273 Commando with manual steering and decided to install a "newer" 1971 Duster 340 manual box and the lock to lock were less on the '65 than the '71. It was very noticable. BTW, this was back in the early '70's so the '71 was almost new. Sold the car to a friend and he still has the car. Will track him down and see if he still has the box. May be able to find some markings on it.
As for power steering...I looked at a '71 Cuda that had a rear sway bar (handling package) and it had the quick steering box. It had a "TA" casted on the top of the box. I compaired it to my '70 Cuda and '70 Challenger RT and none of mine had this markings but then I don't have the rear sway bars.

I got a quick ratio box out of a '67-'69 Formula S in a junk yard. I had heard about the quick ratio being an option, so I just spun the steering wheel. Counted 3-1/2 turns lock to lock--same as power steering. Regular boxes are 5-1/4 turns lock to lock, so probably the easiest way to check is to just count the turns, as said earlier.

Thanks for the advice keep the info. coming. I was looking at a '66 or '67 vailant brochure and the 16:1 manual box was an option that was not recommended for the 383 motor option.

I'll also try the longer pitman arm approach as finding a Formula "S" in a junkyard is going to be difficult.

N B D

I have a Formula S fast ratio box, I will see if there is any colored markings on it. If I remember correctly, the steering box case has the same part numbers, only way to really tell if no tags or colored marks would be to turn the steering gear and count the turns.

-
Back