quickest clutch replacement.

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
Did a clutch on a SAAB 900 in under an hour. You do not remove transmission to pull clutch and pressure plate. the "front" of the engine faces the firewall. the trans axle faces the front of the car. A plate covers the shaft that connects trans axle to engine, that pulls from the front when cover is removed. use a special tool or rope after compressing clutch to hold clutch away from disk, with shaft removed, pull disk, then unbolt pressure plate. reverse to install.
Anyone come across an easier one?

Honda AN600, IIRC it was 6 bolts to remove the cover that had the throwout bearing in it. Same deal, pull the cover, remove a snap ring and the pressure plate and clutch disc slides off. Had to remove the front left wheel and an inner fender panel. An hour would be about right if you had everything scoped out. My sister had a Saab 99GL, same backward *** motor, broke an alternator mount bolt and I had to wedge a piece of 2X4 in there to tension the belt to get us home. I think a small shop cut a hole in the firewall to get to that stupid bolt.

I don;t know about easier, but a friend and I put one in a 69 Chevelle I had in the driveway in about 20 minutes. On jack stands.

I did a fork lift about 15 years ago. Took the top cover off, 6 bolts on the pressure plate, the shaft had a snap ring, removed it and slid the shaft back. I thought at the time that was slicker than hell. Kim

I don;t know about easier, but a friend and I put one in a 69 Chevelle I had in the driveway in about 20 minutes. On jack stands.

Did that with my ‘92 Dodge D50 4x4. All of about 25 minutes to yank the transmission/Transfer Case and install another transmission/Transfer Case combo, on ramps in my driveway.

4 bolts hold the top load Shifters in, 6 bolts holds the bell to the block, 2 hold the starter, and you just pull on the clutch cable to pop it off the fork.

And since it’s an all aluminum transmission and transfer case (probably 90 pounds on the transmission, another 70 on the Transfer Case), no jack needed. Just bench press it up in and wiggle to slip the input shaft into the clutch. Hold the combo up with one hand and use the other to start a few bolts.

I got really good at doing that, my Diesel D50 would occasionally have throwout bearing issues.

Fastest I ever did, don't remember how fast, was 55--57 Chev 3 speed. There is no crossmember, the engine mounts are at front of engine and on the bell. Hurst "misery shifter" (Mystery). Yank out the shift lever, undo the driveshaft, 4 bolts and the trans is out.
Pull off the dust cover which is likely NOT THERE ANYWAY and unbolt the PP

Most difficult thing, really, is turning the engine over to access the bolts

-
Back