Quietest gears? Yukon? Strange? Motive? Richmond?

-

d100clubcab

Reaction score
Im looking to go from 3.2 gears to 4.1 in a 489 pumpkin. It is stock now and no noise.
I have read that certain brands are noisier than others. Who.makes the bone stock quiet version?

Thanks

Yeah, I have read that too. I used Motive 3.55's in my 489, and they are just as quiet as can be.

I think a lot of it is making sure they are set up properly.

yup. I've set up factory new sets, Strange, US Gear, Yukon, & Richmond in ratios from 2.74 to 5.13s. If they are set up right, and broken in right, they will all be quiet.

The quietest gears are ones that are set up right. Why do people get the impression brand name has something to do with noise level? File that in the same file with 3/4 cams.

I would think cheaper brands may not have the best tolerances and be more prone to having minor imperfections that may cause noise. I remember Cass telling me that cheaper brands sometimes are tougher to get a perfect pattern with and that with those you sometimes have to settle on an "acceptable" pattern instead instead of an "ideal" one. Still, nothing wrong with them though. I've only ever set up Richmond gears and none of them ever made noise.

Set it up right and it'll be silent. If there's noise, recheck it. Reset it.

Just so you know, Motive bought Richmond so if you buy Richmond's your actually just paying for the name. I recently bought a set or Richmond's before I knew this because my prior experience with them was always good. They were real touchy getting set up but once I zero'd in on it they have a good pattern.

I noticed Randy's Ring and pinion has a chart of different gears pointing out that some gears are noisy.

I set up a set of 3.91 Richmond gears in a SureGrip over 10 years ago which ran unhearable quiet.
Last year I reset the backlash which caused them to howl a bit. A re-set is in order.

Randys 4.30s.Went together easy as pie and I didnt hear anything from them, during the two or three summers that I ran them.
3/4 race cam. Havent heard that since highschool.

Randy's makes their own house brand of gears?

I bought my Strange gears from Dr.Diff with his recommendation over the other gears he sells that are made in Italy. These Strange gears are made in the U.S.A.
They are 3:55s in a 489 cased 8 3/4 with a used but good cone style sure grip with Amsoil 75/90 gear lube and the Mopar friction modifier in them for good measure.
They don't whine or anything at any speed, i am very happy with them.
I got the crush sleeve eliminator, new Timken bearings, and ring gear bolts and they set up like a piece of cake just like he said.
He said that the Italian gears will howl a little bit, and are harder to set up.
The difference in price was under 20 bucks between the two.
I would buy them again from him, he knows his stuff and is willing to be honest, which is rare these days.
I would highly recommend buying parts off of him, or even phoning to talk about your options. He will make time for you, answering all of your questions, also, i have heard it from others as well about his good service, and that's what sold me.
His prices were the best that i found, and i shopped around a lot before i bought my parts. After i ordered my parts, it only took 2 days to get them.
He's even a member on here!
His name is Cass, and his user name is Dr.Diff.

Italian 8.75" gears don't really make noise if set up correctly. The contact pattern on US/Strange Gears is easier to read, however.

I've got a noisy set of 3.91 gears in a clutch 742 center. The gears are a unknown brand that came with my demon, they were loose and not in a box or anything. They were set up by a guy who was recommended as a good rear end guy. I'm wondering if I should take a crack at readjusting them and see if they will be quiet I only put about 1k miles on them , I do remember the pinion being hard to turn when I installed it! Is it true if they were not set up properly and are noisy they will always be noisy???

No it is not. I have re set many gear sets for people and made them quiet.

is there a good site that goes through this step by step,or is the service manual ok,

The service manual is good, but I don't like how they tell you to set backlash. It's kinda vague.

Randy's makes their own house brand of gears?

No, and yukon is all reboxed and can be usa standard, motive and us gear.

The only gear company i stay away from is usa standard, they do not do lapping.

Having a gear not having been run in can be noisy.

Motive/richmond has been the same for the past 3 years or more
Precision, US gear, Nitro, Dana, AAM are the best gears with the best machining and heat treating and lapping procedures, in fact a few of these listed even do dbl.

Noisy out of any of them and it's all on the supposed expert, noisy out of usa standard and it could be the gear, however i have set up 6 of them without issue, but i will not purposely use them, thats customers bringing there own ****.

I've got a noisy set of 3.91 gears in a clutch 742 center. The gears are a unknown brand that came with my demon, they were loose and not in a box or anything. They were set up by a guy who was recommended as a good rear end guy. I'm wondering if I should take a crack at readjusting them and see if they will be quiet I only put about 1k miles on them , I do remember the pinion being hard to turn when I installed it! Is it true if they were not set up properly and are noisy they will always be noisy???

Do you have a clue how to read a pattern??

If you don't what adjustment are you going to make to make it quiet??

Leave it alone, have someone who really knows look at it.

Regardless of the brand on the box (Motive, Richmond, Yukon, Nitro, Hoosier, USA Standard etc...) all 8.75" gears are made in one of the following factories:

USA (1)
India (1)
S Korea (2)
Italy (1)

US/Strange is the only 8.75" ring and pinion always made by US Gear (USA).

BTW, USA Standard Gear is NOT US Gear!

-
Back