**r*a*n*t**

-
Well, LOL, this is a great thread about not much and chest clearing. At least we are not name calling. This board is the one of 3 best (neck and neck) on info opinion and just simply put, a bunch of good ol'guys shooting the crap and chewing the fat.

Since I didn't chime in on anything about the rear thread including a chime in on that thread, for most of guys, were street bound. The only rear I recomend replacingis the tiny 7-1/4.
The ring gear itself, on any rear is in part, part of it's strength. This is an area where bigger is better when you start appling more muscle at the engine. In a race car, this idea is fine. On a street car, it may not be cost effective to follow.
Not many of us are running enuff power to destroy the rear we have. But then again, you should use your common sense. No stroked and blown big block behind an 7-1/4 in a heavy car.
OK, you should be giggling on that extreme, but you get the idea.

In my Cuda, the factory drivetrain is; 340 - A-833 - 8-3/4 (4.10's). It's survived a 450+ 360, with sliding the foot to the side for shifting at 7,000.
(Not exactly putting the screws to it now is it? FYI, engine died first. )
The weak point of the 8-3/4 I didn't see mentioned is flex.
It's cheap to do yourself, expensive to have done. Truly the break point in how things stay cheap on a car, or not.
Not everyone can do it themself and that should be considered when making a point or argueing for or against.

Think I'll have some oatmeal raisen cookies and milk,and go to bed now.
It's been fun reading.

Well, time for me to throw in my .02.......
The 8.75 is the best rear end of all time.
Why?.................................................................................
(answer below)

Because I have 2 of 'em!
(and quite frankly, for most of us, that's all it boils down to)

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captainkirk said:
Well, time for me to throw in my .02.......
The 8.75 is the best rear end of all time.
Why?.................................................................................
Because I have 2 of 'em!
(and quite frankly, for most of us, that's all it boils down to)

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAAH.. thanks capt'n...thanks.. and in all honesty your probably right in some form or another. but your comment had me chuckle'n :wav:

The chance to have a choice of rear ends is only something we in Australia
can only dream about.

The choice we have is 7 1/4'' or fit a 9''. Period

There is a few 8 3/4'' / Dana's floating around but is not an option for most Mopar owners due to availability and cost.

To even be able to have the choice to ''Rant'' about this would a pleasure.

Cheers

Benton

A360 said:
The chance to have a choice of rear ends is only something we in Australia
can only dream about.

The choice we have is 7 1/4'' or fit a 9''. Period

There is a few 8 3/4'' / Dana's floating around but is not an option for most Mopar owners due to availability and cost.

To even be able to have the choice to ''Rant'' about this would a pleasure.

Cheers

Benton

Dont let it get you down Benton.. when I manage to come see my friend scott ill bring one for you, i mean.. didnt you hear? they are the best rear end out there.. non are better.. and they are readily availible at the corner store here in america.

LoL

I figure it's alot like the old GM 12 bolt/10 bolt arguement:

GM buys always went for the 12 bolt rear ends, saying the 10 bolts were garbage and couldn't take any power.

Then the 12 bolts became scarce and people we forced to use 10 bolts...and wouldn't you know it? They seem to take the power just fine when built properly.

For me the gear change arguement is a moot point, because I am NOT going to change gears just to go to the track. Run-what-you-brung!! I put the gears in my car that I want...what it runs, it runs. I personally do not build my car for track times. I build it to be a good street car that handles, turns, goes and stops with authority. Whatever it runs at the track with that setup...so be it.

I build it to be a good street car that handles, turns, goes and stops with authority. Whatever it runs at the track with that setup...so be it.
Words from a true street guy.
If I had the choice of 7-1/4 or Ford 9, it'll be the Ford 9.

Just depends on intended use...I got the 8 1/4 in my 340 Dart Sport and if I keep it under 450 HP it will last just fine. Good rearend much better than "most" think. and I dont care about gear interchange.I don't race it so anything between a 3.21 and 3.55 or the equivalent is fine and would STAY in place..im happy with the 3.21 SG right now in it. and unless I go racing which is not happening its the 8 1/4 and if this one happens to go bad just becuase of age and I had to replace it ..unless I find a Dana or 8 3/4 already for a A body sitting around for the EXACT same price as a 8 1/4 im getting another 8 1/4!

OK.....

I think my rearends the best!! :toothy7:

Jessica-31.jpg

Nice rear end. I think the headlight, though not large have a certain something that comploments the overall package and body lines well.

I think that one would need to be broken-in using the proper lubricant before repeated abuse. :lol:

i want to rant som too, why is it that there is never ever even one small person anywhere close by me when i get stuck under 165 lbs of steel in my gym? thats just anoying and it happend again today :(

duster340 said:
i want to rant som too, why is it that there is never ever even one small person anywhere close by me when i get stuck under 165 lbs of steel in my gym? thats just anoying and it happend again today :(

You DO realize that it is in your best interests and kinda an unwriten rule that when lifting large amounts you should keep the weight clips OFF your bar, or use a spotter.. hahaaa
one time i was lifting 150 and i brused my whole right arm, and almost blacked out.. mind you i was 170 lbs young and stupid.. but i learnt my lesson.
and im to proud to use a spotter. which is one of my downfalls.and my old lady cant lift what i can which makes her useless!

Cerwin.

Cerwin said:
You DO realize that it is in your best interests and kinda an unwriten rule that when lifting large amounts you should keep the weight clips OFF your bar, or use a spotter.. hahaaa
one time i was lifting 150 and i brused my whole right arm, and almost blacked out.. mind you i was 170 lbs young and stupid.. but i learnt my lesson.
and im to proud to use a spotter. which is one of my downfalls.and my old lady cant lift what i can which makes her useless!

Cerwin.

hahaha yaeh but the bar is pretty full of weights so i realy like the clips on the bar if the weights would start moving around for some reason;)

and im still young and stupid but only 165 lbs and i lift 165lbs about 10-11 times
problem is also that my gym is a small gym in the house i live in and all the stuff there is mine and i am the only one using it, so i get stuck under that weight about once a week and it realy hurts to roll that heavy bar down my chest and down on my legs until i get it on the bench, and like you im alitle to proud dont want to make any big sounds dropping weights on the floor so that is teh way it seems to work i always try to push my self alitle bit more ;)
just young and stupid i gues and i will keep on being young as long as i can...

64dartwagon is probably right. Expensive,and high maintence!! But damn thats one nice rear end!!

Hey Jim, lol
With that new rear-end what are your ET's like? lol
put your running some quick numbers.. i bet its under the 10's

With a rear like that my numbers would be well under the 10's

hehe

how you like dem apples jim! bring your sexy girl pictures into MY thread and make everybody oogle over it.. geesh.. i like it tho. good find!!! :thumbup:

Cerwin said:
Hey Jim, lol
With that new rear-end what are your ET's like? lol
put your running some quick numbers.. i bet its under the 10's

With a rear like that my numbers would be well under the 10's

hehe

how you like dem apples jim! bring your sexy girl pictures into MY thread and make everybody oogle over it.. geesh.. i like it tho. good find!!! :thumbup:

Bad on me....After reading all the good rear info.....I figured a little humor would be fine. Here's a little rear for you Jeff :butthead:

-
Back