**r*a*n*t**

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
I was reading another thread and it was debating D60's VS F9"
i decided to start my own thread as it was inapropriate to put this in that thread.

Im left in the dust when someone starts a thread about d60's and 9's since the thread has captured my fullest of attention and i have leads to both rears and im also debating my options. but the thing i cant ever rap my head around is why do you die hard mopar guys debate that a 8.75 is the best thing since sliced bread.. is it because you went and wasted all your money on building one and now everyone should have one since you like YOURS? Give me a break! All of you who say 8.75's are teh best, either state your oppinion or answer his question, for those of you who have asked many poeple like i have, have to understand my dismay when it comes o getting a GOOD answer let alone an honest answer to the situation. i currently run a 8.25, and to some people thats a waste of time beacuse nothing beats a 8.75, theres nothing that even comes close.. Why? because its a popular rear and its hard as hell to come across and you heard they were the best, open your eyes and take advantage of how a D60 is way bigger then a 8.75, and the cost of cutting welding and installing is a one time deal! Now changing gears might be a hassle but how often do you need to do that, if your changing gear sets every weekend, dont you think you should make this a fulltime bracket car and not a strip street car. your wasting your time. And research was lacking on your behalf. You should feel for what the person is in search of and how THEY feel about the matter they are doing their research. Help by showing the light of all options and not just praise on the 8.75. Because the price and availability and cost to build a 8.75 and the fact that a DANA 60 CAME behind a BB or a HEMI for that matter says nothing for the rear.

I cant believe i just wasted 10 minutes of my life trying to straighten this matter out for all you 8.75PRO(any other rearend Nazi's) rear end guys who are just ignorant to the fact that someone has spent a long time looking for a rear end that everyone has pointed and leaned him towards just to have him waste money on a rear you cant really find anymore. and pricing should be a different you OWN a Mopar, one of the more exotic and beautiful kinds of cars out there.. a dart, a cuda, a charger, a challenger, a GTX.. or even a neon... maybe you own a hemi in peices.. but you own a Mopar and its YOURS do it up how YOU want and price shouldnt be a topic since anything for a mopar cost an arm and a leg ANYWAY.. whats the DIFFERENCE???

Thats MY little rant and im sure when i can calm down ill find more to rant about.

Anyone else want to add or Rant aswell??
Feel FREE, i donate this thread to be rant central. and I KNOW theres plenty of you out there that agree with me.

Well i atleast HOPE so

So what's your point, you don't like 8.75s?

I'll never get my click back...

A factory 8.75 and factory Ford 9" have essentially the same strength. The advantage the 8.75 has is it's higher pinion position, it's more efficient than a 9" and hence eats up less power. The biggest advantage of the 9" is everyone makes parts and complete axle assemblies most of which are much stronger than any 9" that came from the factory.

The D60 is about as bullet proof a rear end that you can get. It also is not as efficient as an 8.75. One of the mopar rags did a back to back comparison of a sb Duster with an 8.75 and D60, the D60 car was consistently .1-.2 seconds slower in the 1/4. Mother mopar only put the D60 behind big block 4spd cars as the stock rear, the others got an 8.75.

The 8.25 was the replacement for the 8.75 and has been in production longer than any other mopar rear (still in use today in Dakota's and Jeeps). Though ultimately not as strong as the 8.75 it's still capable of supporting a sb well past 400HP. I am using one in my 68 Barracuda and have no plans what so ever to swap it out with anything else.

Ace said:
So what's your point, you don't like 8.75s?

I'll never get my click back...

Actually i wasted some of your time while you read this and no you wont get your click back, im sorry for your loss.

I dont see the over all falue in rear end in topic. an A-body 8.75!
Maybe you can humour me.. if not enlighten me on the whole matter, and possibly how such rare and unreasonably OVER-priced rear is worth the hassle and money, since the only people who LIKE the rear end already OWN one and, when a substitute such as a F9", or that of a D60, or for those of you who might be more reluctant to spend money and opt for a 8.25 for convenience...
Still think im a favouritist for anything OTHER then a 8.75?
Im not and by no means do i intend to upset a few people but theres more to it then you obviously read.

I chose it for my purposes becuase as dgc mentions, it is efficient. And Mopar. And I do my own work. What more reasons do I need?

Certainly none to satisfy your irrational attitude towards them.

To each his own. But to rant about it like this? Unbelieveable.

Years ago, Musclecar Review published an article on the strength of factory rearends. I don't remember the basis of their arguments, but they had the rear ends listed in strength from strongest to weakest as follows:

Dana 60
Ford 9"
Chrysler 8 3/4
GM 12 Bolt

Again, I do not know how they came up with their conclusions. But they published these rankings for stock rearends. I will try to dig up the article.

Dana's are great...awesome rear ends. For the cost, they are a little over-kill for most light A-bodies. 8 3/4s are about perfect for us street guys, and girls.

Don't even debate a 9 inch on this site. FORDS and their parts SUCK..period!

And that argument about how you might as well buy a Dana after you beef up the 8.75 is bull. You will come in at least $400 cheaper if you do the work yourself, and it will be lighter and faster and nearly just as strong.

First off, I think we all need to calm down a bit, we're all here together, liking, driving, working on the same types of cars and who they are made by, mainly Ma Mopar. I've read the other thread and I don't beleive the two or three people that responded to that thread were trying to convince the topic starter to go with a 8 3/4. They were just sharing there ideas, not starting a pro 8 3/4 team. I have a 8 3/4 but if I was making the power needed for a stronger axle, I would have no problem updating to the Ford 9 or the Dana 60. The 8 3/4 is a good axle but if your making huge numbers then it is smart to go with the Dana or a Ford 9 especially if you have access to them. If it were me, I would look into how much horsepower and torque the engine makes, how heavy the car is, what braking options I have for the various diff's, how much $$$$ I had available to spend on that portion of the car, and what I was going to use the car for before making a recommendation for what differential to go with. Really all that info would be needed before making a good recommendation on what differential to go with. I thought the majority of the replies on that other thread responded to the topic starter very nicely and gave him some good info, without some of the info I mentioned above.

will drive around with my 8 1/4" rear until it blows just because everyone tells me it wont last for long so far it has lasted me 3 years behind a angry litle 340 and i will keep it even when i build a stroker and or go for W5 heads, and i know it will last alot longer than most think....
i have a dana rear taken from a truck in my garage and i know 8 3/4" rears are better than most but i cant justfy putting son much money into those rears just because people think they are the better rear...

IL duster said:
I would look into how much horsepower and torque the engine makes, how heavy the car is, what braking options I have for the various diff's, how much $$$$ I had available to spend

Couldn't agree more. Every case, build, set of circumstances, whatever, is different. There's pros and cons to every aspect of it. But to jump a thread topic like this and just basically try to blacklist a rear end of all things, with some pretty illogical arguments to back it up IMHO, well...

:wack:

There is nothing wrong with the 8 1/4 rears. A good rear but once you put
a set of gears in it. Thats what you got. The 8 3/4 rears you can change gears at will. I have two sets of the Duster. 3.23s for street and 4.30s for
the strip. I could not change gear ratios in less that one hour with a 8 1/4.
I WILLNOT put a Ford rear in my car. Unless it's all out race. You don't
need a dana. Just my opinion.

duster340 said:
will drive around with my 8 1/4" rear until it blows just because everyone tells me it wont last for long so far it has lasted me 3 years behind a angry litle 340 and i will keep it even when i build a stroker and or go for W5 heads, and i know it will last alot longer than most think....
i have a dana rear taken from a truck in my garage and i know 8 3/4" rears are better than most but i cant justfy putting son much money into those rears just because people think they are the better rear...

OMG, THANK YOU.!

heres a beer..
:drinkers:

Its just unjustifyable. thats all im trying to say, mind you i hit a nerve with ACE :axe: and he is a little pissed about my outragous way of thinking but, hes never had to be in my shoes or maybe he has... but when all i wanted and asked for was help and all some not all but some people , all they would have to say is bla bla bla 8.75.. best out there bla blaaa blaaaa 8.25 is too weak.. bla bla it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And I can understand why ma mopar would have put a 8.25 behind a v8 is she didnt think it was a good idea.
moparaxle.jpg

I myself have a 8 1/4 currently in my car. But I have a 9" that i got from a friend with two dropouts. I have other things I have to spend my money on, my car has to wait, as it's a toy/mental medicine. I would use a 8 3/4 but I don't have the $$$. The car is mine and I'll put whatever the hell in it I want. The 8 1/4 is making noise, I think it has to do with doing quarter mile one legger. So I figure it will cost me about $300 for axles and such to set it up. This doesn't include the $150 for wilwood's and vented rotors. So total for the rear with two centers 3.50 open, 4.11 spool, and big rear disc for $450. How much for all of this for a mopar equivelant? Around here mopar to people means $$ doesn't matter if it's a k car or cuda. All in all it's all brand preference/money issue.

No Cerwin, I am not pissed. You are the one who started this rant. And I am not hearing this 8.75 snobbery you keep bringing up. Anyone who claims one single solution to a given problem is the be-all and end-all is just ignorant. It is all relative. Different equipment, different characteristics: Strength (foremost), weight (second maybe?), efficiency, parts. And various subjective (Mopar vs. Ford, etc.) factors lead people to choose their path to rear gear nirvana, if you will.

I think you are suffering from some "subjective" factor you have not revealed to us yet. As far as being in your shoes, I suspect that is a clue. I can tell you that I only recently started earning enough money to spend more or less freely on the cars. As a teenager and young man I drove my share of junkers, but they were all Mopars! I ran around in a /6 Duster with a 7.25 that literally rusted out from underneath me at one point. That is what inspired me to build the one I drive today.

So whatever this bias you have against me, my car, 8.75s or whatever it is that put the wild hair up your butt, I think it is only in your imagination.

Ace said:
So whatever this bias you have against me, my car, 8.75s or whatever it is that put the wild hair up your butt, I think it is only in your imagination.

I'll have to check and recheck but Im almost positive that i made in no subtle nor out right way a bias or dorogative comment towards you your car or your momma, you should try to understand that I myself.. No other parties am strugling with how close minded some people can be to a seperate way of life and how that maybe JUST maybe a 8.25 may out beat a 8.75 in the quarter mile put behind the asme motor in the same conditions and driven by my identicle twin, like i stated clearer then day in my other post, I am in no need of anger or upset individuals towards me.

With the fact still remaining that my ORIGINAL argument was simply on how most people you ask,"id like to upgrade my rear from a 7.25 to something larger and im on a fine budget, 80% of people who know somewhat of which they speak simply recommend the more infamous 8.75, completely ignoring the fact that not even 28 seconds ago I had mentioned im looking for some kind of cheaper solution to a what is normally a more exspensive upgrade for most. since they only NEED to do it once and do it right the first time.

Arguing THAT bias almost "UNbelievablely arrogant" :wack: topic as i want heard stated I cant understand why people dont praise the 8.25 or a (hmm) 8.8 with disks from a ferd. A simple 9" from a Ferd which until today i thought would be a cheaper route since they are a more pupular rear with multiple options for upgrade and local parts would be cheaper.

I simply, from the get go just wanted my voice herd and a question answered.

Whats so gung-ho about a 8.75? versus a different rear end from ma mopar or a different producer.
And more or less letting off steam, since my battle to find a 8.75 has lead me down a rough road and opther options are heavily concidered at this point.

:sign5:Lmao, Im thinking about renaming the thread 'Battle Of The Fittest'
any oppinions?

Well I for one am not mad or upset or anything like that, I hear what your saying, I just dont see that your hearing what is being said. The 8 3/4 (rare and special jewel that it can be) is simply a better rear than the 8.25, 7.25, beyond all doubt in refrence to strength, even in the 8 3/4 world their are three flavours in respect to the actual pumkin (banjo) housing in that their is a 741 housing (weakest), 742, and 489 (strongest), as has been mentioned they are a more "effiecient" reear as far as parasitic drag and horsepower consumption (one of the major arguments for why one would use a 904 auto trans over a 727, it uses LESS horsepower which means more of the power you are making is going towards making your car move forward ("Quickly"). One of the points not mentioned is the fact the 8 3/4 runs a tapered timken roller bearing, for any who are into SERIOUS road racing, auto cross, etc, this is an important item to consider. A dana 60 is "A BIG F*&^IN REAR, PERIOD) we all know it, is it HUGE overkill in an A body, hell yah, but if you got one and the cost is right, I would never knock ya for running it, (knocking 1 to 2 tenths off your ET will always be better than me tryin to make mine 1 or 2 tenths faster). The Ford 9 is a good rear also, has an outstanding history in drag racing, BUT it is still a non mopar rear (a big deal to any hard core moparite) and is generally not as good a rear for the above mentioned auto cross, road racing, etc. They do have huge gear selection for them and if your truly hard core I am sure you can swap tapered bearings into them , but it is still not a mopar item. Part of what makes my mopar great to me is it is a MOPAR, not some cross bread bastard with a half dozen makers parts mixed together (I already have one of those in the form of a jeep).
In the end, you may not like what some have to say on the subject, but the facts speak for themselves, and you'll run what you 1.Want 2.Have available 3.Can afford. I don't think anybody here cares whether it's an 8.25 that your going to run just because everyone else says it wont survive or a Dana 60 because you got money and horsepower to spare, as long as your willing to line up and have your butt handed to you at the track :twisted:

I guess I'm missing something here, did Ace say something in another post to recommend a 8 3/4 at all times? From the two posts referenced I don't take his responses that way, maybe that is just me. As far as why the 8 3/4 is popular is and this is my opinion, is that the 8 3/4 came in a ton of our beloved iron. Dana 60's was a option but there are not many in a-bodies that I have run across before, at least factory equipped that is. In my area you can still find the 8 3/4 from other a-bodies that will bolt right in, a change of gears, maybe a new auburn posi or some other posi manufacturer stronger axles and you have a decent street/strip rear that will hold up quite nice. I personally have a whole other center chunk set up ready to rock, if I want to drive my car for long distances with 2.73 gears in it. It seems to all depend on what you have available to you to use. If you have a dana 60 or a ford 9, and don't have a 8 3/4 then use the dana or the ford. If you have a 8 3/4 then use that if you aren't making huge horsepower and torque. I used the 8 3/4, because my car is not making big numbers, I had the differential already, had the stock posi unit that was working, and I bought a gear set, bearings and seals and set it up. It would be my guess that these 8 3/4 pro team members that have been referred to, were in the same boat as myself and that is why they use them. I guess the 8 3/4 can be built to handle good horsepower and torque. I wouldn't know anything about that. It also seems to me in the high performance world be it chevy,ford, mopar whatever, that the opinions run wild. And all people have there "parts" and "suppliers", that are just the best bar none, and there is nothing you can tell these people that will change there mind. Hey as long as they are happy then that's great its one more member in our great hobby. Its our job as the topic starter or a reader of a post, is to take out the important parts of what that person is saying and leave his personal thoughts behind. There is going to always say this is the way you should do it, and if you don't then your car is not goint to run right, or it will break, or it won't run the time your after. Take the info as given as that person is trying to help you, not bash you. That is my 2 cents on this subject, we're all here to learn from each other and enjoy our cars.

Man, I feel like I'm walkin' on eggshells here. Seems like I get wrapped in one of these type threads every couple months or so. All in good fun and camaraderie to me, though...

:toothy7:

OK I got to laugh. Why you ask? Oh you didn't...tough, I'm telling you anyway. I have an 8 3/4 in my Duster but didn't mention it in the D60 vs 9" discussion. Why? Oh you don't care? lol Tough. Because that was what came in the car but if I had left the 4 speed in it I would have had to replace it with a Dana because the car never made a full pass down the track without breaking something in the driveline before I installed the 904. Oh wait...904, that's another debate...lol

Happy ranting to you.

Well, after spending the time to READ all of those posts, I have to say SOMETHING (anything)

My name is Superdart...
I have a good 360.....
I am keeping my 8 1/4.......

:toothy7:

LoL.. look what i have done and all i wanted to really do was state how some people bug me because they are 'tunnel visioned' when it comes to mopar rearends.. "Oh your 8.25 is junk never hold up behind a V8 you have to have a 8.75" .. I needed advice, what i did not need was ..'this is what you should do because theres no other way or else your wasting your time and money and bla bla'

but this is kinda fun.. what should my next useless rant be about? :angel9:

What the hell is with chocolate chip cookies. Why do some have more chocolate chips then others.. Geez!

What the hell is with chocolate chip cookies. Why do some have more chocolate chips then others.. Geez!

I don't care for chocolate chip cookies,no matter how many chips !!

[QUOTE='73red-duster]

I don't care for chocolate chip cookies,no matter how many chips !![/QUOTE]

WOW, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.. :coffee2: cheer up buttercup

-
Back