R.I.P Pontiac

-
never going to miss them. when we were out looking for cars a few months ago pontiac really had a bunch of ugly cars on the lot.only thing cool they have now is that little two seater. maybe if gm got their heads out of their asses years ago they woudn't have to shut down pontiac today.

i will miss them. they were at least one time gm's performance division. with them gone it is just another blow to all performance cars in general gm or not. if the performance flame gets snuffed out altogether we will all be driving little putt putt cars......here is our future!

Snap4.jpg

I'd love to have a 64-67 Goat or first gen. Firebird. Prior to my wife and I owning a 300, we had a '94 and '98 Grand Am, both ran well and fun to drive. GM dropped the ball. Over all this is a blow to the U.S. auto industry and a testiment to poor management.

How about getting the government completely out of car manufacturing? No CAFE, no safety standards, etc. Let the market (the people) determine what they want to buy. If they want safety, they could by a car designed like a tank. If they want mileage, they could buy a shoebox on a rollerskate (which Government Motors will soon be building). If they want a 500 h.p. 1970 body-style Hemi 'Cuda, let it be.

Basically, let the people decide what they want. After all, this nation was once free; does anybody remember?

I'm sorry to see Pontiac go as well. First Oldsmobile and now Pontiac.
My 1st car was a '64 Olds Cutlass and, being my 1st car, I loved it. Still have a 15th Anniversary Hurst Olds I bought new in '83. Had that, a '74 TransAm, and a '69 340 Swinger when my ex and I split up. She took the TransAm and I kept the H/O and the Dart. Wish I still had that TransAm, it was a great looking car and fun to drive with the 455.

sounds like you got the best of that deal hands down, but it still sucks to have something of yours taken by a judge and given to someone who had no part in it! Been there, done that and wasn't left with enough to buy the T-shirt!!:angry5:

Fishbreath is the man!!!:cheers: I can only imagine what mopar would be doing now days =P~=P~=P~=P~=P~, they had it all back then mileage,dependability,handling and whats that other thing that gets hearts pumping and women:sign10:? oh yeah POWER!!!:-D

How about getting the government completely out of car manufacturing? No CAFE, no safety standards, etc. Let the market (the people) determine what they want to buy. If they want safety, they could by a car designed like a tank. If they want mileage, they could buy a shoebox on a rollerskate (which Government Motors will soon be building). If they want a 500 h.p. 1970 body-style Hemi 'Cuda, let it be.

Basically, let the people decide what they want. After all, this nation was once free; does anybody remember?

Amen!

Except the car companies WERE building what the market wanted, and the market went south faster than anyone figured.

Except the car companies WERE building what the market wanted, and the market went south faster than anyone figured.

About which period of time in U.S. history do you speak?

Guys, if you really want a G8, have a Holden imported from Ausralia. The only difference is the grille.

fastmopar

Pontiac Lost Its Way When They Started Using Chevy Engines In Their Cars. When They Quit Using Pontiac Engineering, They Lost Their Identy. Just As Oldsmobile Did.

Pontiac Lost Its Way When They Started Using Chevy Engines In Their Cars. When They Quit Using Pontiac Engineering, They Lost Their Identy. Just As Oldsmobile Did.

The money men at GM hq decided this one. I've often thought of moving my 71 cutlass but then I start it up and banish the thought.

Much of what Detroit has built for the past 40 years is mostly what the government wants it to build. In spite of CAFE, the US car makers made the most profit from bigger, stronger, and faster vehicles. They were actually using the profits from the big vehicles to underwrite the costs of the little shitboxes that they were forced to build and which they sold virtually below cost. If the US auto buyers wanted a shoe box on a roller skate, the companies would make one. Even traditional foreign shitbox makers were building bigger, stronger, and faster vehicles for the U.S. market.

The present downturn in the economy is hurting all car companies, not only those in Detroit. If you remember, we suffered huge damage to our oil transport and refining capacity by three huge hurricanes in three years. Then you had China and various speculators driving up the price of oil on the international markets while OPEC controls production. The result was that the price of gasoline skyrocketed last summer. This caused U.S. customers to once again begin buying high mileage shitboxes, if only for the short term, before they resumed buying big vehicles once the price of gas dropped late in 2008. The US car companies make almost no profit from the little cars; they were still in a financial hole. Then the economic downturn occurred, compounded by the government throwing gasoline instead of water on that fire.

7Demon2.....
There are 2 things I like about the SMART cars............................

I can tell the driver that my motorcycle has over twice the HP that his car does.

We can fit so many more on a truck.................
Smart-1.jpg

Hah! Good one Dave. A head-on collision between one of those and your motorcycle would likely be fatal to the Smart Car driver. You would need a can opener to get him out.

-
Back