race to pump gas mix and converter stall?

-

elitesrock2

Reaction score
so i'm probably gonna be running my 340 around next summer on the street and wanna know what you guys think I should do for mixing race fuel with pump gas non ethanol premium to be exact on the pump gas. Not familiar a whole lot with race fuel let me know what the good stuff is. the engine is a 340 with x heads, super victor intake 850 cfm demon, cam is RX302S-R6 comp cams 302/309 269/276 at .050 .654/.655 lift. 106 lobe separation. has 11.5-1 compression. custom ross pistons. also what gear ratio would you guys recommend on the street with a 4500 stall converter. i'm going to drive this car quite a bit. gonna have 26x9.50 hoosier dot slicks on as well.

It looks like you will have about a 8.11 DCR which will probably run fine on non ethanol premium gas only, no race fuel required.

What type of street driving do you have planned for it? Are you going with a wide ratio gear set in the trans?

It looks like you will have about a 8.11 DCR which will probably run fine on non ethanol premium gas only, no race fuel required.

What type of street driving do you have planned for it? Are you going with a wide ratio gear set in the trans?
street driving like friday night cruising, i may but very very rare chance drive it to work which is 35 miles of highway once or twice. the trans will probably be stock style ratios.

x2

Just don't' go crazy with your timing curve and you should be fine.

So what gearing would you guys recommend? I have a set of 4.56 gears i could use. that puts me at like 3200 at 55 i believe. gonna try a hughes 4500 stall.

I do that very thing in my 572 - 11.5-1 Hemi Cuda. Around here, the only ethanol free gas is 90 octane. The pump gas 93 octane gas has minimum 10% ethanol. I think the OP's combo would be iffy at best on 90 octane gas. Same with mine. So, I do the following:

I buy a drum of VP - 110 racing fuel and mix it in another drum 50/50 with the 90 octane ethanol free fuel. I end up with about 110 gallons of 100 octane, ethanol free fuel. Blending the VP with the ethanol free fuel really lowers the cost per gallon of the fuel. Hope this helps...

See the following octane mix calculator.

Octane Mix Calculator - Wallace Racing

So what gearing would you guys recommend? I have a set of 4.56 gears i could use. that puts me at like 3200 at 55 i believe. gonna try a hughes 4500 stall.

4.56's put you at 55mph @ 2950rpm. That gets real old, real fast.

3.55 - 3.91 is the range I'd want to be in with a 29" tire and no OD.

Now get yourself an OD and you'll open up a whole new word for yourself.

keep in mind that speed driving around will be very rare occurence. i'm going to be running a 26 inch tire. like maybe once a month if that to work. otherwise just cruising around town at 35

35mph with 4.56's through town is perfect.

55 to 60 is straight hell.

Other than our 87 w/10% ethanol and 91 octane premium the only other choice around here would be AV gas at the airport. Not sure but I think it would be 100 octane. Is there any advantage to using the AV gas or is it just wishful thinking?
Yote

Yup, 4.56 gear is a GREAT street gear. Its all I use. If you dont hit the freeway all the time its perfect. I can run 70 MPH in mine and it dont bother me. Wouldnt want to do that for 3 hours straight, but an hour is ok.

Just pump gas will be fine. You have an *** load of cam timing for 340 inches. Skimp on gears and my truck will roast you.

Call PTC for a converter. They will make it nice for a car you drive on the street. The last several Hughes converters I dealt with were disappointing to say the least.

Check "pure-gas.org", for ethanol free fuel in your area. You may pay a little more for it, than say 10% ethanol gasoline, but may well be worth it! Here in Michigan, there are countless "pure gas" stations, due to the amount of water we have here (think Marine gas).

-
Back