raced a lt1 trans am tonight in my abody!

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
i got a buddy with a 96 trans am with a lt1 in it. bone stock with exhaust, cold air intake and a chip(dont know what kind) and .456 gears. 6speed. i raced him tonight in my 67 valiant(3160lbs with me) 75 318 motor with a 904 transmission(stock) motor has a .454 lift compcam, edelbrock streetmaster intake, 4bbl 650 holley carb vacum sec. , shitty long tube headers. no exhaust. 8 1/4 rear with suregrip and .323 gears. we were about side by side. what can i do cheap to beat him lol. i have .410 gears for it. maybe a better intake? bigger carb? need ideas to get more hp cheap.

I would say gears, but bama's got a point. If you spin, it really doesn't matter. Look into getting some traction aides...

What's you're overall goal with the car? Are you looking to keep up with a stockish LT-1 in the quarter? Are you trying to make a cruiser? Any particular power goals?

You are at the end of the line for bolt on power. Nothing cheap is left. Gears maybe, but with a 904 4.10 gears reduce your top end dramatically. I speak from experience. That's the main reason I went to an overdrive transmission.

...pretty much. And even then, you're looking at about $400 for the setup and getting the bottle filled...then you have to make sure the fuel system can deliver enough fuel.

I would also offer a stall converter will help you get out of the hole quicker, but putting the power down is still of pretty high importance.

did a 20roll and yeah i spin first gear! with 295/15/50 tires! my goal with this motor is to beat it until it blows lol im starting a 408 stoker build for the car this winter. my goal for that motor is 500whp. and im thinking about juice. i got a bottle and line. found a used kit for 200 in town. do like a 150 shot. id like to beat most people in my town(350hp) with this motor now. im guessing my at like 250 right now. so im thinking nos is the cheapest and fastest way for it. but can i do 410s with nos. or too much? keep the 323 with the nos.? is there a better intake i can run with that cam? stock heads right now. dont wanna do a head swap with this motor.

If you're spinning a 295 x section tire, I'd say the biggest thing you need is traction. But, if you don't spin, you'll lose RPM...which means you need some gear. I know Hot Rod beat up a 70s 318 many moons ago with nitrous. I think they got to either a 150 or a 200 shot before it finally spun a rod bearing.

I'd add, if you're spinning now with a mild 318, you'll need to buy stock in Goodyear to keep that thing shod when you finish your 408...

1149048_662972687048891_2132094819_n.jpg

here is the cam card. the motor has 60-75k miles on it. whats the bigest shot you think it will hold? 200?

think a 750 holley would be too big? and what about roller rocker arms? ebay sells the procomp brand ones for 200 something. anygood?

750 is way too big like they said above you are past your peak of cheap bolt ons. A heater might make that sucker way faster..........lol good luck

Drop weight and put what weight's left over the rear axle.

I'd run the next cam up from that and a split duration unit at that. Look at the XE series cams. As far as those rockers are concerned, I've read good and bad. For double the price a nice set can be picked up from Comp or Huges engines. Superior tuff! 1.6 ratio if you wanted.
The intake is an old one. The Weiand Action plus is what I would be looking at.
Your also lacking compression. Look into pricing a head milling of approx. .060 IIRC .
Head milling is probably the cheapest upgrade. It can also be a pain in the *** if you go far with matching up the intake after the milling.

Combine these suggestions and it'll be a really nice power increase. And it'll still work with the stock converter and gear ratio.

Oh, I forgot, what do you have for suspension ?

anyone on here selling a nos kit? and ill try to put weight on the rear? right over the rear on just in the trunk?

A cop chasing you for street racing like a dumbass would be good motivation.

I'd run the next cam up from that and a split duration unit at that. Look at the XE series cams. As far as those rockers are concerned, I've read good and bad. For double the price a nice set can be picked up from Comp or Huges engines. Superior tuff! 1.6 ratio if you wanted.
The intake is an old one. The Weiand Action plus is what I would be looking at.
Your also lacking compression. Look into pricing a head milling of approx. .060 IIRC .
Head milling is probably the cheapest upgrade. It can also be a pain in the *** if you go far with matching up the intake after the milling.

Combine these suggestions and it'll be a really nice power increase. And it'll still work with the stock converter and gear ratio.

what about the Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap? they good. i like them beacuse the high rise flow of them

70AARcuda (Tony) has a thread going on now about a intake swap. He is running 10:68 with it on a 340.

Locomotion (Myron) is a class racer that is very consistent and a multi time division winner with his 360 powered Duster. He has been given print a number of times for his winnings.

Both of these fellas will tell you that an intake change can provide results good and bad. It's what the engine wants! Measure your heads port windows against the Intakes port windows. You can match up the ports as close as possible.

Ethier intake should show an improvement.

What do you have for suspension?

S/S springs?
Skinny T bars?
Shock brand/style?

What do you have for suspension?

S/S springs?
Skinny T bars?
Shock brand/style?

stock slant six up front(looking for bbp disc for the front right now) and super stock springs in the rear with a autozone brand struts. a 8 1/4 duster 340 rear with a jeep suregrip and stock duster 340 gears(323 i think). got skinnys on the front with m/t tires( they suck btw) and steelies in the rear. 10.5 wide rim on a 295/50/15 kelly charger tires. looking to run a street slick.

-
Back