Rack & Pinion

-

HotLines

Realist - Free Thinker
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity:
Though I am no longer a drag racer, I still hit the back roads daily and was wondering, besides changing K- frames, is there an alternate route to go using the stock K-frame with its torsion bars and using manual rack and pinion steering which for me personally would be ideal. At my age just one update to the steering would be a good thing and would allow the use of any oil pan without going overboard.

Anyone out here making such a thing?

I think someone did it with a Dakota rack and stock k frame. Where the rack mounted, I don't remember.

Me too, I'd do it just for a better ratio. I think some of the issues that arise are the angle of the steering column and the location of the rack to hook up to the stock spindle ends. In some of the samples I've seen the steering knuckle on the spindle needs to be facing forward and the rack mounted in front of or in the center of the K-frame. I may look into the flaming river box knock off.

The Dakota one I believe mounted the rack through the K frame similar to the 73+ sway bar. I think there was some concern as to limited steering angle though. Was a pretty clean and easy setup from the looks of it. I think it was a front steering setup, so you may have needed to do something with the spindles, either just flip them side to side to move the steering arm to the front or some aftermarket piece.

-
Back