Radiator is leaking...replacement options?

-

PSJanis

Reaction score
Hi all,

recently found out my 74 dart (225 slant 6) has a bit of a radiator leak. not sure how hot its getting, all my gauges minus the ammeter dont work, but theres a pool of coolant at the bottom of the radiator. In addition, someone put an incorrect hose (too long, rubs on underside of hood) on the top of the radiator, and the lower hose is bulging a bit. Does anyone have a good source for replacement parts, as well as any tips/tricks to changing out the radiator?

Thanks!

Take it to your local rad shop and have it fixed.This will be cheaper with less headache.Been there/done that.

I got a new oversized radiator from Autozone for less than 200 bucks tax and all.
Even had the cooler fittings and all of it fit the first try.

Just a FYI

If it's a copper/brass radiator and it's leaking on the header seams, you can fix it yourself with a plumbers torch.

I replaced mine with a new one from O'Reillys. Perfect fit and solved my cooling problem. Under $200.

Sounds like your driving a time bomb, A little like Russian roulete. Take some time and start fixing some of the issues.

Hoop, do you remember which radiator you bought? was it also for a slant 6?

just trying to make sure i get the right thing the first time round.

your looking for one for a slant 6 ?

I have one from my 71 slant 6 with A/C
it has the transmission cooler but I pulled the nipples of to install them on my new radiator
it was working fine when I pulled it to install a 360 and larger radiator

ill sell it to you for $40 plus shipping

Hoop, do you remember which radiator you bought? was it also for a slant 6?

just trying to make sure i get the right thing the first time round.

Mine was the biggest one for darts in 72, My Dart has 318 with AC, ReadyRad brand, looks real close to old one I took out, its painted right color, but they paint over a dot sticker & only put a thin colt of paint on it, so for a show car I would give it another colt of satin black, but they are ready to bolt in right out of the box!

The tranny cooler tubes are the hardest part. Spray rust dissolver a day before and perhaps you won't twist the tubes when removing the nuts. Best to use a "flare wrench". A good time to consider adding an aux cooler. Cut both hoses and peel off, since they sound junky, being careful not to crimp the thin radiator tubes (putty knife, not screwdriver). Then 4 bolts. Just loosen the lower 2 since the flange is slotted (usually). Drain it first. I always cap the tranny cooler flares (Ace hardware 5/16") so no oil leaks or trash in tranny. Rockauto should have all you need, but hoses can vary even in the same year, depending on engine and accessories.

On many cars w/ a plastic fan shroud, you must remove the fan to get the shroud out, which means loosening the fan belts, ... But, you can probably leave the shroud sitting over the fan and work the radiator past it as you pull it upward.

You guys who found radiator at Oreillys, which one? Part #? When I called them they say they dont have any radiators, and that I could bring it in and they can send it out to basically be re-cored for $388.

You guys who found radiator at Oreillys, which one? Part #? When I called them they say they dont have any radiators, and that I could bring it in and they can send it out to basically be re-cored for $388.
Find a radiator shop yourself and have it recored; it'll cost a whole lot less than that. There have to be some left in LA somewhere....

-
Back