Radiator questions

-

Turk

Reaction score
I just got my 360 4spd swap done in any car and the used sb rad I have for the car has a small leak and I still have my slant rad laying around and was wondering if that would work with the car and also the car doesn't like being in reverse it stalls out unless I over rev it.

The /6 radiator may hold up. A lot depends on the engines output and condition of the radiator. A 2 row will have issues cooling, but could hold up, a 3 row might hold up OK. The larger the radiator the better. So if it is a small /6 unit, you might have trouble. I did a '78, 318 with bolt on parts and a very mild cam. The 2 row /6 radiator worked. Figure the engine probably had approx. 260 HP.

If its a copper cored radiator, why dont you solder/braze up the leak? like rumble said, the slant radiator will probably work but will be taxed.

The /6 radiator may hold up. A lot depends on the engines output and condition of the radiator. A 2 row will have issues cooling, but could hold up, a 3 row might hold up OK. The larger the radiator the better. So if it is a small /6 unit, you might have trouble. I did a '78, 318 with bolt on parts and a very mild cam. The 2 row /6 radiator worked. Figure the engine probably had approx. 260 HP.

What do you mean by 2 and three row? It's a stock 360 out of an 84 d150 with headers everything else is stock. I believe it's the 19" rad

If its a copper cored radiator, why dont you solder/braze up the leak? like rumble said, the slant radiator will probably work but will be taxed.

Can you solder or braze it even if it's leaking from the core?

2 or 3 row refers to how many rows of cooling tubes there is. Front to back, not left to right. /6 would be a 2 row, and most V8 are as well. V8 just are wider, more cooling tubes left to right. I had my Rad. recored with a high efficiency three row cooper core. A inexpensive way to fix a Rad. with a leaking cooling tube, is to solder the tube closed on both ends. You need to take the Rad. apart to do this. a Rad. shop can do this. Of course, cooling efficiency will be a little less. Most of us will not skimp on cooling because it is so important. :burnout: FYI to recore my original Rad. over 500 dollars. Not cheap.

Can you solder or braze it even if it's leaking from the core?
You can cut and close off the offending tube(s) while assembled IF it is leaking well up into the rad core, and not at the point where the tube connects to the top or bottom plates of the core. You have to cut some of the surrounding fins to get a clear area to solder. Silver solder is used so higher than normal solder iron temps are needed.

If it leaks right where the tube connects to the top or bottom plates, then it usually has to come apart.

If you see a lot of signs of weeping (like a number of greenish spots all over), then the tubes are just getting corroded and thin and a new core will be needed eventually, and tube repairs become iffy.

-
Back