Raising Rear End with a Lift Block kit on my Slant six

-

Mopar King

Beginner / Need of Help
Reaction score
I really want to raise the back rear of my car by 2 1/2 inches. I was doing some research on how and found this on a auto zone website :read2:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...itemIdentifier=540310_0_0_&_requestid=1326990

I was trying to search this on the summit racing site but got lost. I was wondering if anyone can help me with a part number on summit. I found a couple of them of them but wasn't sure if they are for my car. thanks

I'm not sure how that would raise the back of your car? Looks like, if anything, when installed it would lower the rear unless your spring pads are on top of your axle like a truck.

You will probably need to get new springs, have your old ones re-arched, or get a leaf or two from an old truck and some new leaf spring bolts and put them in with your springs. I had stock /6 springs and did the last of the three options because I am on a tight budget. It stiffened up my rear and raised it an inch or two, and I only put in one per side.

Ols school spring shackles out back. Probably cost 7 bucks at Pep Boys. I had my high school 340 65 Barracuda rear so high, 14X10 rims cleared the rear fenders with Gabriel hi-jacker air shocks! Probably about 4 inches higher. Blocks will lower as the spring is already on the bottom.

Because our a body cars use springs that mount under the axle housing those blocks would lower your car. They will only raise a vehicle like some trucks or cars where the springs are mounted on top of the axle housing.

Back in the day I used air shocks to lift the rear of my car. But now I like them low with the tallest widest tire I can fit. This Barracuda has a 2" lowering block in the back with a 235-70-15 tire on the back.

Attachments

• lowered barracuda 003.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,506
Because our a body cars use springs that mount under the axle housing those blocks would lower your car. They will only raise a vehicle like some trucks or cars where the springs are mounted on top of the axle housing.

This. Those blocks would lower your car.

Yup. those will lower the car.

Either find a "spring shop" and have your stockers rearched

or find a junker and rebuild the spring stack, adding a leaf or two

Gabriel/ Monroe / others? air shocks

Air bags

ANYTHING is better than those dammed rear shackles, here's the main thing wrong with 'em:

Other than they look totally silly, they allow the springs to move from side to side, and can actually allow the rear axle to "steer" somewhat. That is, you get 'er leaned over in a curve, the shackles are forced off to one side, the rear axle is allowed to "slide" or tilt or whatever word you want.

In other words it completely destroys all handling.

Speaking of handling, going around wanking up the rear without taking a look at the front suspension, isn't gonna do the handing any good, either.

I wouldn't use shackles to try and raise the car. They will be temporary at best, because what they will do is cause the spring to arch backwards and bend more and possibly even break. shackles are not to raise the car. their only purpose is to lower the rear spring attaching point when using springs with an arch so great that you cannot use the stock location any longer. Most everybody uses shackles incorrectly. they can become dangerous because they allow the spring to put more lateral leverage on the hangers and possibly break them. Air shocks are probably your best low cost bet, or maybe some kinda helper spring. The most correct way would be to just buy new leaf springs.

Alright that was a save, I was thinking of buying these but from your guys help, I steered away from it. thank you 67Dart273 you hit the nail on the head. I don't want my rear to go out of control if I take a curve or corner too sharp.

I learn something new today. So the only options are Air Shocks or New leaf Springs, I'll look into those and see what I can get. I forgot my tire size for rear of my scamp, I'll try and check tomorrow. Thanks everyone .

Also remembner too if you get air shocks, put only enough air in them to get it to the desired height. Air shocks are usually thought of as a quick fix too, but can be useful if they are used correctly. They usually are not a good idea on a leaf spring suspension, but if you're careful, you'll be ok.

Also remembner too if you get air shocks, put only enough air in them to get it to the desired height. Air shocks are usually thought of as a quick fix too, but can be useful if they are used correctly. They usually are not a good idea on a leaf spring suspension, but if you're careful, you'll be ok.

They can be hard on shock mounts. Back in the day, my old 70 RR 440 sixpack had two sets of Gabriels on it over 140,000 miles. Never had a problem with 'em. I don't remember anymore, seems to me that I used to run around 50 psi unless I needed more "trunk capacity."

Springs are not all that expensive when compared to everything else we buy.
This is not a bad price, I am sure if you shop around you can find better prices.
Your old leafs are most likely sagging so you will have more that 1"
Dont forget NEW u-bolts, old ones will drive you nuts trying to keep them tight.
From Mancini web site.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/extraheavyduty.html

Here's what I just purchased for my '69 Dart !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350393724698&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Azz is up in the air right now,as I just received my new spring hangers and shackles from a fellow FABO member (redfastback)!!So if everything goes as planned they will be on by the weekend !!

6pakattack: cool! not bad, let me know how it comes out. I would like to see that. I am tempting to buy one.

As for me, We went with the " Gabriel High Jackers " Air Shocks. They Work like a charm.:mrgreen: I also read in another thread that if you're too careless with the air shocks and put too much air you can damage your Shock mounts of the car :pale:. I'll just keep them to a nice stance maybe 50 PSI or lower and be careful with potholes. I'll Take a Picture soon

Air shocks do work, but the best way is good arched springs and the best stiff shocks you can buy. Below is pics of my car with air shocks on it. By the way, I have been running air shocks on my Mopar and Fords for 35+ years and NEVER had the shock mounts or anything break. I did however have lines either leak or burst. Unfortunately on the 66 Mustang I had back in the day a line did burst. No biggie except I had N-50-15s on the car and man did it do a number on the quarter panels.
Chas.

Attachments

• new car pics 015.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,274
  • new car pics 023.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,289
I am familiar with the autozone kit you mentioned which will not work with a 7 1/4 shock plates. You will need a 8 3/4 to use that kit. It has no block to accomplish the lift. The only difference is that the u bolts are about 3 inches longer than usual.

-
Back