Rally Wheels on my Swingin' '73

What color should my wheels be?

• What, are you a Ferd loving commie? Argent SILVER, as God and Mother Mopar intended!

Votes: 20 95.2%
  • Once you go BLACK, you'll never go back!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Next to RED, I like RED best!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be a trend setter, give them COLOR!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

frogpirate

Reaction score
So, I sold the wheels that came on my '73 Dart and I'm looking for some input on ONE of my choices. A friend gave me a pair of 14" X 5.5" rally's, along with 2 sets of centers (Argent and Dark), a full set of 14" rings, and a pair of 15" rings. For this option, lets assume I am going to use 14" rally's on all four corners. (Other options would be use the 14's up front and get some 15's for the back in the classic "big 'n little's").

The wheels are a little rough looking, but are in generally good condition. A little rust in the usual spots, but not deep enough to pit.

DSCI0302small.jpg

The car is going to stay Rally Red 'n White. It will not be painted any time soon; I'm hoping to keep as much of the stock paint as possible for as long as possible.

Color Options: Hemi Orange, Chrysler Engine Blue, Pink (ok, not really), Yellow, Purple, ???? Center caps can be Argent, Dark Gray or ???

I think if you are going Rally Argent is the best choice. I have a set of cop wheels and I am thinking body color (Plum Crazy).

Silver Argent

With Rallye wheels ... argent. Cop wheels any color you wish. Don't ask me it's the law. LOL

I painted a set of rallyes body color white once. Bright chrome finish centers, rings, and lug nuts. I thought those looked good but I can't imagine any other body color suiting me. My vote is argent.

Keep them Argent...they just look wrong if they are not argent.

Argent wheels.
Correct (Star shaped) 73 Dark centers.
T/A Radials...White letter out.

This is a more traditional group than I realized. So far, 100% Argent.

Johnny - Radial TA's for sure, but I may go black wall out, because I like the look. I had not even thought about the "correct" later caps; naturally I have 2 sets, both '70-71 style. I suppose they would be good trade fodder!

I had not thought about white, but I like it. I forgot one option I was going to put on the poll: leave them 'as found' in 'rat rod' style.

I painted a set of rallyes body color white once. Bright chrome finish centers, rings, and lug nuts. I thought those looked good but I can't imagine any other body color suiting me. My vote is argent.

I have to agree. I painted some white to match my white Duster, and thought it looked good. But that was the 80's and now argent is the only thing that looks good to me.

pettyblue, we need to see those trim rings and caps. toolman

And another vote for Argent with the correct caps....
An old high school teacher had a black Scamp with Rallyes that he accented the openings w/ Petty Blue. I guess you would consider it OK back in the day, but now it would look a bit tacky to me. If you go with the accent, use Rallye Red....
Remember, it's your car as long as it looks good to you that is all that matters!

Pettyblue - love the '66, what a great stance!

With the freebie 14's I bit the bullet this morning and ordered a set of new raw steel 15" x 7's from Specialty Wheels http://www.specialtywheelsltd.org/ in Portland. They are local and I can just drive over and pick them up, and the price was decent.

They won't be argent, just because I'm contrary. :-D I think I will paint them rather than powder coat so if I change my mind later it's an easy job to sand blast and repaint. I'll be sure to post a picture when there on!

Ken

OK, I promised I'd post the wheels when I got them done. Here they are, all mounted up.

DSCI0395small.jpg

The color is 20% gloss black, and I'm using '71 dark rally caps with the brushed centers removed. Lug nuts are new Doorman replacement 'open' style. I still have a couple minor things I'm going to do (valve caps, possible different center) but so far I like the look. It reminds me of the classic steely / dog dish, but with a little NASCAR flair. It's just a little different, just like me. :tonqe: I am not going to be running beauty rings.

Tires are BFG Radial T/A, black wall out, 215/70-14 front & 245/60-15 rear. No clearance issues so far, despite saggy rear springs.

Close up:

DSCI0396small.jpg

One more look.

DSCI0399small.jpg

THEY LOOK AWESOME!!!!!! I totally agree about the cooler Nascar look. Bad *** ;) I would put Red Beauty Rings on them puppies and run it like that... Or at least try it out. There is a little room for improvement somewhere there . . . I like how they make the car look though. Very Unique!

one thing i see is the wheel weight. Maybe paint them so they dont stick out and slap you in the face. but them black wheels are looking great.

i didnt think it would look good but they actualy do. black chrome beauty rings would be sweet to.

Those look great. I have a couple real nice red line trim rings for 15" wheels that would look real good on those. You want them???? Free?? I also have a couple nice 14" rings that you could paint the red lines on.

Man that looks good. Now I vote you go and remove the door bumper strip from the side and add a black bumblebee stripe.

I went with 14" on the front and 15" on the back for that old school look. Ralleys just look right on a dart IMHO. You made the right call ..... it looks great.

IMG_2137.jpg

-
Back