Ran 100 octane for the first time. Wow

-

oldskool

Reaction score
In Norcal, we have a local Union 76 that has 100 at the pump. Granted it's $7.68/gallon. I only need half a tank so it wasn't 'awful' but definitely not a daily stop.

My 68 'Cuda runs a 360 LA with a Holley 750 double pumper. I normally just do 91 octane so this was the first try at race fuel. Wasn't really sure what to expect.

Wow, big difference. Slightly more power but more noticeable was the fact that it just ran smoother. Shame that I can't make this a habit, at least not with the mileage I'm currently getting...

In Norcal, we have a local Union 76 that has 100 at the pump. Granted it's $7.68/gallon. I only need half a tank so it wasn't 'awful' but definitely not a daily stop.

My 68 'Cuda runs a 360 LA with a Holley 750 double pumper. I normally just do 91 octane so this was the first try at race fuel. Wasn't really sure what to expect.

Wow, big difference. Slightly more power but more noticeable was the fact that it just ran smoother. Shame that I can't make this a habit, at least not with the mileage I'm currently getting...

Wow,
Is 91 the best ya'all can get at the pump up there and $7.68 a gallon for 100 octane Yikes !!!

Were still have 93 at the pump for like $3.70 a gallon and I buy Sunoco 110 at the track for $8.50, but yeah to your point car sure does run better on higher octane.
F the EPA is what I say.............

Local guy with his own personal airport and a dozen or better muscle cars sells 100 for $5.00 a gallon. I run it quite often in my car, ran it all the time in my 347 supercharged mustang. Mustang loved it. I also run my tank dry, and put this in for the winter mo. Got tired of rebuilding carb every spring because of the garbage ethanol gas

Yup, we pay a LOT for gas in California. $4/gal for 89 octane is unreasonable in these parts, unfortunately. Just another form of 'tax' we pay for having 2 seasons, sunny and not sunny.

$5??! Nice, I'd go there all the time for that price.

I run 94 Sunoco or Shell 91 in my mild 340. Nice thing about the 91 is NO ethanol. Car loves the 91. Its real gas, not tree hugger formula..............just wonder how long it will be available.

I can get the 100 octane from the local airport here for about $5.50/gallon. I will occasionally get half a tank of that and then top it off with the 91 octane Non-oxy from the Sinclair station next to the airport. Both are only a mile or 2 away from me, which is nice!

Reading this brings a tear to my eye. Takes me back to the days when I could pull into a Sunoco station and dial up 110 octane Sunoco 260 at the pump for less than 45 cents a gallon... We've given up a lot in the name of corporate greed and big government...

Thats about what i pay for regular pumpfuel:banghead:

I run 94 Sunoco or Shell 91 in my mild 340. Nice thing about the 91 is NO ethanol. Car loves the 91. Its real gas, not tree hugger formula..............just wonder how long it will be available.

* Indeed Wally, That's what I run for my little stroker.

California's current gas, has been pee water for 20+ years. Late in 87 91 leaded premium was phased out at Union 76. The supposed " 93 octane" unleaded ,sucked *** compared to the prior formula.

I hate to ruin the illusion, but your car did not run any better because of the higher octane...it ran smoother because of A-The purity of the gas, B-The lack of ethanol.
The octane rating of a fuel only indicates its resistance to detonation. If your car is timed and jetted to run on 87, and all you do is pour 100 in the tank, there will be zero difference in performance. If you go further, to 105 and better, you'll actually see a decrease in performance and mileage because the fuel will be too slow burning for the lower octane settings.

Hummmm, lucky guys down south...Here in central Canada I have a fantastic choice.. 87-89-91 octane and 91 is not avialable at all locations. Av-gas (airport) is illegal to sell to public off the street. The track....no luck run what ya brung! So consider yourselves lucky to even have some 93-4 octane, no doubt its on its way out very soon... :(

I hate to ruin the illusion, but your car did not run any better because of the higher octane...it ran smoother because of A-The purity of the gas, B-The lack of ethanol.
The octane rating of a fuel only indicates its resistance to detonation. If your car is timed and jetted to run on 87, and all you do is pour 100 in the tank, there will be zero difference in performance. If you go further, to 105 and better, you'll actually see a decrease in performance and mileage because the fuel will be too slow burning for the lower octane settings.

Kinda what I was thinking.....

remember the myth "you dont need hi octane" during the gas crunch days? They stated that high octane gas actually produced less power per lb than regular gas in a "regular" gas motor. All things being considered, they never mentioned elevated compression of a built motor. If you build a motor for high octane use, ie higher compression (propane), youll reap the benefits. If you dump 105 in a 74 318, youll probably lose power but only if you are looking at a dyno. Av-gas 118+ was made for 30 inches boost ie. P-51 or P-38 Packard-Merlin/Allison turbo-supercharged motors.

Ha, just read the previous post...yup

Exactly. It gets in people's heads that higher octane fuel is going to produce more power when in reality it doesn't. It only resists detonation better in high comp engines and actually burns slower. If you don't have the compression to need it, race fuel is practically useless.

Awe MAN....I was having fun watching this post go way off the track, and there you go, having to breath some sanity back into it, lol.

I agree, if your motor does not have the compression to require higher octane fuel, you will actually run slower with a fuel that has a slower burn rate (e.g. the higher the octane rating, the slower the burn rate).

I like to have the ethanol content of my fuel to be high....like 85% high.....:D. My last tank of e85 cost me 22 dollars, and the tank was near empty (only $2.50/gal)...:cheers:

...I should have added in that previous post, the exception to this rule are fuel injected engines that run a knock sensor. The computer is always looking to dial in maximum timing, and uses the signal from the knock sensor as the limiting factor. A higher octane fuel will raise the roof on that and allow a broader operating range.

In Norcal, we have a local Union 76 that has 100 at the pump. Granted it's $7.68/gallon.

Must be nice. I can get Cam 2 100 octane unleaded up the road from me but it's $9.99/gal. :disgust:

Honestly though, I don't notice much difference in performance with it over pump 93.

Back in the '80's, driving back from the Keys near the Everglades I was on "E" I noticed a pump with 100 octane, people used it in the air boats, I asked the guy if people ever used it in cars...so I filled up my '64 Fury and cruised at 120 across Alligator Alley. Maybe it was my imagination but it seemed like the car was on steroids. It was a rush, I'll always remember that day.

Guess that's the added cost of having secure borders, btw who do you get to mow your lawn over there.......LMAO !!!

:finga:

Secure borders? dude they are wideopen we invite everyone and there cousin to come,its so bad that our friendly neighbouring nations wants to close there borders towards us.
with the fuelcosts i cant afford that but there is alot of polish,estonian,latvian,lituanian,romanian and other easteuropeen people here doing cheap work of questionable quality :banghead:

rant of,im jelous that you can get real fuel for what i would consider a good price:cheers:

It is funny what our minds will trick us into..... Especially if something costs more..... It has got to run better, feel better etc! Lol

I thought that AViation gas had parafin in it, which contributed to extensive carbon build up within the combustion chamber/top of the cylinder heads.

Exactly. It gets in people's heads that higher octane fuel is going to produce more power when in reality it doesn't. It only resists detonation better in high comp engines and actually burns slower. If you don't have the compression to need it, race fuel is practically useless.

If you guys would, please explain why some of us have experienced a noticable difference when adding av gas to a souped up engine. (I did not time/jet my previous 360-was told premium {93octane} use only, 10to1 compression)- 'In our heads, the engine ran better/stronger.'- I wouldn't think that could be imaginary for multiple people. I do not think the people mentioning a noticable change are talking about 87 octane-stock motors.?.
I drive a few cheapo cars with my Mopars, but am not confused with the performance of one vehicle from another.

BTW, would it be prudent/benificial to re-time the motor if you changed your regular fuel usage significantly (from pump gas to av) gas ? Does this resistance to detonation help if the mix is leaned out?

I thought ethanol added resistance to detonation/octane, like E85 {15% 87 octane, 85% ethanol} has a 110?? octane rating. Why would an apparent change in motor performance be noticable then? Do you mean pure as in less inpurities?

In one experience for me with the change to up-to-10%-addional-ethanol fuel at the pump I drove a low compression, stock, two barrel 360 in a 5600 pound, four speed, 1977 D300. My buddies and I would tow vehicles from time to time. My friend asked me why I was refueling with premium during a tow and I told him that I experienced detonation during towing (car/trailor++weight) and he was adamant that it was not necessary. We then refueled with 87+ethanol only to experience significant detonation.

This motor was designed with low compression for use during the 70's 87octane bad gas era-I am sure timing needed to be changed but this experience seems to point towards someone being able to notice a change in octane usage.

I don't think that you are necessarily wrong-I just do not understand why some people's experience contradicts your quoted book/engineering like facts.

The only paraffin fuel I'm familiar with is nitromethane. I've never messed with Avgas, but I would not be surprised if it didn't somehow carry an extra oxygen molecule somewhere in the mix to help with high altitude combustion.
If your engine is on the absolute verge of detonation..which is generally inaudible, then I could see where a higher octane fuel would calm things in the combustion chamber and therefore give a noticeable seat-of-the-pants difference...but that's just a matter of putting a band aid over a poor tune.
As for the difference when towing...that's pretty much WHY different grades of gas are available. Anytime you load the drivetrain, you're adding resistance to the reciprocating assembly. That equals heat and heat leads to detonation.
One of the problems with the way we visualize things as they apply to our cars is that we divorce all of the individual systems from eachother to better visualize the various processes all going on at the same time. The truth is that the head of the piston is directly mechanically connected to the contact patch of asphalt under the driving wheels. BTW, that is the essence of the black science of Nitro tuning.

-
Back