Rare Dodge Dart GT? Which engine is this?

-
The Fender Tag will tell you how the car was built, not what it is now. I'm sure there have been several mods done to it. If the car has not been taken apart, then there should be a "Broad Cast" sheet somewhere, that should give you more information than what the tag says. Look on top of the glove box or gas tank. Also under the bottom of the rear or front seats.

What is on the roof? Does this thing have a sunroof?
Yes it does :) Came from the factory with the sunroof, one of few with that feature.

C10AE21D-B7AD-4CA7-BA0B-E3421EC54881.jpeg

583A9791-597A-4379-8155-12588DAB33C6.jpeg

In terms of the fender tag, it’s been very challenging trying to decipher what’s on it due to dirt and paint that had to be scraped off. I can make out a few digits but nothing comprehensive. Is there anything I can apply to it to clean it up?

View attachment 1716041551

View attachment 1716041552

View attachment 1716041553
Scrub the Fender Tag with a Scotch Brite Scuff Pad to help clean up the loose paint on it.

Then wipe it clean with a Terry Cloth Towel.

Then take an Aerosol can of Flat Black Paint and apply a couple real light coats.

Let that dry (flash off to a flat finish) then take a few more pictures of the Black fender tag for us.

The flat black paint will show the embossed stamped lettering only, and will take the multi-colors out of the pictures so we can read it clearly.

You are not going to hurt the fender tag with a light cleaning with a scotch brite pad.

A little light from the side when taking the pictures will help make the embossed lettering stand out more. Creating back shadows around the letters, instead of the light coming down from directly above.

Here is what a one color '69 Dart GTS fender tag looks like photographed.

Screenshot_20230129-233427_Gallery.jpg

I wonder if you could do a pencil rubbing of it? That might bring it out. I would sure be careful with it, whatever you do.
Piece of white printer paper taped around 2" larger than the fender tag on top of it. Then rub that with the side led of a freshly sharpened pencil.

That will highlight the letters too. Good Idea

maybe dealer or aftermarket installed. to my knowledge dodge only started offering factory sunroofs in 69...
Yeah I agree. That's my one cardinal rule with any car. Don't buy one with a sunroof. lol

@heavnxbound_

Try not to get too discouraged by the folks on here telling you that you don't have what you have been told.

Many are super knowledgeable but there is a variable and that is the car was built in another country.

Many different things can happen.

Was the sun roof factory, dealer installed, previous owner installed. What does it matter. It's there.

Is the engine a high output engine, what does it matter. It is an engine and when it runs, enjoy it.

If you are getting the info from your mom and that is the way she remembers it, then that is what it is and it really doesn't matter.

Get the car running, and enjoy it.

@heavnxbound_

Try not to get too discouraged by the folks on here telling you that you don't have what you have been told.

Many are super knowledgeable but there is a variable and that is the car was built in another country.

Many different things can happen.

Was the sun roof factory, dealer installed, previous owner installed. What does it matter. It's there.

Is the engine a high output engine, what does it matter. It is an engine and when it runs, enjoy it.

If you are getting the info from your mom and that is the way she remembers it, then that is what it is and it really doesn't matter.

Get the car running, and enjoy it.
Thanks, Dana! No worries, I might not have all the correct details but that’s why I’m trying to figure this whole thing out after all :) Also it’s been two years since I checked the vin number and it might be wrong but the information I’m giving here is what I remember of it haha.

Last edited:
Looks like the car was originally blue. Probably an import.

We won't know much more without a VIN and fender tag.
I'm going off the primary color on the fender tag, as well as the rub though on that sun roof.
And I'd have to hazard a guess that Norway wasn't building Mopars in a factory back in the early 60's.

Looks like the car was originally blue. Probably an import.

Nice thought, and observation. Look a little deeper it was white.

Look at the blue flaking off the white base on the fender tag.

Good observation though. A for effort.

Mom . . !
Tues Night is car night down at the strip mall.

Put some air in those rear air shocks and wash it up.

Let's GO . . .

Screenshot_20230130-184415_Gallery.jpg

25 years later >>>

20230130_183908.jpg

20230130_184023.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I agree with what someone posted a few pages back, I have a feeling the original high-HP engine that hung with your dad's GTO was swapped for a "tamer" V8 at some point. Unless I missed a post where you confirmed it still has the original engine from that time @heavnxbound_

With that said there's no reason to think any less of the car. Chrysler small block V8s make great power with minor upgrades. Even if it's the smallest version (273) that would be one hell of a fun car with a decent camshaft, 4-bbl intake manifold and carburetor, and dual exhaust (which I'm guessing it already has?).

Anyway let's figure out what you have first and go from there. Also welcome to the forum!

That's a good point. Let's see the back of the car and see the dual pipes coming out the back.

Has had to have the exhaust switched going from slant 6 to a 340.

Nice thought, and observation. Look a little deeper it was white.

Look at the blue flaking off the white base on the fender tag.

Good observation though. A for effort.
it's like they only came in blue and white from 63~65 so there's a 50/50 of being right!

-
Back