rat rods

-
collecting stuff to build one in the future after my dart is done

354 hemi, a833, 8 3/4, I beam 2 inch drop axle

I have a 38 chevy truck cab and a 48 fargo truck.

Basically need to build a frame and add all the odds and ends to finish it off... but that will likely be many years down the road at the rate i am going.

Not mine (god I wish), but figured you guys would appreciate this one. I snapped this at a local car show a few months back. Really cool car, but I think the interior sets it off!:D

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

My thought is that all those /6 engines and 904 trannies still in good running condition should be put into projects like these.

My thought is that all those /6 engines and 904 trannies still in good running condition should be put into projects like these.

Great idea... throw a home-built turbo or blower setup on there for good measure.

My favorite part about old-school hot rods, you always have an excuse for open headers!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYTuBAo8Dk"]Hemi Powered Rat Rod - part 1 ( Hot Rod )_xvid.avi - YouTube[/ame]

I don't have pics but a buddy of mine is building one right now. I believe it's a 55 Chevy truck cab ....notched onto a 85 Chevy frame. The bumpers dang near drag the ground. I can't even fit the tip of my shoe under them.its a multi colored beast with a beer keg tank. He split the fenders and widened them to fit over the tires. Has the dual gull wing hood and the pop up air grabber scoop in the cowl.

Rat rods aren't my thing but it is neat.

collecting stuff to build one in the future after my dart is done

354 hemi, a833, 8 3/4, I beam 2 inch drop axle

I have a 38 chevy truck cab and a 48 fargo truck.

Basically need to build a frame and add all the odds and ends to finish it off... but that will likely be many years down the road at the rate i am going.

i have started getting stuff for my ratrod just small stuff

Ok I'll ask--How do they get away with no exhaust and open headers around here you'd get stopped every town you went through--never liked them but it's growing on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Steve

Ok I'll ask--How do they get away with no exhaust and open headers around here you'd get stopped every town you went through--never liked them but it's growing on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Steve

Guess it depends on how cool the police are. Around here there are so many Harleys with super loud pipes, I don't think a hot rod with open headers would be that much worse.

i would never get away with open headers on anything. i would be getting stopped left and right

I got a 59 willy pickup cab a square body s10 frame ford 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears thats goin to get the /6 and 904 out of my dart when i finally get the stuff for the v8 swap ill post up some pics later you got to love junkyard cars redneck riggin at its best baby lol

I like your ride, way cool. Where is that mural in the picture? I see your in Middletown, near Dayton, right? I'm just outside of Columbus myself.

I like your ride, way cool. Where is that mural in the picture? I see your in Middletown, near Dayton, right? I'm just outside of Columbus myself.

The mural is in Franklin Ohio , They have a awesome car-show there every year in August. It's just south of Dayton .
I drive with open exhaust , seems like the police leave the old ratrods alone about the noise , as long as we drive normally......
They get so much attention . I take this old clunker out and people are all over it , even if I'm next to a $50,000 car at a cruise in....

Thanks
Donnie

Guess I have one,it is a 1951 Plymouth Club coupe, I started with a 318 automatic in the orginal frame, then decided to put the body on a 82 ElCamino frame, big mistake! Painted it in primer just to cover up multi color body panels, frenched headlights, shaved door handles and frenched 59 cad taillights, it has sat unworked on for about ten years. All of this work isn't done, thought the other day of throwing a roll cage in it, and a number on the door and make it look like a circle track dirt car, no rear fenders etc. Will get pics tommorow. Wasn't built with the intention of a rat rod, I just worked on it when I could afford it.

Thanks for the posts!!!!!!!!!! Now I wanna build one this winter!!! UGHHHHHHHH My friend just purchased a partial rolling chassis for one for $1000.00 all he has to do is stick a motor and trany in and he's good to go--Lucky Bastard !!!!!!!!! Steve

Wasn't built with the intention of a rat rod, I just worked on it when I could afford it.

that is what a rat rod is suppose to be. Not someone going out to purposely throw a pile of $#$% together to make it look rattier.:banghead:

The rat rod look is a partially completed rod that will eventually be completed. The rat rod movement got out of hand many moons ago. I prefer the traditional hot rod movement. Building a car from a certain time frame using the parts that were available during that time.

I got a 59 willy pickup cab a square body s10 frame ford 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears thats goin to get the /6 and 904 out of my dart when i finally get the stuff for the v8 swap ill post up some pics later you got to love junkyard cars redneck riggin at its best baby lol

I wanna see that! Maybe a turbo? Lots of room for the plumbing and scavenged parts.

Now I'm thinking of what to do with my two slants and 904s.

Here's few pics mine...built the truck (1935 international) in 2009 for 6 grand total. It's safe and reliable as anything I own...well maybe more reliable than some I own. The bike we built in 2010 for $300.00....yes it runs and yes it's pretty quick....65 cc two stroke motor. I'm constantly tweaking the look of the truck...added bed sides, changed the lighting mounts, interior stuff.....it never ends just morphs.

Made of everything old...mostly 30-50's parts. Used everything MOPAR I could from my stash. My son and I built him a rat bike to match and we load it up and show em off sometimes.

There both a ball to drive but were a blast to build.

Gonna work on the truck seating arrangement this fall. I want to do a wooden bench seat made from old wooden floor planks to match the bed.
The seats in it now look cool but suck for long drives.

Enjoy,

Mop

Attachments

• 100_3155.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_1317w.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_1330w.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_4238.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 299
I still want to take an old Chevy, 30-36, and put a good ol' Mopar engine