Re-upholstering seats

-

red skunk

Reaction score
The front seats on my 66 Barracuda Formula S could use re-upholstering. I was would like to tery this my self but I'm hearing it's near impossible to do if you're an novice. I thinking of getting the Legendary Interior seat covers and replacement foam. The seat frames are like new, the car is pretty clean but the front seats are cracking on the tops of the backs.
Anyone try this at home? Any tips or if anyone know of a book or video to provide some guidance? Thanks for the input.

Pretty sure I saw a post here or on fbbo onhow to do it. Try a thread search, or someone will prob know where it is.

there are couple of good videos on u tube about upholstry.

putting legendary seat covers on is not that hard...

I had never done it before....i did a front and rear bench seat...and now have done front buckets for my 73 duster....hog ring pliers/hog rings and wire cutter to cut the old hog rings...

put the new seat cover out in the sun light for a few hours before starting...on a warm day....

I did it myself also with Legendary covers. Make sure you get the hog rings and the PLIERS. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO IT WITHOUT THE RIGHT PLIERS.You can get these at Legendary as well. Tell them you're from FABO and you will get a discount. It helps to let the covers warm up in the sun before putting on. It helps to have a helper to help stretch the covers but, not necessary. Good luck

Automotive upholstery DIY installation videos are available on line for free, and to rent. Just conduct a search for them. I strongly recommend first timers to view several videos before picking up a tool. If you take your time, being real fussy, and not afraid to rework sections to make them look right, the job will come out real nice, and you will be very pleased. If one is in a hurry, passing off imperfections as close enough, you will be looking at those spots until car is sold, or once again reupholstered…

As you deconstruct the old upholstery and foundation components photograph each step for reference during install.

Budgeting for rebuilding or replacing old foam is a good plan, and while you are at it be sure to replace any burlap, and muslin components. If someone skips rebuilding seat foundation, the end result will be the same old sagging, flaking, uncomfortable seat you started with, now sporting a new ill-fitting cover over that old mess.

It's easy, I have done many. Even the first was simple.

But here is a secret......

Do not use hog rings. Use zip-ties. Zip-ties allow you to position and secure everything in place, then you gently and evenly pull everything down tight.

The Zip-ties will last for the life of the cover.

I was going to install the foam and covers I got from legenday, I sand blasted and repainted the frames, and when I went to install them, the instructions said "moderate to extreme modification to the seat foam is required". Due to that I took it all to an upholstry shop and he did a great job. Only cost me $300. It was worth it to me not to mess up the foam. If there was no modification required I would have tried it myself.

I also found that the seat buns needed to be modified to work well with my 1967 Cuda bucket seats. The necessary mod is made with a razor, cutting three slots in the foam, but not all the way through them. Then the pockets in the covers with the steel rods (reused from original covers) can be fitted in the new slots and hog clipped to the frame. Copy the originals if you want to retain the original look when done. Otherwise, you'll have a flat seat, unlike the originals that had a slight recess groove on three sides.

A novice can do this if you take your time and meticulously follow the old cover's installation details. The pros use steam to relax the wrinkles away. Sunlight to soften the covers will do a good job, but may not get all the wrinkles out.

Legendary covers are awesome!

I've always used hog rings to keep the originality, but zip ties would be easier and just as strong.

Make sure you use burlap (either the old originals if they are in decent shape, or new burlap if not). This helps spreads the load from the buns onto the steel spring frames and keeps deteriorated foam from filling your car with rotted foam dust.

Check out the thread "Bringing the 66 back to life" by 66 Cuda. You can see his pictures and description on what was involved. They look real nice!

Wow!!! Thanks for the tips, searches and moral support. I am now inspired to give this a shot. You are the best. Thanks from cuda273.

I reskinned the rear seat back (with a stock skin from a wreck) and could never get the corners stuffed correctly. After I did them, I looked up the tricks and found that you install it over the top corners inside out and roll it over the rest of the seat like a sock, that way you get the corners nice and square. Heat is your friend as a pliable cover is much easier to work. A local shop charged me $175 a seat to restore them to stock looking with original looking material that is much softer but the corners are not as round. My original buns were STALE, like powder falling every day stale. They felt like the stuff florists use to make flower arrangements with, that gray foam you can stuck your finger into and it leaves a hole.

-
Back