Read this plug please!

-
looks very good, nice bit of color, what plug brand and part number, how many miles, compression ratio?

I think it says 9A-22. Maybe next time you could take the picture of the plug right side up? That would make it easier to read.

Is this like tea leaves?
I see a long and happy future, but wait, oh dear,
tell the wife to lay off the anti-freeze when she cooks.... :D

Looks pretty good, are you having problems?

Again, how many miles? And, what type of fuel are you using?

Plugs shouldn't be read at the tip of the porcelain but down in the body where the porcelain
is cemented to the iron. You should be looking down inside the plug and not at a side view. A strong light and a magnifying glass are required.

again, how many miles? And, what type of fuel are you using?

Plugs shouldn't be read at the tip of the porcelain but down in the body where the porcelain
is cemented to the iron. You should be looking down inside the plug and not at a side view. A strong light and a magnifying glass are required.

this.......

It's the new "wobble" plug. Makes plug wire either closer or further from the header depending on torque.

I'm done and don't plan on wasting more of my time on this. Its why I asked on the type of fuel. These charts were around in the 1960's when there was lead in the gas. Leaded gas and race fuel will give you different plug readings than today's unleaded pump gas with ethanol.

As IQ52 said-You read a plug way down the porcelain.

For you here's what you do.: Buy new set of plugs.
Head to dragstrip
Install new sparkplugs
Push car to staging lanes
Fire car, pull to line
Make full throttle pass
Kill ignition at the stripe
Coast to or get towed to pits
Pull plugs, inspect with magnifying glass or cut threads off.

The ground strap will tell you timing. The "fuel ring" and its location and colour will tell you about jetting.

Here's an example of a plug used for many dyno pulls. The fuel ring is dark and wide. I don't have a clue as to what fuel was used or engine type or anything so I can't really tell ya much about it. It is just an example of what to look for. Sorry for the fuzzy photo. The fuel ring is really dark and thick on this one where the porcelain steps up to the larger diameter porcelain. J.Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20150625-01016.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 243
Only gas ever in the engine is Shell 93 octane.
Thinking I might be lean at cruise and deeper in the throttle even though the idle smells rich.

Thanks for the help yall.
Sorry for the lack of response, I just haven't had time to mess with the car or the internet this week.

ok-I'll post a stupid question--How do u cut the threads off a plug??? Thanks Steve

Only gas ever in the engine is Shell 93 octane.
Thinking I might be lean at cruise and deeper in the throttle even though the idle smells rich.

Thanks for the help yall.
Sorry for the lack of response, I just haven't had time to mess with the car or the internet this week.

A wide band O2 sensor will tell you more than reading plugs these days. (Meaning unleaded and questionable fuel).

ok-I'll post a stupid question--How do u cut the threads off a plug??? Thanks Steve

Lathe would probably do it. Hard part is putting them back on! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Just wondering, does that picture of the plug threads in the OP appear cocked to the hex?

Maybe it's just my :glasses7: or just an optical conclusion.

-
Back