rear disc brakes vs rear drums

-
Disc, easier to work with.

:cheers: THANK YOU! i just have to throw in my two cents. sorry guys,but disk has all the advantages. ease of work,weight,looks(if you care),and they just work better. thats why OEM went to them,and other reasons. i have 6 piston wilwoods on the front of my car with a Dr Diff cobra rear kit. previously had 3rd gen viper setup on front. with both setups my car stops as good or better than the SRT magnum wagon i had. i think the guys that knock them have never ridden in a car with big disk brakes. everyone i take for a ride in my car is blown away with the brakes,manual and with a factory prop valve. if you like stock junk and the look fine,but don't knock it if you can't afford it or don't like it.
also,i have owned my car for 8 years now with green bearings in the rear,the last at least two years have been beating the piss out of it in autocross and road track. bottom line,no bearing issues to date. i really do not know where people come up with this info. i challenge anyone to show up at one of the speed-stop challenges with rear drum and see if they can out brake any of the pro-touring cars. thanks for listening!

Again, intended use applies.
For a HiPo vehicle that you are going to use the brakes to the edge of their envelope, 4 wheel disc brakes should be on your menu. Rear disc brakes do not have the weight or dynamic penalties imposed by drum brakes. The cooling and fade resistance is also superior. Oh, and yeah, they look cooler, which is about 95% of the reason I install them at work.

Are they easier to work with? Are you including your emergency brake into the equation?

I can understand where some folks get confused by more parts to deal with, but I can do a drum brake job just as fast as a disc job. I'm a little older, so I probably have some extra practice. (Don't get wound up, just poking a lil fun).

For most folks, the rear drum set up when assembled properly will do just fine. Remember the whole "locking up the rear brake" thing mentioned? It means your brakes are better than your tires. (given other factors like weight transfer, brake bias, tire sizing, et al.)

Oh, and Wracks, put an adjustable prop valve in your system and spend the time to tune it and YOU'LL be blown away by how good your brakes are.

Are they easier to work with? Are you including your emergency brake into the equation?

I can understand where some folks get confused by more parts to deal with, but I can do a drum brake job just as fast as a disc job. I'm a little older, so I probably have some extra practice. (Don't get wound up, just poking a lil fun).

Oh, and Wracks, put an adjustable prop valve in your system and spend the time to tune it and YOU'LL be blown away by how good your brakes are.

i don't have wilwoods in the rear,cobra mustang,so i don't have the dumb drum e-brake. and i don't need an adj. prop valve,my brakes work perfect and have proved it.

i don't have wilwoods in the rear,cobra mustang,so i don't have the dumb drum e-brake. and i don't need an adj. prop valve,my brakes work perfect and have proved it.

Ah, but not everybody uses those type of calipers in the rear. Some use those wonderful early GM rear calipers with the lovely internal adjusters. Some use a Corvette style internal e-brake drum setup which doesn't even work on a Corvette. Some use Ford Exploder calipers and their fun e- brake in a drum setup or the new variation on it like Baer is now using. To say that rear discs are easier is not entirely true. Plus, Wilwoods don't have dust boots, not the best for all season driving. The Brembo or PBR conversions are actually an option worth looking at in this respect. Wilwood has a very good product and I have installed quite a few, but as with other conversion products, there can be downsides as well.

As far as YOUR prop valve goes, if it works for you, fine. No more discussion needed. Will you go as far to say that that stock, fixed prop valve is good for every combination, track condition or weight bias?

Some use those wonderful early GM rear calipers with the lovely internal adjusters.

I'm one of those guys. I have the Master Power kit that uses GM calipers and discs. Let me tell you, adjusting the slack out them is a *****. One time I had to pull the parking brake handle twice!!!! :mumum:

As far as YOUR prop valve goes, if it works for you, fine. No more discussion needed. Will you go as far to say that that stock, fixed prop valve is good for every combination, track condition or weight bias?[/QUOTE]

i agree with you,it works on mine,but what i am saying is try it first without spending the cash for an adj. prop valve and not wasting time hooking it up. that i swhat i did and it was perfect. for a dude on a budget that just seems smarter. Cass (Dr Diff) told me to do that as well and it worked for me. i have some big *** brakes,and use them,so i don't see why it would not work for him.

I'm one of those guys. I have the Master Power kit that uses GM calipers and discs. Let me tell you, adjusting the slack out them is a *****. One time I had to pull the parking brake handle twice!!!! :mumum:

Do yourself a favor and use that E brake everytime you park or you'll find out what I am refering to. As far as that goes, I can definately do a drum brake job faster than you'll be able to get that piston wound back in to replace your pads. Provided that piston mechanism isn't siezed.

As far as YOUR prop valve goes, if it works for you, fine. No more discussion needed. Will you go as far to say that that stock, fixed prop valve is good for every combination, track condition or weight bias?

for a dude on a budget that just seems smarter. [/QUOTE]

So, for a budget, wouldn't a quality rebuild of the rear drum brakes be a smarter investment? Use quality linings, replace the hardware, wheel cylinders are stupid cheap if you need them, and it's probably around sixty bucks with turning the drums. Plus, you don't have to monkey with brake lines or modifying your E brake system.

Did I mention that I love the hell out of your car?

Check this forum for my post on using Jeep chreokee brakes on the 8 3/4 axle. It really wasnt that hard and Im using the standard bearings.
Andrew

-
Back