Rear drag shock settings

-

3406pk

Reaction score
Just bought set of rear shocks for my street strip Duster. Comp Engineering 3 way adjustable drag shocks. I am going to 1/8 mile track this weekend and wanting setting on shocks to start out. Options are 50/50, 60/40, 70/30. Can anyone suggest setting to start with and will only get 3 test runs before elims. Duster is stock body, full interior, with 408 stroker @ 500 hp,, 727 auto, 3200 stall, 3.55 sure-grip, & MT drag radial slicks. I foot brake and leave line at 2000 rpm. Use pinion snubber and spring clamps. Usually hooks pretty well. Best w stock shocks 7.91 @ 90mph.

When I had those shocks on my car, I left the rears on 50/50 and the fronts on 90/10. My car always hooked well with them (and Hoosier QTP 28x11.5 tires). The picture in my sig had this exact setup at the time.

By the way, at 90mph in the 1/8 you should be able to get that ET to a 7.7x without much trouble. Good luck.

did you have your motor dynoed? I know you only have 3.55 gears, and full interior, but 500 hp would get you way more than a 7.90. thats assuming you hook well, and you said that it usually does.

anyway, my set up on my belvedere bracket car is identical to the settings that Flyfish had in his pic above. it usually pulls the tires almost as much as his, and has been 7.40's with those settings. with much less than 500hp.

i'd suggest starting at 60/40 and have some one tell you if it's getting 5"-6" of raise in the back. also if it's rolling over to the right too much. if it does go to 50/50 on the left shock. see how flyfish's hotrod rolls to the right(no offence). if he tries 60/40 or 70/30 on the right it might leave with the body level. you don't have to have the shocks set the same. don't be affraid to test them at different settings. you just have to try to get the car to react better.

i'd suggest starting at 60/40 and have some one tell you if it's getting 5"-6" of raise in the back. also if it's rolling over to the right too much. if it does go to 50/50 on the left shock. see how flyfish's hotrod rolls to the right(no offence). if he tries 60/40 or 70/30 on the right it might leave with the body level. you don't have to have the shocks set the same. don't be affraid to test them at different settings. you just have to try to get the car to react better.

Yeah, my car used to pull the driver side front tire over a foot off the ground and the passenger side would only come off the ground a few inches....major twisting. The main reason (I believe) was the weak original springs that I was using. This was one of the reasons I switched to the full Caltrac set up, also thinking it would go faster....well, it now leaves level with both tires a few inches off the ground...but it is still not any faster :-/ Here is a link to how it looks now for comparison.

http://www.motolenzphotos.com/dragracing/Mopar-Cut/P2Street-Trophy/IMG_7535.JPG

My wifes Dart, didn't go any faster either Flyfish with Cal Trac's and Comp eng. 3 ways.It also quit wheeling and wasn't any more consistant.Kind of took the fun out of it.
See pic

Attachments

• 221649_1345949465287_1727816449_649175_6998874_n.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 377
  • dart wheelie.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 357
Yeah, my car used to pull the driver side front tire over a foot off the ground and the passenger side would only come off the ground a few inches....major twisting. The main reason (I believe) was the weak original springs that I was using. This was one of the reasons I switched to the full Caltrac set up, also thinking it would go faster....well, it now leaves level with both tires a few inches off the ground...but it is still not any faster :-/ Here is a link to how it looks now for comparison.

http://www.motolenzphotos.com/dragracing/Mopar-Cut/P2Street-Trophy/IMG_7535.JPG

that is diffinetly a better leaving look.

i just don't know why any a-body mopar guy/gal wastes thier money on cowtracks. well i guess there is a bunch of us that just didn't know they weren't any good untill it was too late. i hope folks that are thinking about purchasing them think it about long and hard before they throw thier money away.

The Caltracs seem to be real hit or miss depending on the combo. Some folks LOVE them because their car picks up a chunk of 60' time, which translates to lower ET's....some (like my car) don't get any quicker anywhere. In my case it is probably because I spent years fine tuning my suspension to leave hard. My car may have left the line ugly, but it was dead hooked. I still think the Caltracs are good for some cars. From what I have seen and read, most folks that are dissatisfied with them have cars that hooked well before the Caltracs were added....so there was nothing to gain. Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I am going to Jamestown ND for the once a year event on airport. It's run well and draws a lot of cars.
I set the shocks at 60/40 to start and will see from there. The old shocks were iffy. So hope it helps consistency.

1.27 60' on cal tracs and a brake.... can't be done right????

smallblocknationals_zps45e9273d.jpg

Set those C/E's on 50/50 and test...

-
Back