Rear leaf replacement suggestion

-

SoulSurvivor

Reaction score
I am dropping in a 1500HP(well maybe 400HP)340 in my 69 Dart.
I have a fresh 8-3/4 with 3.91 sure grip and the shock mounting hardware.
But i don't think the old 38 year old rear leafs built for a low hp engine/drivetrain will be able to handle the extra torque.
So....what rear leafs should I buy as a replacement/upgrade?
Thank,
Doug

I like my SS springs. I didnt get that crooked look that most people do. Oh, and I flipped the front hangers.

100_0606.jpg

If you take the stock front leaf spring hanger and rotate it 180 degrees, the mounting hole for the front of the leaf spring will be about an inch and a half higher, thus lowering the car. You just have to take a die grinder and a good bit to widen a couple of the holes. I have heard that if you switch them side to side you dont have to but I didnt think that far ahead to even try. I just started grinding!

SS springs? Who makes them?

You can get them locally through Troy at Westoaks Mopar Performance in Westlake Village (Thousand Oaks). 1-800-748-6118 x255 Should be able to save a lot on shipping and thier prices are as low as most since he's one of the largest MP dealers.

You can get them locally through Troy at Westoaks Mopar Performance in Westlake Village (Thousand Oaks). 1-800-748-6118 x255 Should be able to same a lot on shipping and thier prices are as low as most since he's one of the largest MP dealers.

Thats where I got mine at. Don't know who I talked to but he was a Mopar guy that was very helpful and knew his stuff.

Thats where I got mine at. Don't know who I talked to but he was a Mopar guy that was very helpful and knew his stuff.

That was Troy. He builds his cars from the ground up in 2 car garage.

He's done a tubbed 71 Duster 11 sec drive to the track no-brainer 440, and a few concours restorations on a couple of b-bodies and an e-body. Next project for Troy is a S/S Dart or Cuda "as delivered" clone.

Troy from Westoaks' old Duster:

TroyDusterCollage1.JPG

if your on a budget i got stock replacemnt from jegs heavyduty they work well i also replaced my 7.25 to 8.75 they work great

Not a fan of the s.s. springs,i'm running the extra h.d. springs on my 11.0's street duster..very happy with the performance car 60's in the 1.48 to 1.62 area depending on which motor is under the hood...

Do you plan on putting any traction devices on the car? If so, you need to think about what you buy beforehand.

I have run tired, worn out /6 springs on 10 second or better cars running Cal-tracks.

Check out www.calvertracing.com they have replacement springs with different ride heights, also offer CalTracs traction bars. They have cars running mid 7s in the 1/4 and are a reputable company.. Not to mention, their springs are made in the USA, unlike the Mexico SS Springs.

-
Back