Rear Leaf Springs

-

dmoore

NO IT'S NOT RESTORED
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source for original type leaf springs that don't lift the a$$ end up for Dusters instead of Mopar Performance? Signed, Very Disappointed...........

Anyone know of a good source for original type leaf springs that don't lift the a$$ end up for Dusters instead of Mopar Performance? Signed, Very Disappointed...........
Believe it or not... JC Whitney has leafs. I think some members here bought them.

I am using the JC Whitney leafs on my dart. They were inexpensive and worked out well...The only thing I had to do was upgrade to larger bushings as the springs I got had the larger opening.

I got some for my Barracuda from JC Whitney, and they lifted the back at least 4" and were extremely stiff. I took out 1 or 2 of the leafs and it still sits about 2" higher in the back (which is about where I wanted it) and the ride is good-not too soft, not too stiff.

Espo Engineering or also Springs N Things has some great leafs. They can
set the height anywhere you want also. They some dead stock, or you can
have them lifted slightly for an additional charge. Put them on my Dart
last fall, very happy.

Call the guys at Firm Feel. They have been working on and racing A body cars for years. They'll have what you need.

What springs are you running now?

I ordered the XHD springs from Mopar Performance, not the super stock springs. I asked before ordering them and they told me they were the same as the originals, in this case my 72 Lemon Twist survivor. Ive had em installed now for 4 months. I don't remember any Duster sitting up in the back when they were new. They were level and I remember some being a lil lower than that. I am waiting on an answer back from Mopar Performance. I checked the part numbers and stencils on both and they are suppose to be original rate springs. Thought at first they may have sent me super stock springs but they say the car would sit a lil higher than it is. I don't mind a lil higher than stock, I think it looks really good but mine is really noticable....what do you guys think?

This one really puts it in perspective...

100_1442-1.jpg

100_1304.jpg

That looks a little high to me. I would go with the Whitney or Espo units.
toolmanmike

Its possible that the XHDs will settle a bit. The XHDs should be good springs. The last thing that you want is a saggy a$$.

Something you might consider is getting the adjustable front spring hangers. You can drop the car about an inch with them. If you do that it will most likely need to put wedge shims in to correct the pinion angle. It seems that other members who have used the adjustable hangers or "flipped" the hangers used 4 degree wedge shims as a good pinion angle correction.

That would cost $75 or so as apposed to $300 or so for a second set of springs and this would allow you to adjust the ride height as needed.

By the way, thats a really nice Duster. I've been admiring it since you started posting.

Ok look at my car. Mine are Mopar XHDs. Mine sat a little high too. I just flipped the front hangers (for the rear springs), leveled the car with torsion bar adjustments and got an alignment.

Many of the after-market "stock" springs are made by the same manufacture. Just getting new springs may not help.

Flip the hangers and if the springs settle over time, flit them back. Mine have been this way for 3 years and I have had no problems with pinion angle.

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

WOW! thats high as hell for a stock spring. i have the espo's on jamies dart and am really happy with them.

I'm not gonna go through any modifications at all on this car.........There has to be at least one mfg who makes a quality spring that will set my car level or just a lil higher...I replaced the original 37 year old springs due to the car sagging. I thought I could trust MP but I was without a doubt lied to when I inquired about them prior to ordering. Pictures don't lie and believe me I sent them several. I'm sure they will wiggle out of taking them back, especially with the current financial status. It doesn't matter, they are coming off real soon and someone here will be the new owner. They give a real good aggressive stance, especially if you run a taller wide tire. I just don't see that senario happening with me.....Dave

Its possible that the XHDs will settle a bit. The XHDs should be good springs. The last thing that you want is a saggy a$$.

Something you might consider is getting the adjustable front spring hangers. You can drop the car about an inch with them. If you do that it will most likely need to put wedge shims in to correct the pinion angle. It seems that other members who have used the adjustable hangers or "flipped" the hangers used 4 degree wedge shims as a good pinion angle correction.

That would cost $75 or so as apposed to $300 or so for a second set of springs and this would allow you to adjust the ride height as needed.

By the way, thats a really nice Duster. I've been admiring it since you started posting.

Thanks! Its a phenomenal condition 340 car for sure.....D

That would piss me off too! I have the SS springs on my 69 and it is not as high as yours!
3.jpg

My buddy's stock 68 340S:
IMG_0829.jpg

Flip the hangers?

I would. The front hangers are held on with 4 bolts. You may need to elongate 2 of the holes just a bit to get the hangers in "flipped" (If your hangers have slightly offset studs.

Best thing is it is completely reversible and know-one will never know.

I can't see that lowering the car a substantial amount....an inch...maybe????

And this will lower the height approx how much?

Like I was saying, the back should drop an inch or so. I have SS springs and needed to do the same thing but did not want to elongate any of the holes in the body. I doubt its a problem to do so but I wanted to be on the safe side and got adjustable hangers. It gives the same effect as "flipping" the hangers. I got mine on Ebay but Mancini also has them for a little bit more. http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/manciniracing20.html

Also, See my post #7 on this thread for an illustration of how they work...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=56273

-
Back