Rear seatbelts 64-66 barracuda

-

64cudaV8

Reaction score
Anyone put retractable 3 point seatbelts in there cars? Rear seat to be exact. Fronts are easy. I have small kids and need to do this. If no one has i guess I'll be the first..

Anyone put retractable 3 point seatbelts in there cars? Rear seat to be exact. Fronts are easy. I have small kids and need to do this. If no one has i guess I'll be the first..

I also haul kids around in my '69 Barracuda and went through a lot of trouble to make it safe for the kids. I have a non-fold down rear seat and I know the 64-66 aren't quite the same but if you want to see want I did to solve this problem just ask me to post pics here and I'll do it.
PS- I also made a built-in rear headrest for the same reasons.
treblig

I have a 66 Barracuda. I would be interested in knowing how you put 3 point belts on front seats. Pictures would be helpful.
Thanks

I'll post up pics when I get to it. I havent done it yet. But its a pretty straight forward deal. If you could post pics on your 69 it could be helpful.

I wasn't a FABO member when I built the head rest and seat belt system for the rear passengers so I don't have pics of the building process. I bought a piece of 1/8" X 1 1/2" steel strap and bent it to just fit over the sides of the rear seat and also rise above the rear seat high enough to put a head rest on it. If you look closely at the first pic you can see the black metal strap through the rear glass and behind the strap you can also see the 1/2" plywood covered with interior material. Also in the second pic if you look closely you'll see a smaller metal strap I attached to the bracket and secured the smaller strap to the rear of the car. This extra strap is designed to help keep the top of the seat from going forward during an accident because there will be a lot of load pulling of the top of the seat with the shoulder type seat belts. Once the heavy strap was bolted to the stock rear seat bolts (on each side) I had a solid bracket onto which I could install a padded head rest, attach the upper shoulder seat belt slot and (just for fun) attach a 1/2" piece of plywood for my 2 10" speakers and 500 watts amps. You can see the seat belt reels mounted in the lower part of the large home made bracket. It took a little time to build and fit the heavy metal strap into the car so that it looks good but now I don't have to worry about my kids getting whiplash if I'm rear ended or bad injuries if someone runs a red light in front of me.
To tell you the truth non-mopar folks don't even know I made any modifications at all because it kinda looks like the car came that way!!! LOL!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02677.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC02669.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC02665.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC02664.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC02662.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC02674.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC04124.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC04125.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC04129.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 274
I see what you did. I might go a different route than that. However it is definalty an idea if my other doesnt work out.

I see what you did. I might go a different route than that. However it is definalty an idea if my other doesnt work out.

You gotta do what works for you. Every Mopar model is a little different so I'm sure you'll have to design something that works in the car you have.

GOOD LUCK!!!
treblig

Let us know what route you take with lots of pics. I only have lap belts in my 65 Cuda and it would be nice to upgrade to 3 point belts and would be sfer for the grand kids if I ever get my body work done!

Will do. I'm am quite sure it will involve some holes being drilled. Might not be for everyone.

How about some ugly bolt points up in the hanger area? Or use sebring seats that have the shoulder belt built in.

I might go with 4 point belts in the front. Then 3 point retractable in the back. The 4 point belts look like the easiest and best way for the front. Havent got to that point yet but its right around the corner.

If complete safety is the issue you really need to address the seat latch FIRST. It's not just the belts that create greater safety and it is possible that changing the belts only will make it less safe. Early Barracudas have a sheetmetal floor that is screwed to the welded floor. Attaching belts to that would NOT be a good idea, in my opinion. Check how some modern cars accomplish this and use those parts or engineer your own.

The only part on my 64 that's screwed down is in the package tray area floor. I am not attaching anything there. I have figured out how I am going to do it. I will post pics once I get it installed and make sure its going to work correctly.

Almost done with the install. I have to get some shorter belts. the ones I got were too long for the front. However I can go ahead and make the holes and just drop them in when I recieve them. I'll post up pics soon. I dont have them fully installed yet and the seats are still out for now. I'll try and snap the before and after. It might take a little bit to get the pics up.

-
Back