Rear Stripe Bubbles

-

Hemiroid

Reaction score
I just placed my rear stripe on the Dart, I used soapy water to apply it. After I
removed the outer paper there were all kinds of small drops of water still trapped
under the strip that I cant get rid of. Will they eventually disappear in time?

I would show you a picture but for some reason I cant upload one.

Thanks
Kenny

Use the edge of a sharp razor blade and you can make very small punch holes where the bubbles are and squeeze em out with a plastic or rubber putty knife .

Do NOT make holes in the stripe.
Park it in the sun a few times, and they'll disappear all by themselves.

George

Water and rubbing alcool works the best....50/50 mixture. If you use soap, baby soap works the best. One or two drops. also use a spray bottle. Use you have installed the graphic, spray the paper liner, let it soak for a minute or two. The paper will be easier to remove. If you have bubbles they should disapear in the sun. last resort if they are still there poke try to move the water toward the hole. do not do this in the sun, use will crease the vinyl. put the car back in the sun after. good luck

Thank for The reply's, I am going to park her in the sun.

Kenny

Listen.....if parking it in the sun doesn't shrink the worst of the bubbles, then the best way to remove them is to aerate them properly.......

I've installed vinyl since the 70's when we did snow machines......Too much soap and it's gonna be a long haul usually......Water with about 1/3 rubbing alcohol and just a few drops of dishwashing liquid is the best wet formula for floating a decal.....the alcohol softens the adhesive and really gives you a great adhesion....the soap is for adjustment ease.

Some have used pins and needles to aerate a bubble (they leave a tiny "ring" at the puncture), but the best way is to use a BRAND NEW small size Exacto blade (standard cutting triangle)....These have an incredibly sharp point to work with........after pressing the bubble (at normal temp....NOT heated in the sun) with your thumb to pressurize it to the smallest size, carefully insert the very tip of that blade at the very EDGE of the bubble......then with a wet paper towel (wet with the solution mentioned), press out the remaining air. After the air is removed, press gently and repeatedly with your finger tip (if you have one, a felt half-round vinyl squee-gee is better). The wet paper towel will actually press a tiny bit of the solution inside the hole to help reset the adhesive.

After this process has been completed on any remaining bubbles, sunlight the car to complete the set.

If it's done properly, you'll need a magnifier to find where you've been.

Listen.....if parking it in the sun doesn't shrink the worst of the bubbles, then the best way to remove them is to aerate them properly.......

I've installed vinyl since the 70's when we did snow machines......Too much soap and it's gonna be a long haul usually......Water with about 1/3 rubbing alcohol and just a few drops of dishwashing liquid is the best wet formula for floating a decal.....the alcohol softens the adhesive and really gives you a great adhesion....the soap is for adjustment ease.

Some have used pins and needles to aerate a bubble (they leave a tiny "ring" at the puncture), but the best way is to use a BRAND NEW small size Exacto blade (standard cutting triangle)....These have an incredibly sharp point to work with........after pressing the bubble (at normal temp....NOT heated in the sun) with your thumb to pressurize it to the smallest size, carefully insert the very tip of that blade at the very EDGE of the bubble......then with a wet paper towel (wet with the solution mentioned), press out the remaining air. After the air is removed, press gently and repeatedly with your finger tip (if you have one, a felt half-round vinyl squee-gee is better). The wet paper towel will actually press a tiny bit of the solution inside the hole to help reset the adhesive.

After this process has been completed on any remaining bubbles, sunlight the car to complete the set.

If it's done properly, you'll need a magnifier to find where you've been.

Thanks for your help

Kenny

-
Back