Rear Sway Bar

-

Stacked360

Reaction score
I haven't seen one, was just wondering if anyone knew if a rear sway bar existed for a-bodies with an 8 3/4.

I had an OEM unit from a '75 A-body cop car with an 8-1/4. Don't know if cop cars were made from A-bodys back when they came with 8-3/4 rears.

You can still get an OEM style unit from www.firmfeel.com

my car has a front 1 1/8 sway bar and a rear on the 8 3/4 its stock i just dont know the size

I am very interested, I'm looking to put a sway bar on the rear of my duster.

These are pictures of the cheapy Addco solid non adjustable rear sway bars. They are tricky to get the bushings end links to sit perpendicular with the frame mount at ride height.

On my Dart

vbpgimage.php

On my Barracuda. And yes, the muffler hanger was fixed.

4_6_07CudaAlignment0104Sm.JPG

I stopped and looked at a 64 and a 66 Cuda that were for sale by my house. Both were too far gone to save, but the 64 does have a 4 speed and a factory rear sway bar on the 7 1/4" rear thats in it. I'm going to try to buy that setup, but the owner still has illusions of fixing this car up. If you saw it you'd think... "there's something growing wild behind the shed"!!! If I can, I'll get a picture of it, but I don't want to tip my hand on it yet. Geof

Just did a Hellwig adj. rear bar on my '69. Nice piece,great customer support,easy install. works great!

All the police cars had rear swaybars for better traction and control on bias ply tires.
2 bars takes away a lot of the caracter and fun out of driving a classis though.
Frame ties or connecters with a strong front stabilizer bar and the right radial tires is my prefered setup. Just my .02

Only 75 and 76 Dart and Valiant with police package A38 and E58 360 4bbl got factory rear swaybars. NO OTHER A-BODIES GOT A FACTORY REAR BAR.

Only 75 and 76 Dart and Valiant with police package A38 and E58 360 4bbl got factory rear swaybars. NO OTHER A-BODIES GOT A FACTORY REAR BAR.

Any idea of the diameter of those factory rear sway bars? How about the diameter of the front sway bars on those cop cars so equipped?

It's possible to put the factory bar on earlier cars. One tip off it's factory is that the factory one mounts to the rear subframe, not the axle. It's somewhere around 5/8" diameter IIRC, not sure of the front bar size.

I have Addco on my76 Duster 1 1/8 front 3/4 rear. love the way it drives. have .89 front torsion bars and custom made by me 6 leaf rear springs. KYB shocks. If I had the money I would have 1.0" front bars and Q-1 shocks but for what I have into mine it is a lot of fun to drive and handels better than a lot of modern cars.

swaybar 003aa.JPG

car 021ab.JPG

looking at how the rear bar hooks up to the frame rails sparks a question. what difficultys if any will you run into with the spring relocation kits?

I have Addco bars I got through Just suspensions on front and rear (1 1/8 inch front 1 inch rear) at $98 per kit I couldnt find a better deal. And the performance kicked butt (especially over a buddy's road-race prepped Focus)

-
Back