Rebirth of Dustbull-with 408ci, efi, t56, dana 60

-
Their appraiser can come out to your place and make the damage estimate. You need to get one done independantly otherwise all the coolness of the car will not be reflected in the settlement. They will probably total the car. You will probably also get a chance to buy the remains from the company rather than have them sell it to a salvager.

Sooooo. Get the most you can for the total and pay the least possible to buy back the salvage. For sure there will be a different VIN number on the thing the next time it drives so start looking for a doner to rebuild.

Im already looking for a donor, found one for $750 with a clean title, probably the same shape as the duster that is now a ball of scrap was when we bought it. I cant get a hold of the guy yet though. State farm wants to take the car out of the tow yard to their salvage yard so they dont have to pay the $45 daily fee there ( i live in an appt complex up here, so i couldnt have it towed 'home').

I need to take the plate off of it at the current place that it sits, ill take a lot of pics as it is. the guy at the tow yard has seen my car before and seems very nice.

Dang I am glad you are ok.I hate to see what you went through.

Glad you are ok, good luck with the insurance. I would not be surprised if her insurance tries the "it is only an old car worth $200.00" line. Good to read that you got checked out, as mentioned earlier it very well could take a while before the aches & pains show up. And how you maintained your composure is beyond me. Last time I go thit the guy would not get out of his car until the cops showed up.....

i showed all the boys at work the pictures of your accident. it spawned a lengthy conversation about appraisals of older cars, mid project appraisals , and buying replacement cost insurance which is separate from auto coverage.

did you ever have an appraisal done dustbull? what about the rest of you guys? it is definitely something to think about doing.

what ever you do don't let them cheat you my daughter crashed her dart.( a car pulled out in front of her)the car was in my name so they had the old man to deal with.at first they said they would only pay 300.00 bucks for the car because of is age.the car was only 3 months out of a complete going over.and I told them I wanted 4500 for it no way they said.so I told them to just replace it.I told the adjuster to get on eBay and give me enough money to get another.three days later they came back with 3,500$ so I told them that would work and I keep the car that was crashed.that's how I got the dart.............Artie

Wow!
I'm glad you are o.k.
I sure hope you come out ahead both physically and financially.
Cars can be replaced, but worry about your physical well being first!
I can't believe you don't have whiplash and some very sore knuckles.....

Thanks guys. I do have a bit of whiplash, but not as bad as id have thought either; my nose and arm hurt more than my neck. We never got the car appraised, but like i said, i have reciepts for 90% of whats in it, minus labor of course...and we do have a price in mind of what well take WITH the duster back to us. Getting a vehicle appraised is definatly a good idea, my dad's getting his 63' vette appraised as soon as hes done with the frame off, i think he had the roadrunner appraised when it was completed too.

I would be surprised if the insurance comopany is concerned with what you have into it, unless you have a replacement value (or whatever it is called) type of policy....

Defiantly do NOT settle with out leaving medical open for a couple of years, there should be two checks also one for the car and one for pain and suffering leaving medical open. I've been there so believe me, oh and they will try anything not to pay what you want for the car but don't give in quickly.

Be prepped to go to court. Because you didn't have the appraisal you'll have to go to court and do battle to get the value outta of it. Does it suck yes, but is it worth ah hell yeah!

You need to start talking about your neck hurting. Go back to the hospital and complain. Believe me neck injuries are a pain in the .... I have a plate holding 3 bones in place now. Besides, it will help their insurance find their wallet.

Did your seat break lose or bend the seat back rearward? That was a hellova whack!

Make them replace the car. You should be able to find some sales of comperable cars to show the true value. Makes me want to look into appraised value and underinsured motorist when I insure the fish for the street.

Actually airwoofer, my back hit the seat so hard it bent the recline mechanism so it is stuck in that position now, it cant recline or fold anymore...

It is apparent now that the insurance company will give us 1970 value MINUS depreciation..so its looking like court will be in order...we just want the same quality car we had a week ago before the accident, thats all...

I imagine so which is why I asked. Get a good lawyer... you were sitting there and were hit by behind by a car with a driver that was not payoing attention to what they were doing with a 4000 pound missile. Negligance. Was probably on their cell phone which can be tracked. Did the cops give the person who attacked you a ticket?

Did the seats have head rests? My 67 fish parts car has a set of headrest seats. I do not see how a person would survive a rear end whack without the headrests. At least not my damaged neck.

Don't think I like to gouge people I'm not at all like that I wasn't going to do anything but this was back in the early 80's when the adjuster used to come to your house, he is the one that suggested the amount on medical check and also suggest I leave the medical open for two years just in case. Just informing you on what I went through.

Don't think I like to gouge people I'm not at all like that I wasn't going to do anything but this was back in the early 80's when the adjuster used to come to your house, he is the one that suggested the amount on medical check and also suggest I leave the medical open for two years just in case. Just informing you on what I went through.
No truer words can be spoken on this.6 mouths after my daughters crash she started getting headaches a year later they pined it to her accident.don't cut them any slack they would do it to you..............Artie

Thats horrible Im glad your ok. I had a 67 D-100 got hit out in front of my house freaking insurance gave me 400 bucks and the truck I argued with them for about a week they would budge I kept telling them I can replace a running drive vehicle for 400 dollars how does that make sence it was a mess. Godd luck hope you find another car.

Glad you are OK. Complete crap with the insurance company though. Not unexpected, they will cheap out anyway they can. Fight it and get what you have coming to you. Threaten them with your personal injuries - that will get their attention right away. Get a lawyer.

Thanks guys, were ready for whatever it takes, my dads prepared to get the lawyer too

The rear glass is good; I think you could do a back half on it, if you have a shop and welder.

The rear glass is good; I think you could do a back half on it, if you have a shop and welder.

Yea, we do, and that is a good idea i hadnt thought of before, but for the price of all the sheetmetal that would need to be replaced would probably add up to the cost of a donor. And inevitabley the duster will have a salvage title, so id need a title anyways. Plus that was such a hard impact i dont know what else the impact bent out of shape. The rear quarters were pushed into the door, and the doors into the front quarters. My dad and my friend made the point that the engine hadnt been pushed anywhere-the engines inertia caused it to sit there as the whole car left from underneath it, shearing the rubber mounts..thats why the engine rests 2" farther back now.

I am so sorry to read this. I was just admiring your car the other day on here. I hope you can find a nice clean body to transfer everything to. Good luck and I hope you heal quickly.

-
Back