Rebuilding a Holley 600

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I did a full rebuild on a carburetor. I’ve changed jets, power valves, metering blocks, accelerometer pump cams and such but it has been years since I did a full tear down.
I have these cars out back:

0188.JPG

IMG_1212.JPG

They both have mild 360s with the most basic of all Holley carburetors, the 600 4 barrel manual choke, list 1850.
Sort of like this one:

Holley 1B.jpg

I bought these rebuild kits:

1704505954722.png

Since it has been awhile, are there any tips or short cuts anyone has to offer?
I'm going to get a can of that Chemtool carb solvent to dunk the parts into and I have a few cans of carb cleaner.
I thought maybe I've missed out on some tips since the last time I did this.
I used to do these occasionally 20 or more years ago but got into the habit of either buying new or trading parts or labor for rebuilds from a guy that had a shop in town. That guy moved away so I figured I'd try this myself since I had good luck way long ago.

put a little lube on the transfer tube o-rings

test that the accelerator pump works before putting it back together. same withe the 2ndary diaphragm, and make sure that's not torn and sealed proper.

new chem dip sucks, so expect it to take longer to clean

i like to disassemble on a cookie sheet so stuff doesn't roll away on to the floor and if there's any funk it's contained and not all over my bench or uniform.

You have the most base model 4 barrel carburetor on the planet. WHY did you get the most absolute expensive kits available? You do not need trick kits. That is a major over expenditure. All you need is a simple 45 dollar basic rebuild kit. Trick kits have parts in them that you will never, ever use.

It has been awhile since I did a full rebuild on a carburetor. I’ve changed jets, power valves, metering blocks, accelerometer pump cams and such but it has been years since I did a full tear down.
I have these cars out back:

View attachment 1716188345

View attachment 1716188346

They both have mild 360s with the most basic of all Holley carburetors, the 600 4 barrel manual choke, list 1850.
Sort of like this one:

View attachment 1716188347

I bought these rebuild kits:

View attachment 1716188348

Since it has been awhile, are there any tips or short cuts anyone has to offer?
I'm going to get a can of that Chemtool carb solvent to dunk the parts into and I have a few cans of carb cleaner.
I thought maybe I've missed out on some tips since the last time I did this.
I used to do these occasionally 20 or more years ago but got into the habit of either buying new or trading parts or labor for rebuilds from a guy that had a shop in town. That guy moved away so I figured I'd try this myself since I had good luck way long ago.

Yes on lubing the o rings.
Blow through all the passages with compressed air after the soak and rinse, vaseline the gaskets and put them back together the way they came apart.
Start with 1.5 turns out on the idle mixture screws.
That’s really about it.

Make sure the gaskets you use match the ones that came off.

Those 1850's are super simple carburetors. You'll be able to get that thing working perfectly with one hand behind your back and both eyes closed. Let me know if you need any hard parts or screws or anything. I've got a good amount of spare Holley parts and pieces laying around.

Oh yeah - one thing I always try to remember to do is lightly lap the accelerator pump housing on a flat surface with fine grit sandpaper. A lot of times they aren't flat and will leak from over-tightening the four screws. It's not a bad idea to check all of the flat machined surfaces really, but that accelerator pump housing is the one I've had most issues with in the past.

vaseline the gaskets

Make sure the gaskets you use match the ones that came off.
huh. i never thought of that, i always just used spray silicone. there was a guy i worked with that absolutely insisted, like swore up and down to the point that he wouldn't put one together without using pam, yes, pam cooking spray, on the gaskets.

i agree matching the gaskets to the ones you took off, but only to a point. if you don't know the history of the carb and somebody else was in there and knocked the wrong gaskets in then you're just repeating the bad work. trust, but verify if you're unsure.

put a little lube on the transfer tube o-rings

test that the accelerator pump works before putting it back together. same withe the 2ndary diaphragm, and make sure that's not torn and sealed proper.

new chem dip sucks, so expect it to take longer to clean

i like to disassemble on a cookie sheet so stuff doesn't roll away on to the floor and if there's any funk it's contained and not all over my bench or uniform.

Great suggestions from all so far....I really like the cookie sheet idea too.

You have the most base model 4 barrel carburetor on the planet. WHY did you get the most absolute expensive kits available? You do not need trick kits. That is a major over expenditure. All you need is a simple 45 dollar basic rebuild kit. Trick kits have parts in them that you will never, ever use.

These were $44 each at the only Speed shop left in Sacramento.

Pam works, Vaseline works, chap stik works... Ultrasonic cleaner works a lot better that the current carb dip...

I agree with RustyRatRod, those kits are overkill... But at $44... Renew kit is about the same $$

Tognotti's??

oh, and importantly: light. lots of light. and a magnifying glass.

my shop's well lit and my prescription is good, but hot damn if i still need a flash light and my little pocket magnifyerer. and you bunch are all a fair bit older than me! lolz.

My aging eyeballs NEED extra light, that is for sure. I have some strong reading glasses to use too.
Yes, that was Tognotti's on Fulton. I like to buy locally when I can rather than to order from Summit.

Tognotti's was awesome in the 70's-80's... Last time I was in there it was import heaven...

Do you know what those retail for? Usually around or a little over 100 bucks. You got a REALLY good deal.

Crappage! $182.95 from Summit. Talk about inflation! Can you get some more at that price?

Do you know what those retail for? Usually around or a little over 100 bucks. You got a REALLY good deal.

Crappage! $182.95 from Summit. Talk about inflation! Can you get some more at that price?
Yeah, I'm thinking they sold it as a Renew kit...

The man brought out two boxes prior that were the same size but heavier, they had more stuff in the boxes. Those were $184 each at the store.
I didn't open either of these yet. I'll post up pictures tomorrow along with the part numbers.

The man brought out two boxes prior that were the same size but heavier, they had more stuff in the boxes. Those were $184 each at the store.
I didn't open either of these yet. I'll post up pictures tomorrow along with the part numbers.
Strange. I've never seen regular kits in trick kit boxes.....which is what it is sounding like. You're correct though. A real trick kit will have a PILE of left over stuff if all you do is just re-gasket one. What are the part numbers on the boxes? That will tell the story.

Biggest issue I ever had with those was the transfer tube O rings. When you insert the tube into each bowl, be sure to insert it straight & square so you don't tear the O ring. I would also replace the power valve while you're at it.

I always put the o-ring on the tube first, lube it up with some spit and they slide right in.

FWIW, Make absolutely sure the floats are good and the needle and seats shut down flow for both bowls.
You don't need one failing and polluting your crankcase with gas.

It also has the blue non stick gaskets we like.

DB7EE802-2291-4A0C-8458-93BB126315E1.jpeg

Even on the accelerator pump diaphragm.
0534F9D1-E088-4E85-8EBC-AD19CD06331E.jpeg

Misc clips and pins.

FD12E008-EB15-48D2-9D8B-33B8D437A32C.jpeg

Even instructions!

A36C484E-A78B-40CC-B5F7-F6F12BB486A7.jpeg

FDF12847-B529-4CDD-99D6-4BBBE7E4C2DE.jpeg

That is a Christmas gift price on those trick kits. Somebody screwed up.
For what it's worth, I have been very happy with the Jegs carb kits I have bought for my 850 dp's. Around $25 ea for the last two I bought. Probably more now.
Edit: I guess my comment about the price on the trick kits is a little late.

Last edited:
-
Back