Rebuilding Door Hinges

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I got a set of hinges off a car whose door opened and closed perfectly. Bit upon inspectooi, the pins aren't tight inside the holes, I can wiggle the hinges a little.

Figured I better rebuild them. I know MoparLeo rebuilds em and I already got a quote. But I was thinking about doing the pins and bushings myself.

What kit have people had success with? Does this require any special tools?

I did not have to drill anything. They just tapped out and then tapped in the new ones.

This is the kit In was looking at. Says you need a drill bit and a reamer.

1966-74 A B E-Body Door Hinge Repair Kit
That looks just like the kits I used.
I just tapped them out and tappped in the new ones.
It's possible they may have been replaced by someone else prior to me replacing them and they drilled them.
I don't know but I got the kit at oriellys.

Year one has the best kit I have found.
The drill bit and reamer is less than $20 at McMaster-Carr.
I have used the kit on several mopars.

There are two different kits. One has oversize pins and go back in without the bushing like original. I think it was the lower that did not use bushings, the upper had them.
The bushing kits from the parts store are standard size pin and you add bushings to the lower.

Resto Rick has the best kit, hands down. If you try to use bushings in the lower hinges they will not last. Oversize pins is best. IMHO.

Have some pins and bushings if needed, not mopar but good quality. 10 a set and the ride. PM me if interested.

Don't try it. They never used bushings in the lower hinges. I use over sized pins that are reamed to fit. Ialso replace all moving parts including the roller pins and wave springs. All of my parts are USA made, newly manufactured, no old parts. Nobody sells the roller pins,wave springs nor does any body else replace them. This is what I do. over 25 years, Mopar only. Your choice.
REMANUFACTURED DOOR HINGE SERVICE
HINGE REBUILD PARTS.jpg

-
Back