rebuilt 904 and no drive

-

74 dustaar

Reaction score
My 904 was rebuilt and a shift kit put in. I have reverse but no drive. I only installed the unit, some one else rebuilt it. Anyone with an idea what is wrong?

I'd check your bands for adjustment first. Then move to the valvebody. I'd expect it to be a valvebody issue myself...but kinda hard to tell forsure.

Had this problem once after putting a shift kit in a friends 72 Challenger 904. It was just low on fluid. Maybe you're lucky & it'll be something simple like that.

Running hot I show full on the stick? I have rechecked this many times. Thanks for your advice

Trans guy said he had to replace #2 band and he put a cop car shift kit in it maybe he missed a part? I just got done with a drive train rebuild 360J heads on a fresh 318 with a 355 detroit locker and all I can do is a reverse burn out LOL

There's a pesky little thrust washer between the input shaft and main shaft that can cause this (not that I found this out the hard way or anything).

BUT I'd look at the valve body first. Get your hands on the instructions for the shift kit and make sure all the little balls are in place.

You can also drop the valve body and do a compressed air check to make sure the bands and clutches are applying. That may help narrow the problem down.

I've just run across a tech book that a guy gave me years ago with rebuild procedures and schematics, and some other junk that I can't understand. I guess thats why I put it away.. I'll try to get it scanned in the next couple of days if that will help

Thanks for all the help ! Flat bedded it to the trans guy and it turns out that he forgot to put a check ball in the valve body so it was fixed. Good thing I had to take it to him because the kick down cable is the wrong one and I had it adjusted wrong. Back to Mancinis to spend more money LOL

-
Back