rechrome pricing

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I am thinking about sending my 66 Dart taillights out to be rechromed and was wondering what you think would be a fair price to have them done. I plan on contacting some finishers early next week but not sure what I am going to hear for pricing. I am also going to check on costs for the 2 trim parts that go under the rear windows on the outside that are about 14" long with a slight bend. SO what should I expect to pay for this service? Mine are slightly pitted so there will need to be some prep work done.
Thanks Rod

I recently sent some chrome out to advanced plating in Tennessee. I haven't gotten them back yet, but did some research before I chose them. A lot of what I found is that when it comes to chrome you get what you pay for. Also. Sounds like a 12-16 week process to have chrome work done. So plan ahead

Im in the middle of trying to do a "bulk/group" deal with a local.chrome shop. When I spoke to the owner he said he would deal a bit and a price example was $125 for a door handle. Having a few pits won't increase the price unless its cratered like Uranus. This is Canadian peso pricing. Im trying to get a bunch of smalls done...tail lights external mirrors door handles etc.
Shoot me a pm if you're interested
This is a reputable shop that I dealt with in the past.

I totally agree with Steves65. You get what you pay for. I have had chrome plating done by 4 different places in the Midwest, and have only been moderately satisfied with the results. One time the guy told me, "Oh yes, we can get rid of those pits." Well, he didn't. Advanced Plating in Tennessee has been showcased on the Sunday morning car show "Detroit Muscle" several times. Plus, I have seen some of their work and it was AMAZING. They are more expensive, but how good do you want your stuff to look. I am 100% sending my stuff to them from now on.

The window trim is stainless steel and needs to be polished, not chromed.

Unless you have a chromer that works for cheap and you have perfect taillights, I'll bet it will cost $800+ to re do the set.

Speak of the devil....my chrome showed up today!!!! This is the first time I have gone through this process and I am really happy with the results. Everything was triple wrapped...bubble wrap / paper / more bubble wrap..

The picture of all the pieces really doesn't do them justice....so I added one close up. These are the inside window frame for my 65 vert and the end caps that are on the body where the convertible top attaches to it.

They were hard to take pictures of because of the reflection I kept getting, but they are great...just a couple of minor pits that were not completely removed on the pot metal pillar pieces...you have to hold them just right to see the minor indents in the sun...otherwise they look great!

Attachments

• All pieces.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 359
  • end caps.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 360
Im in the middle of trying to do a "bulk/group" deal with a local.chrome shop. When I spoke to the owner he said he would deal a bit and a price example was $125 for a door handle. Having a few pits won't increase the price unless its cratered like Uranus. This is Canadian peso pricing. Im trying to get a bunch of smalls done...tail lights external mirrors door handles etc.
Shoot me a pm if you're interested
This is a reputable shop that I dealt with in the past.

Package deal is the way to go as it saves in the long run! Do not be tempted to do a few pieces at a time based on cost! Save up and get it all done at once.

What you got back looks great!

I had 5 pieces in total, 4 were pot metal, which seems to be about 2x the price. ....cost me just under $1K.... yes it is expensive.....for rough ballpark estimates they told me it will be around approx $325 for 1 taillight, but cannot give an exact price until they inspect mine, which was also what I found in my research. ....a good shop has to look at the work before they commit to a price

Well I called for pricing on the rear tail light bezels and I was shocked at the price. $200-$225 depending on how bad the pitting is. Where is the cost of the job? Is it the actual metal or the prep work to clean them up? How can you justify the cost of rechroming. Im already way to deep $$$$ into this Dart and cant justify the cost. Wish there were some other options that would look nice like chrome.
Rod

I saw an ad locally offering misc new chrome for a 69 Dart..

I phoned, and it was a chrome shop trying to get rid of tailite bezels, ext rear view mirror, and ext door handles,.. that hadn't been picked up..

I asked how much was due.. over $1000..

I mentioned that new,, the re-pop pieces could be had for less than $400,, and that's likely why he still had them,..

I offered to take them off his hands for a coupla hundred bucks... he said he's throw them in the scrap heap before letting them go for $200..never counter - offered..

go figure..

EDIT Having said that, I never saw them, so perhaps the "quality" wasn't worth picking up..??

Had two '64 Valiant tail light housings done recently for $600. I think you'll find if you want quality work rechroming is expensive, especially if the items are pot metal. I had a rear tail light housing for a 64 Barracuda done at an economy shop a few years ago and the results would not have been acceptable for anything other than a "driver" car.

Two companies I have used and had excellent results with are:
Black Hills Plating & Polishing Blackhawk, SD
Superfineshine Chillcothe OH

Well I called for pricing on the rear tail light bezels and I was shocked at the price. $200-$225 depending on how bad the pitting is. Where is the cost of the job? Is it the actual metal or the prep work to clean them up? How can you justify the cost of rechroming. Im already way to deep $$$$ into this Dart and cant justify the cost. Wish there were some other options that would look nice like chrome.
Rod

Watch this video, I think it explains the labor process pretty well....personally I just think the more expensive shops just spend more time on your part, which results in the better finished product...It's expensive, no doubt about that, but also sounds like you have to really spend time on it to get it right

(Just FYI) I didn't go with these guys because they were even more expensive and reviews on quality were the same as Advanced

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaVgAlHS4XI"]Autogeek Garage - Part Restoration & Chroming (Paul's Chrome) - YouTube[/ame]

Had a very nice pair of '64 Valiant rear bumper extensions/spears rechromed last year. $425 plus 12+ week turnaround. 12 to 16 weeks is the norm unless you are Chip Foose.

soooo... what your saying is find a chrome shop.... tell them your chip foose and magic things happen....i like it...

Unless you have a chromer that works for cheap and you have perfect taillights, I'll bet it will cost $800+ to re do the set.

Looks like I was a little low.. Good thing I put the + after the $800. LOL I have a customer that had 2 pot metal tail light housings for his Cameo pick up restored........$1000! Pot metal is not cheap, especially if it is pitted. Too bad our taillight housings are a one year only piece. Our Chinese friends could cast them in recycled Coors Lite cans for pennies. We could polish them up like chrome and all is well. tmm

yep have nearly two grand into my tail lights. all new or rechromed parts, NOS lens, there is actually 8 pieces to be rechromed. Boy they make a difference in the looks tho. Pitted Pot metal has to be filled with copper to get smooth. Lots of work. But I do have some NOS lens that I could let you have for a real good deal. If interested. NOT a full set, three, two duplicate.

No wonder everybody asks about my chrome powder!!!

One of the big problems we restorers are experiencing has not been addressed here yet. The EPA has made it almost impossible for the old mom and pop shops to keep up with their regulations and stay afloat. As a result, they've been dropping like flies for the last decade and it's really hard to find a place that does quality work at a reasonable price.

Just compare a good triple-plated real chrome job with one of the $40 dress up kits you see online now. The nickel/copper/multi layers of chromium will still look new years down the road while the cheap overseas "chrome" will be pitting, rusty and flaking in a few months.

You get what ya pay for. Choose wisely.

So I used to manage a die casting shop which produced parts, like those mentioned above, directly to the OEM's. They were made of a zinc based alloy, which over all of these years can begin to craze and crack, which makes a re-chrome even that much more difficult. And yes, changes in EPA regulations forced many chrome platers to shut down, and drive up costs for those who survived. Too bad, because I too have a bunch of parts to be chromed as well.

-
Back