Recognize this hose?

-

flynlady

Reaction score
While we were changing the heater hoses in what we believe is a 1976 225 Slant 6, I pulled this off. Do you have a guess of what kind of hose this is?

Attachments

• image-1495136292.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 281
it goes on the front between the water pump and head

its just a piece of heater / radiator hose

3/8" or 1/2" silicone hose, but what's the point?

engfront.jpg

Attachments

• bypass.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 230
i zoomed it and still looks like a heater hose to me .....looks like an old one thats been heat hardened and prolly was ready to crack......it has definately seen better days

225/6 is longer, 170/6 is very short, just about 2'', 225/6 is an inch longer.
The one in the O.P. looks long and is a 225/6 head to water pump hose.

225/6 is longer, 170/6 is very short, just about 2'', 225/6 is an inch longer.
The one in the O.P. looks long and is a 225/6 head to water pump hose.
You are correct, for some reason was thinking 170 was longer. 225 has longer stroke=longer hose.

Are you sure? I always thought the 225 had the shorter hose.
Yes I am positives, the 170/6 is a one inch shorter block and is real close to the water pump, that is the first thing I look at to be sure it is a 170 low deck engine 8-)....:coffee2:

Blue hose like that is silicone hose and used on heavy truck diesel applications because it will last longer than a black rubber hose.

It's a piece of garden hose that some dumbass put in!!!! I couldn't believe it. BUT then again, the idiot had the wrong spark plugs in it for who knows how long too.

It's a piece of garden hose that some dumbass put in!!!! I couldn't believe it. BUT then again, the idiot had the wrong spark plugs in it for who knows how long too.

:D:D Wow! that had to be a heavy duty water hose :glasses7: it must have been made for high heat :coffee2: A temporary fix to get home or something.
Here are the plugs I use, My early drool tube head I remove the washer, on a newer peanut head design the washers stay on :color:.. Wow :D a water hose.

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20009.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 132
That sounds like the original hose went bad on a Sunday night when the parts store was closed and they needed the car to get to work Monday morning kinda fix. Also known as a temporary fix, unless it works! Lol! It's along the same lines as using a coat hanger to hold up your exhaust system. :)

:D:D Wow! that had to be a heavy duty water hose :glasses7: it must have been made for high heat :coffee2: A temporary fix to get home or something.
Here are the plugs I use, My early drool tube head I remove the washer, on a newer peanut head design the washers stay on :color:.. Wow :D a water hose.

The dilemma with the plugs was that the engine is 1976 and the car is 1966. Whoever put in the plugs put in 11/16 when it should have been 5/8. The plugs were loose so that you could wiggle them but had to be painstakingly unscrewed millimeter by millimeter. It took over 3 hours to change the plugs. BUT that's how we figured out we had an newer engine

-
Back