Recommend a Harmonic Balancer internally balanced

-

duster1970

Reaction score
Planning a 416 build and trying to decide on a harmonic balancer. Anyone have a favorite or least favorite? This will be an internally balanced combination. Thanks in advance.

I purchased the Summit harmonic damper, part number SUM-163273. I haven't run it yet, but there are reviews up on it. I have no need to run a SFI 18.1 $300+ damper.

Here's the link.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-163273

Of course, mine is "just a 318, with the 3.31 stroke," and since you're running a 4" stroke I don't imagine that you'd be winding it as high as a stock stroke 318/340, or even 360...

I won't use any stock type, non-SFI one again. They're all junk and slip. The SFI ones are tested and tend to not have problems. Have a $75 balancer cost you $2500 in a blown engine and you'll realize how stupid not spending that extra $225 is...

No reason to skimp on this with an elastomer style damper.

Use either a Fluidamper or the Innovaters West.

Rubber band style dampers are obsolete unless you can build your own. And, you have the ability to test and develop a damper.

Yes, there are many in use. They were and are used by OEM's. It's because they do a reasonable job, across a relatively narrow RPM, FOR THE LEAST AMOUNT OF MONEY AN OEM IS WILLING TO SPEND.

I ran a crappy CAT fluid damper and it ran great. That was a hulk of a damper.

I ran a crappy CAT fluid damper and it ran great. That was a hulk of a damper.

Those are not bad, chink things.

The biggest issue with offshore things like this (any part for that matter) is that you MUST verify everything dimensionally. I have seen some with with .007 press fit and some that were .004 loose. So from bash it on tight to fitting like socks on a rooster.

You have to measure everything.

Check out ATI, can't be beat but they're pricey. I use one on my 2500cc ministock motor and regularly turn 8000 RPMs on the track. In three years since I installed it, I see next to no bearing wear when I do an end of season tear down.

That Jeg's unit looks exactly like the Pioneer brand I use, except mine came clear-coated. Very likely relabeled for them.

yes...the one I got is clear coat ...and i believe it is the pioneer balancer

-
Back