Recommendations for 340 head gaskets and timing chains?

-

340GTSport

Reaction score
Hi I am going to be doing a head a cam swap on a 340 that has the lower compression pistons to raise the compression ratio. So I could use any input about head gaskets that have been used recently or with out problems. I am looking for hard gaskets that are thin when compressed to work with the smaller chambered aluminum heads I am going to be using to bring up the compression as much as I can . The 340 is 30 over does that play a part in selecting a gasket?

I am also looking for recommendations on a roller timing chains

thanks for your time an comments

I would only run a Composition Gasket with aluminum Heads
The best are Cometic and they will make them in a wide variety ot
thicknesses but the are PRICY!
On a budget I would run Felpro 1008 that are not cheapy but less than
1/2 the cost of Cometics.

Hi I am going to be doing a head a cam swap on a 340 that has the lower compression pistons to raise the compression ratio. So I could use any input about head gaskets that have been used recently or with out problems. I am looking for hard gaskets that are thin when compressed to work with the smaller chambered aluminum heads I am going to be using to bring up the compression as much as I can . The 340 is 30 over does that play a part in selecting a gasket?

I am also looking for recommendations on a roller timing chains

thanks for your time an comments
What cc cylinder heads are you running?

I would recommend something from Rollmaster (JP) for a timing set.

Cometic makes a SBM head gasket that is a 4.080 bore and is .028 thick. I just put that same gasket on the motor going in my Barracuda. Go to Summit Racing and see if they have any left.

the heads that I Have are 65cc that have been cut 40 with what I believe is the silvolite 1267 piston I would add some pictures or links to parts but I have no idea how to do that . Sorry.
also how do prep the deck of the block for a cometic gasket . I have only use gaskets that are like felpro or over the counter part before. I thought I read something saying that the surface has to be really clean or flat or something of the sort I can remember?

Last edited:
the heads that I Have are 65cc that have been cut 40 with what I believe is the silvolite 1267 piston I would add some pictures or links to parts but I have no idea how to do that . Sorry.
also how do prep the deck of the block for a cometic gasket . I have only use gaskets that are like felpro or over the counter part before. I thought I read something saying that the surface has to be really clean or flat or something of the sort I can remember?

If you call them they will explain it to you what needs to be done I went through the same thing when installing my aluminum heads.

Edelbrock recommends the felpro 1008 in the install literature, so I would just use those.

I got a chance to look at the rollmaster timing sets there’s 3 of them the red cs5000 an 2 different gold ones cs5010 , and a cs5020 . I don’t think cs5020 is for me as it some odd looking adjustment on the cam gear . But the other 2 options I really didn’t think there was any difference but I’m sure there is. Can some one tell me the difference.

The gold series 5010 is what I run on mine, main difference is nitrited sprockets IRC, think the red still has the IWIS chain but worth checking before you buy. The 5200 has a vernier adjustment for cam gear.

-
Back