Recommended 4bbl carb for stock 318

-
Well, Well, Well
:)
I hope anyway
I came across a double pump Holley carb, for next to nothing with part number 65-9834. And from what I can seem to find out, it's a 4160 600CFM with electric choke for universal and ford applications. View attachment 1715227220 View attachment 1715227219

Is this info correct? If so, is it a reasonable choice to go with?
It seems almost the same as the others in specs.

Thoughts?

If that is new, I'd sell it on eBay and get what you want. Ford guys like Holleys.

VolksDuster - I am by no means an expert. But I can tell you that there is only 2 basic differences between a 1405 and a 1406. #1: The 1406 is an electric choke, and the 1405 is a manual choke. #2: The 1406 is called an economy, and the 1405 is called a power (or something like that).

But, it's just the friggin jets and metering rods they're shipped with that make the difference with #2. Maybe a different step up spring, I can't remember. The rods and springs are Mickey Mouse easy to change. The jets are a bit time consuming but easy enough. I've changed all those things many times.

For example: I could not get my Scamp lean enough with a 1407 (manual choke 750 cfm) that it came with, even with the tuning kit. So, I bought a 1405 for the manual choke, but I wanted the economy tune to start out leaner that I was at with the 750 cfm. So I bought the 1405 and immediately put the jets and metering rods called for from the 1406. In effect it was the 1405.5 :D A 600 cfm carb with the economy tune.

I have an AFR gauge and have tuned it from there. I'm at the limit of what is possible with the 600 cfm tuning kit. But I'm too rich cruising, just a skosh lean accelerating, and spot on a WOT. That's based on the AFR gauge. If anyone were to drive it and pay no attention to the AFR gauge, they'd think it was spot on. A local shop took it out after an alignment and came back and said, "that ole Scamp sure runs good."

They're suggesting you go with the 1406 based on your input of cheap and reliable (was it?). 2 of 3 is correct. Cheap, powerful, reliable. You can have 2 of the 3. The Eddy 1405 / 1406 is less expensive than the Holley (at least new), and in my opinion, easier to tune. Because you can change things around without spilling gas all over the engine. I hear the Eddy it's reliable (working good for me), and is powerful enough. But I hear the Holley can make more power all else being equal.

There's my $0.02 worth. Let me know if you need change back! :D

If that is new, I'd sell it on eBay and get what you want. Ford guys like Holleys.
Sorry I have to make a correction.... I was obviously overloaded at the time. I meant to say I have a double pumper as well as that Holley 4160 600CFM VS. The double is an 850CFM Holley which was tried as a joke a while back and the boxed is the 4160.

No. They are squarebore pattern. I don't think RRR knew the OP was going to use a spreadbore type intake.
Actually I do have the adapter plate for square to spread, and I thought I mentioned that. So basically I can run any spread or square bore carb.

Actually I do have the adapter plate for square to spread, and I thought I mentioned that. So basically I can run any spread or square bore carb.
Yes I saw the adapter. I was strictly answering 66f's question.
Everything you had with the 850 cfm 4150 will transfer over to the List 1850 4160.

No. They are squarebore pattern. I don't think RRR knew the OP was going to use a spreadbore type intake.
Will the eddy 1405/1406 fit the spreadbore intake without the adapter/spacer. That is my main concern I have the same intake as the OP with a 1850 Holley and i really don't want to run a spacer.

Sorry I have to make a correction.... I was obviously overloaded at the time. I meant to say I have a double pumper as well as that Holley 4160 600CFM VS. The double is an 850CFM Holley which was tried as a joke a while back and the boxed is the 4160.
You should sell them both and buy the eddy like everyone has suggested.

I was hoping they would be a spread bore alternative, and if it was the OP could forego the adapter. Thanks again!
That, IMO, would have been ideal. But it seems he has averything he needs.
Will the eddy 1405/1406 fit the spreadbore intake without the adapter/spacer? That is my main concern I have the same intake as the OP with a 1850 Holley and i really don't want to run a spacer.

The Street Demon and the Edelbrock's have dual pattern baseplates. The question of whether it will work without an adapter comes down to whether the primary throttles can open without interference. Also on some intakes sealing surfaces don't line up. Either case requires an adapter. Short (1/8" thick) plates are sold for this purpose, as well as the taller tapered one like Volksduster showed. As a rule of thumb, the thin ones are not a good method.

In operation and construction, the Street Demon's are similar to the Thermoquads. So why not go with a carb that matches the intake?

Last edited:
Which that 850DP,you are gonna trade me for something, right? lol

VolksDuster - I had to cut out early so I read about half the thread and added my $0.02. I see I missed the fact that you found a dirt cheap Holley. I don't blame you there. So, ignore my post!

That, IMO, would have been ideal. But it seems he has averything he needs.

The Street Demon and the Edelbrock's have dual pattern baseplates. The question of whether it will work without an adapter comes down to whether the primary throttles can open without interference. Also on some intakes sealing surfaces don't line up. Either case requires an adapter. Short (1/8" thick) plates are sold for this purpose, as well as the taller tapered one like Volksduster showed. As a rule of thumb, the thin ones are not a good method.

In operation and construction, the Street Demon's are similar to the Thermoquads. So why not go with a carb that matches the intake?
That is exactly why I want the street demon. I do not want to run that stupid spacer.

Hang on,spacers have been shown to make power
Sure - often they do. He's talking about an adapter. An adapter plate is more likely to be problematic. A taller spacer type adapter is still a roll of the dice - except unlike straight spacer - yer stuck with it.

That is exactly why I want the street demon. I do not want to run that stupid spacer.
I think your best choices are a Thermoquad or Quadrajet. If you really want the SD, you can measure or better yet, trace your intake's surface and then compare it to the base of the Street Demon. Then you'll know if an adapter will be needed for the throttles. A little sturdier method than tracing paper is to use thin cardboard and a soft mallet.

If I had a spread bore manifold laying around, I would pull the demon off my engine and see if it would fit.

Sure - often they do. He's talking about an adapter. An adapter plate is more likely to be problematic. A taller spacer type adapter is still a roll of the dice - except unlike straight spacer - yer stuck with it.
Yea and it adds all kinds of issues in the lockdown linkage and throttle cable throws off the angle I dont want to have to fool with it. But I already have it so I'm gonna use what I have for now. Street demons in the future.
I think your best choices are a Thermoquad or Quadrajet. If you really want the SD, you can measure or better yet, trace your intake's surface and then compare it to the base of the Street Demon. Then you'll know if an adapter will be needed for the throttles. A little sturdier method than tracing paper is to use thin cardboard and a soft mallet.
I read on there website they fit both square and spread intakes it does say it does not fit the 4 hole spread bore intakes which i dont have anyways. I found a good deal on factory refurbished street demons may be worth trying.

Not that I am aware of, unless it is an aftermarket intake with dual bolt pattern.
Oh I missed this. I was under the impression they would bolt on without an adapter. We gotta find some one to try it. I gotta spreadbore intake if anyone wants to send me a street demon! Lol:lol:

Yea and it adds all kinds of issues in the lockdown linkage and throttle cable throws off the angle I dont want to have to fool with it. But I already have it so I'm gonna use what I have for now. Street demons in the future.

I read on there website they fit both square and spread intakes it does say it does not fit the 4 hole spread bore intakes which i dont have anyways. I found a good deal on factory refurbished street demons may be worth trying.
I put mine together and after a few tries of the different linkages it is perfect. There is no changing of throttle cable position, end connection location/type, kickdown linkage (with an adjustment), or vacuum lines. However you do need to bend the fuel line a bit to get into place. The difference for me was in the universal install the came with it, the one that was on it was to long and wrong cable location. I'm sure you can get it to work properly. I'll also take a picture if needed so you can have a look, I'll be back working on it this weekend.

Also I think it should be noted I have had a couple more people tell me the Thermoquad "could be the best" if it's just right. However, I won't know until I get one cheep that I can rebuild for the knowledge and to try out. I also want to try the Demon at the same time. WOW, my thoughts are big when I have no money.

I'm not sure if you seen the new thread started on the Edlebrock carb? take a look, I have a feeling it could become a battle ground if people keep disagreeing to the disagreement. Ha

The Street Demon WILL a spread bore intake, but ONLY if it has the dual bolt pattern. You do have to use the thin Edelbrock plate to block the secondary bulges so they do not leak vacuum, but that's all. It's only like 1/16" of so thick. No adapter is required. Of course if you want to use the thick 1" adapter, that will work, too, but I think they are cheesy.

And I would have to see drag strip results about adapters ADDING power. I do know that they do move the power band UP in RPM range, but I think it's splittin hairs to say they add power. At any rate, on a street engine, it most certainly IS splittin hairs.

-
Back