Recommended 4bbl carb for stock 318

-
The 625 street demon may also be a good carb, I ran one on a stock 318 for a few years, it has small primary which help with throttle response and mileage.

I have had no issues with this carb, but you do have to buy the mopar throttle rod, because the stock one off the 2bbl will not work.

Demon Carburetion Street Demon Carburetors 1901

I almost threw that in the mix, but didn't because I felt like the OP was confused enough already. I have a 625 Street Demon on my Ford truck and drive it daily. I like the heck out of it.

I almost threw that in the mix, but didn't because I felt like the OP was confused enough already. I have a 625 Street Demon on my Ford truck and drive it daily. I like the heck out of it.

I like the one I have too also, I bought it when they first came out, and it has been trouble-free, basically all I did was set the idle speed, and shut the hood, it is still un-touched after all these years.

I like the one I have too also, I bought it when they first came out, and it has been trouble-free, basically all I did was set the idle speed, and shut the hood, it is still un-touched after all these years.

I found mine on Ebay dirt cheap. It would be for me to buy it. lol It had a broken secondary air door spring and needed a kit. A Thermoquad secondary air door spring is a direct replacement, FYI. After that and a clean up and a kit, it runs as new. I love how strong that third barrel is when it drops open.

I found mine on Ebay dirt cheap. It would be for me to buy it. lol It had a broken secondary air door spring and needed a kit. A Thermoquad secondary air door spring is a direct replacement, FYI. After that and a clean up and a kit, it runs as new. I love how strong that third barrel is when it drops open.

They do sound good at open throttle, reminds me of the old thermo-quad when they are wide open.

Trying to steer him that way, but it's difficult.
It works, has a manual with a chart.

It's a hot rod'rs carb, I'd just the same recommend the holley 600... but people veer to the shiny.lol I can tune both and get close.....I have my own preference of course.

Do you think that it perform as good or better than a old holly 4160 1850?

I have an 1850 set up strictly for fuel mileage. It made 32mpg on one of my 367 iterations. I had it so I tuned it, but I would never buy one on purpose.
I guess it might be OK on a 318, but I would still never pay money for one. I'd install a Quadrajet first on a smallport spreadbore intake first.

Yellow,
Well as for confused - not really, but I was a bit frustrated.
It is very easy to see that really this is a matter of preference and suggestion from anyone which is based on what a person has upgraded to with the most success.
I have had suggestions for the Demon carb locally off the forum, they also loved their carb. And as for the Holley, Edlebrock, Carter's, and others, there have been good reviews depending on who you ask. But also every carb has had bad opinions as well.
Now I did say I was going to go with the 1406 as suggested and I think I still will because they sound easy to work on but I'm having a hard time finding an unpolished finish... I just never thought about preference and maybe the look being combined sometimes. When this was suggested I assumed this was a basic carb and not flashy, but really it doesn't matter because that's only preference as well.
When it comes down to it I am able to get the Edlebrock, Holley, and Demon for roughly the same price. Since I can see the fuel economy and power gains arn't that different and anyone of them can be tuned for such. So it is going to come down to workability, what I mean is which carb has the most options for jets and needles and is easy to work on. I say jets and needles because when I eventually get a cam, I will want a bit more fuel on the top end and have drivability in low rpm's with out having to upgrade carbs.

I just hope I'm correct and everyone feels the same way

Yellow,
Well as for confused - not really, but I was a bit frustrated.
It is very easy to see that really this is a matter of preference and suggestion from anyone which is based on what a person has upgraded to with the most success.
I have had suggestions for the Demon carb locally off the forum, they also loved their carb. And as for the Holley, Edlebrock, Carter's, and others, there have been good reviews depending on who you ask. But also every carb has had bad opinions as well.
Now I did say I was going to go with the 1406 as suggested and I think I still will because they sound easy to work on but I'm having a hard time finding an unpolished finish... I just never thought about preference and maybe the look being combined sometimes. When this was suggested I assumed this was a basic carb and not flashy, but really it doesn't matter because that's only preference as well.
When it comes down to it I am able to get the Edlebrock, Holley, and Demon for roughly the same price. Since I can see the fuel economy and power gains arn't that different and anyone of them can be tuned for such. So it is going to come down to workability, what I mean is which carb has the most options for jets and needles and is easy to work on. I say jets and needles because when I eventually get a cam, I will want a bit more fuel on the top end and have drivability in low rpm's with out having to upgrade carbs.

I just hope I'm correct and everyone feels the same way
Man something iv learned on here is you ask one question and get 5 different answers and 5 more questions. Lol everyone here has there own opinions and I'm sure non of them are wrong. Most of these guys know there stuff and sometimes there is just more than one answer to the question dont get frustrated I'm still learning also I ask questions and ignore the smart asses lol the only way to learn is to ask and do it for yourself. Me personally I try to learn from others mistakes. I'm still in the battle of deciding a carb to I have a holley 1850 iv had for years but I also I'm thinking about buying a street demon or 1406. I guess I will let my wallet decide for me when I get to that point.

I have an 1850 set up strictly for fuel mileage. It made 32mpg on one of my 367 iterations. I had it so I tuned it, but I would never buy one on purpose.
I guess it might be OK on a 318, but I would still never pay money for one. I'd install a Quadrajet first on a smallport spreadbore intake first.
Man something iv learned on here is you ask one question and get 5 different answers and 5 more questions. Lol everyone here has there own opinions and I'm sure non of them are wrong. Most of these guys know there stuff and sometimes there is just more than one answer to the question dont get frustrated I'm still learning also I ask questions and ignore the smart asses lol the only way to learn is to ask and do it for yourself. Me personally I try to learn from others mistakes. I'm still in the battle of deciding a carb to I have a holley 1850 iv had for years but I also I'm thinking about buying a street demon or 1406. I guess I will let my wallet decide for me when I get to that point.

Well, Well, Well
:)
I hope anyway
I came across a double pump Holley carb, for next to nothing with part number 65-9834. And from what I can seem to find out, it's a 4160 600CFM with electric choke for universal and ford applications.
Picture 029.jpg
Picture 028.jpg

Is this info correct? If so, is it a reasonable choice to go with?
It seems almost the same as the others in specs.

Thoughts?

Well, Well, Well
:)
I hope anyway
I came across a double pump Holley carb, for next to nothing with part number 65-9834. And from what I can seem to find out, it's a 4160 600CFM with electric choke for universal and ford applications. View attachment 1715227220 View attachment 1715227219

Is this info correct? If so, is it a reasonable choice to go with?
It seems almost the same as the others in specs.

Thoughts?
not a double pump, it's a vacuum secondary

That's even better for fuel economy and still get good power is it not?
  • Double pumpers only open the back barrels when you mechanically push the accelerator far enough to open them. That would not occur in normal driving.
  • The idea of the vacuum secondary is to give the motor the "right" cfm's as the engine needs them.
  • Both carbs can work well when set up properly. The "table talk" is that vacuum secondary is "better" for the street due to most cars having less gears or converter than a drag car or pro streeter, so to speak. My opinion, this idea is false. I've ran 750 double pumpers on very mild 318's that worked flawlessly. Was it more than the 318 needed? sure. Did it affect the running? nope.

That's pretty much the same carb I have now. Mine is a 1850-3
Have you had any issues with your 1850? If not I can't see any reason not to use this 4160 carb unless someone has had specific trouble.
So really, is it going to come down to final tuning for equal performance from each different carb?
And then swayed by differences in the ease of tuning. Because really if they can all do the same thing I don't mind extra work to tune it up, especially if it saves me like 400 bucks :) which can go toward the next upgrade.

Wow, thoughts and options can sure change fast... At least I'm not alone. I understand why you have been contemplating on this for a while.

By finding that carb at a good price, you’ve pretty well decided to go that route with your 4bbl upgrade.

Perhaps best to stop second guessing and commit to using that carb. Let us know how your progress is with that one!

Have you had any issues with your 1850? If not I can't see any reason not to use this 4160 carb unless someone has had specific trouble.
So really, is it going to come down to final tuning for equal performance from each different carb?
And then swayed by differences in the ease of tuning. Because really if they can all do the same thing I don't mind extra work to tune it up, especially if it saves me like 400 bucks :) which can go toward the next upgrade.

Wow, thoughts and options can sure change fast... At least I'm not alone. I understand why you have been contemplating on this for a while.
Idk yet my engine isn't running yet. I bought the carb years ago and never used it.

The thing about double pumpers is when you whack it WOT, you get all 4 barrels.
If you do this at a dead stop with an 1800 TC, and 2.76s, and it doesn't spin, you are almost guaranteed a big fat bog. Now with a 2400TC and 3.55s, she is almost guaranteed NOT to bog, and you will have instant rpm. As you release the throttle a little, first the secondaries will begin to close...... so you can control the severity of the wheelspin by dialing out throttle. This makes controlled sliding and drifting possible, and also restarting spins at speed.

The thing about VS carbs is when you whack it WOT, from a dead stop,you get just 2 barrels. If you do this with an 1800TC and 2.76s,you will have to wait for the secondaries to open. Maybe a long time, since it ain't gonna spin until the Rs get up a little, say around 200/220 ftlbs or something like 2200rpm, so wait it out, this is about 22 or more mph. Then they will finally be open, hopefully all the way; but by this time it's doubtful a teener can spin the tires.
But again, with a 2400TC and 3.55s, you have enough TM (Torque Multiplication) to initiate a spin from a dead-stop, and so the Secondaries will open, allbeit not as rapidly as a double pumper.But if you back out of the throttle, they will close faster than a DP, and you will have to wait again, just a bit, for them to re-open. But if your wheels have stopped spinning, it's doubtful that you can restart the spin. This makes drifting and sliding and fishtailing practically impossible unless you keep it floored and work the brakes, and that only works until the brakes puke. All-in-all very unsatisfactory and sometimes downright embarrassing, like when you have a car-full of men totaling an extra 500/600 pounds; just fogetabowdit. Or like halfway thru a sliding corner and for some reason you have to lift a bit. Now your steering is close to full-lock, and as soon as the tires stop spinning, you are off-roading, and hopefully just in the weeds. On two wheels this would be "high-sided", and usually ends up with flight-time and personal injury.
Like I said, I wouldn't buy one on purpose. They are ok for straight-line work, and a lil extra in passing gear.

• Double pumpers only open the back barrels when you mechanically push the accelerator far enough to open them. That would not occur in normal driving.
  • The idea of the vacuum secondary is to give the motor the "right" cfm's as the engine needs them.
  • Both carbs can work well when set up properly. The "table talk" is that vacuum secondary is "better" for the street due to most cars having less gears or converter than a drag car or pro streeter, so to speak. My opinion, this idea is false. I've ran 750 double pumpers on very mild 318's that worked flawlessly. Was it more than the 318 needed? sure. Did it affect the running? nope.
Again his is going to bring it to the owners Besides I'm not looking for a street/strip car just a good driver
By finding that carb at a good price, you’ve pretty well decided to go that route with your 4bbl upgrade.

Perhaps best to stop second guessing and commit to using that carb. Let us know how your progress is with that one!
I am going to try it out tomorrow night. And I realized my intake isn't a square bore though, it's an oval from a 71' 340 that seems to have been only used for on year? odd?. But that's no problem I have an adapter from the 850CFM attempt a while back. Also the carb includes different pivot arms, a stock thermo coil adapter, and a couple other little things. So ill let you know in the evening how it goes.
Intake Manifold - 1.jpg
Intake Manifold - 2.jpg
34-9834 Holley Carb - 7.jpg
Spacer and Square bore adapter.jpg

Again his is going to bring it to the owners Besides I'm not looking for a street/strip car just a good driver

I am going to try it out tomorrow night. And I realized my intake isn't a square bore though, it's an oval from a 71' 340 that seems to have been only used for on year? odd?. But that's no problem I have an adapter from the 850CFM attempt a while back. Also the carb includes different pivot arms, a stock thermo coil adapter, and a couple other little things. So ill let you know in the evening how it goes.
View attachment 1715227382 View attachment 1715227383 View attachment 1715227381 View attachment 1715227384
What is that vacuum port plug in the intake runner? Looks like a bolt and washer. Watch for vacuum leaks there.

You are making things way more difficult than they need to be.
What are you going to do for linkage and kickdown ?
Have you thought of that ?
And a smog egr thermoquad intake teamed up with a Holley ?
Very interesting decisions. Its like you got some very informative information for your question, and then have gone in a complete opposite direction.

Last edited:
-
Back