Referee Inspection!

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
has anyone here had to deal with the california referee inspection? we recently did a swap on my uncles bronco (i know, not a mopar) and now we have to go get it certified. It now has a 331 stroker with a kenne bell supercharger on it that is 50 state legal but am concerned with how in depth they might look. Johnny.

Never hered of such a thing. What is a referee inspection? Why did you tell them you did any thing at all? What they don't know wont hurt you. LOL

they are state inspection centers where a tech checks over your entire vehicle. they go through vehicles with motor swaps, modifications, etc. when the smog guys question the legal b.s. on a car. I wish there was a way around this but no way out when you have to deal with modified newer vehicles. if it was just a newer motor swap we wouldn't have this problem but the supercharger, headers, etc. kinda stands out.

O I see now. Ya thats why I just use new cars for drivers and have the old ones that don't need smoged to play with. I would think as long as all the parts you put on are C.A.R.B. aproved you should be good.

I haven't dealt with it, but I will some time soon, but our situation is completely different. We put a 96 318 Magnum in place of an 84 318 two barrel in the 84 Ramcharger. It's all stock and staying all stock.

I tried to talk him into doing a 351 swap but he ended up getting the supercharger setup for only $500 from a kid who had no idea what he had. $3,000 when it was new, plus it only had a few thousand miles on it. I soooooooooo wish this truck was pre smog.

Just an FYI: Years ago (and I don't know what has changed since then), the refs use to go by the year/make/model of the body/chassis to determine what smog-related equipment was needed to pass.

From what I remember being a smog tech. You want make sure you have the EO/Carb numbers visible on the part(s) and i think they go off what year your new enigne is not the car so if you have ie. a 96 engine in an 84 vehicle you have to go off the 96 emissions and all the emissions equipment with that year of enigne. But you cant use anything older than an 84. My old stall mate put a 5 liter in a old toyota 4 runner but didnt pass since the headers didnt have and EO/Carb number stamped into it. Hope this helps

Roger

Roger, you are correct. That's why we were not going ot attempt this swap without an entire truck to take parts from. All of the wiring is from the 96. Just have to get the fuel tank system sorted out.

-
Back